Just Picked Up a Marlin 1895SBL

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Just Picked Up a Marlin 1895SBL

Post by arizona-hermit » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Oh Boy!

I had read so many horror stories online about the way Remington bought out Marlin and their quality control took a dive on the new Marlin products.

I had considered getting several different 45-70 lever rifles, but none were made in America, so I checked out the Marlin offering and the short barreled stainless 1895 just caught my eye.

Since I have never had a problem with Gallery of Guns (Davidson's) and they offer a lifetime replacement warranty, I took the plunge and ordered one.

Picked it up today and after my initial inspection, I am quite pleased with it. Same old Marlin quality as far as I can tell. Excellent finish, great wood/metal fit, clean, crisp trigger, smoooooth lever. I just know I am going to love it assuming I can get strong enough to actually go shoot it soon.

I will post pics and a field report once I make some smoke with it.

Can hardly wait :wink:
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Good for you sounds like a fun big boomer to shoot. My shooting bud has a couple of Remlins/ or Marlongtons? on each in .44Sp/..44 mag aonee one in .38Sp/.357mag, both 1894C'S? and the shoot and operate just fine for whaT THAT IS WORTH.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:39 am

I picked up a Marlin 1895 blued/wood stock, octagonal barrel about 3 years ago in 45-70. It isn't for sale or trade. So far it has been flawless.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:21 am

Medicine Hat wrote:I picked up a Marlin 1895 blued/wood stock, octagonal barrel about 3 years ago in 45-70. It isn't for sale or trade. So far it has been flawless.
Could be a Remlin or a real Marlin, the serial number will tell.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:39 am

I have owned two Marlin 1895's.

My first rifle, saved up for and bought when I was seventeen was an 1895G I believe... It had a straight grip and a hard butt-plate with no recoil pad. If memory serves, the barrel was 20" or so.

I learned a lot with that rifle, which prepared me for the big-bore magnums that I would be shooting later. It went on one deer hunt, but I didn't get a shot that year.

We spend much more time handling and admiring our firearms than we do actually shooting them, and the Marlin 1895 is very good for this. They are good-looking guns, well made, and nice to handle.

Eventually I married, and I ended up selling that first rifle during one of the financial ups and downs that I went through back then.

A few years ago ( just over thirty years later ) I looked at another 1895 in a gun shop and took it home with me.

Boy, was I glad!

Nice guns, I'd like to have one of each model variation.