Browning A-Bolt Needs TLC

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Browning A-Bolt Needs TLC

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Being a glutton for punishment just like baom I just acquired A-Bolt 25-06 Stainless Stalker with the Boss system that the owner was ready to make a fence post out of. He said that it was a very inconsistant shooter given to throwing a flyer just when he thought it was zeroed in. Now, I used to own the same rifle/caliber non Boss version that was a sweet shooter out to 400 yards which for some dumb reason I sold. So, I still have a good selection of ammo,dies, bullets in 25-06 which you all will agree is enough reason to buy a rifle :roll:
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Browning A-Bolt Needs TLC

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 pm

KAZ wrote:Being a glutton for punishment just like baom I just acquired A-Bolt 25-06 Stainless Stalker with the Boss system that the owner was ready to make a fence post out of. He said that it was a very inconsistant shooter given to throwing a flyer just when he thought it was zeroed in. Now, I used to own the same rifle/caliber non Boss version that was a sweet shooter out to 400 yards which for some dumb reason I sold. So, I still have a good selection of ammo,dies, bullets in 25-06 which you all will agree is enough reason to buy a rifle :roll:
Sounds like a valid reason to me and Bear agrees, got to do something with that ammo before it spoils.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 am

On GTOL, having one round in your desk drawer is good reason to buy a gun that matches it ......... :wink:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:28 pm

I've got some odd brass I picked up, 38 s&w, I know I need a new gun for that....

I think I gave away some 25 auto once instead of getting a gun for it... :oops:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 pm

I've found an assortment of unfired ammo at my range. .380, 9mm, 44 mag, .223, and a 7.62 X 39 on my last trip. So I should get guns for them? Shouldn't run me more than about 3 grand....... :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm

I knew that you would all understand 8) Now I need for my scope base mounting rail to arrive tomorrow along with a better spring for the trigger. The trigger is as terrible as I've seen for a long time and might be responsible for some of the problems with the rifle. Regards

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:06 am

A Browning stainless stalker in .300 Win mag was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

It would put three rounds out of a cold, clean barrel into 1/2", reliably and consistently. ( Federal 180 grn. premium loads )

I never made any bets, but I did amaze my friends and family with the thing. - It would do it, every time!

I had the rifle Magna-Ported and installed a Pachmyer decelerator recoil pad on it, which took the recoil level down to where it felt like a stout 30-06 load being fired. The accuracy was not affected, just the recoil.

One day I traded it off as part of the deal on an exotic shotgun. - The shotgun didn't work out for me, but that's gun swapping for you.

I'd like to have a stainless stalker in 25-06. - That sounds like a really great setup, as I already know how nice that stock and action is.

It seems like it would be hard to go wrong with a stainless stalker in 25-06 with a BOSS do-dad on it, which I understand to be basically a tuner.

In a worst case, maybe you'll have to have the crown touched up, or something like that.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

IT LIVES

Post by KAZ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:38 am

The person that wanted rid of it is an excellent shooter, but not a reloader so I thought that worst case I needed to find a load that it likes. This target was shot this week at 8:30AM and it was already HOT so as you can see the scope was only bore sighted. It for sure likes that Hornady Interlock over IMR 4350 8)