Marlin QC

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Marlin QC

Post by Yleefox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 pm

I was in a gun store a few days ago and looked at a brand new Marlin 1894C. What surprised me was the poor workmanship on this particular rifle. One screw head showed evidence of the screwdriver slipping out of the slot and marring the screw, plus it scratched the bluing adjacent to the screw. One other screw had a similar scratch in the finish next to the screw, but at least the screw wasn't damaged. The barrel appeared to be scratched in a serious of small marks that led me to believe they were from the barrel installation process. The last issue was a blemish in the checkering on the left side of the stock. I'm wondering if this kind of workmanship is a result of the folks in CT., not caring any longer or the folks in NC not up to snuff yet. I'm not sure where this rifle was made. I hope this is not something we are going to expect from Marlin in the future. Personally, I don't think this rifle should have ever made it out the door. Any opinions?

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:44 am

Every gun board I frequent has posts bemoaning the current state of QC at Marlin. Lotta folks not too happy with S&W or Sig at the moment either.

I think it's a sign of the times. Everybody is cutting everything to the bone in search of more profits.

Makes my collection of old shootin' arns look pretty darn good...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:04 am

DE, ur prob right about many of the manufacturers and the profit picture. It seems that many of them are moving out of the northern states and relocating elsewhere. Well, let's hope that QC begins improving.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 am

I had heard that quality was sketchy and I wanted a 1894 CSS 357Mag so I was aprensive about acquiring one as they were in short supply and had to be ordered sight unseen as my local dealer gave up on getting one for me. Mine is flawless in both form and function so they can build a good one if they try. I've also heard that they will respond to resolve problems, but who wants to deal with things that should never have been shipped. For many reasons if it is a lever action 22LR I recommend HENRY. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:28 am

KAZ, guess we both licked out on the 1894C's. Got mine a year or so ago from a local pawn shop. Happened to be in there looking for whatever is available as I do now and then, get some good things reasonable that way. Know the owner as he is a member of my gun club and asked him if he had a lever gun in .38/.557, he said wit a minute and brought it out from the back room. Damn thing looked great nad out the door for 300 bucks no less. Almost broke my arm reaching for my wallet.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am

I think this is what happened to the quality.
http://www.freedom-group.com/
Since they took control a few years ago, it's really gone down hill :cry:

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Kaz

I've heard the same thing about their response to issues, but like you said, who wants to be inconvienced by having to send their rifle back for stuff like scratches that should have been caught before the rifle left their factory. I like Marlin and I have a couple. One is a 39a built in 56 I believe and other than some wear it's a fine rifle. The other is a 1894 in 44 mag. It looked fine when I bought it but it was not even a bit smooth, action wise. It took a bit of polishing, filing, and reaming, but I finally got it slick as a baby's bottom. Now, I don't expect perfection from a moderately priced rifle and I'm not excessively picky either, but I do think Marlin needs to take a look at the QC. BTW, I want one of the SS 357 magnums.

Yleefox