.30-06 in Indoor ranges

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.30-06 in Indoor ranges

Post by jaeger45 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:36 am

Hi, Bullseye-

I just learned that hi-powered rifles like the M1 Garand are now allowed inside indoor ranges AND using FMJ's.

I greet the news with mixed feelings. For one thing, I can now use my Garand as often as I want using milsurp Ball M2 and my .308 Ishapore without travelling 100 miles anymore.

On the other hand, I don't feel so comfortable with the possibility of spent, deformed .30-06 bullets marked TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN cluttering inside . :( :( :( To be sure, proper safeguards would have been taken to prevent ricochets (knock on wood). Still, the thought of the mere possibility makes me shudder.

What do you think, Bullseye?
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: .30-06 in Indoor ranges

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 am

jaeger45 wrote:Hi, Bullseye-

I just learned that hi-powered rifles like the M1 Garand are now allowed inside indoor ranges AND using FMJ's.

Jaeger (hunter) my friend this is Len, have not been ion contact with you in some time. The 25 yard indoor range is capable of handling anything up to .50BMG and I have witnessed this personallyu and also watched the firing full autos's in .223 .4acp and 9mm. The other inddor range nearby also allows most any type of rifle cartridges they have two 50 yard ranges, one 100 yard abd one 200 yard these are all single position ranges firing down concrete pipes.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:51 pm

It all depends on the style of bullet containment system employed by the range. Many that allow highpower rifle are using a snail type system to eliminate ricochets and hazardous material contamination. To see how this works go to this link: http://www.snailtraps.com/index.htm There's a good animation that demonstrates how the high power bullet is decelerated. The bullet backstop has a very low angle which deflects the projectile almost straight into the trap where the bullet decelerates by spinning harmlessly. When the bullet loses all its velocity and energy, it drops down into a bucket that is emptied later by the range operator.

This is a very clean system since the bullets aren't drastically deformed during the deceleration process. Many newer ranges are using this style of trap. If your range has this type of system then your good to go.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Bullseye wrote:It all depends on the style of bullet containment system employed by the range. Many that allow highpower rifle are using a snail type system to eliminate ricochets and hazardous material contamination. To see how this works go to this link: http://www.snailtraps.com/index.htm There's a good animation that demonstrates how the high power bullet is decelerated. The bullet backstop has a very low angle which deflects the projectile almost straight into the trap where the bullet decelerates by spinning harmlessly. When the bullet loses all its velocity and energy, it drops down into a bucket that is emptied later by the range operator.

This is a very clean system since the bullets aren't drastically deformed during the deceleration process. Many newer ranges are using this style of trap. If your range has this type of system then your good to go.

R,
Bullseye
That is pretty much the type of trap that they use at the range that I belong to. The upper and lower plates are at a 15 degree angle and the lower one has a water wash to reduce contamination by splatter and the snail drum also has a water wash and the spent bullets fall out onts a shel below the snail drum and are washed down a plate to e removed. The range has a large unit as it covers one room with 10 regular shooting bays and another with 2 central regular bays with a wider handicap bay on each side and the use the same targer system as the Scittsdale Gun Club, you might check out their orientation video. http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com

Ripsaw
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Ripsaw » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:14 pm

I had a recipe for indoor .30-06 involving a .311 diameter round lead ball
loaded over several grains of Alliant Bullseye. I just spent about 15 minutes looking for it, But I'll be darned if I can find it. I've never tried it, but it was given to me by a fellow who did use it in his '03 Springfield. He shot in home-made range in one of his out buildings on the farm. Gotta shoot somewhere in the brutal upper midwest winters. This way he could fire up the woodstove and shoot in reasonable comfort.

Ripsaw

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 am

bearandoldman wrote:
jaeger45 wrote:Hi, Bullseye-

Jaeger (hunter) my friend this is Len, have not been ion contact with you in some time. The 25 yard indoor range is capable of handling anything up to .50BMG and I have witnessed this personallyu and also watched the firing full autos's in .223 .4acp and 9mm. The other inddor range nearby also allows most any type of rifle cartridges they have two 50 yard ranges, one 100 yard abd one 200 yard these are all single position ranges firing down concrete pipes.
Bullseye wrote:It all depends on the style of bullet containment system employed by the range. Many that allow highpower rifle are using a snail type system to eliminate ricochets and hazardous material contamination. To see how this works go to this link: http://www.snailtraps.com/index.htm There's a good animation that demonstrates how the high power bullet is decelerated. The bullet backstop has a very low angle which deflects the projectile almost straight into the trap where the bullet decelerates by spinning harmlessly. When the bullet loses all its velocity and energy, it drops down into a bucket that is emptied later by the range operator.

Hi, Len, ol' buddy-- How are you and Bear doing? I can see from your postings elsewhere that you're still frisky as ever.

Going back to where we left off over a year ago :lol: . that's what they are probably doing: the rangemaster showed me the steel cores of AP'S that they found.

Curiously, such a bullet backstop apparently was not adopted by a gunshop in San Leandro in Norcal- used to be the biggest in the Bay Area until its FFL was revoked. Years ago, they used to have a test room with a bullet backstop at the rear of the store where customers could test fire guns.

Until a store employee was killed when a bullet punched through the backstop just as he was walking outside the room right behind the backstop. Apparently, the backstop was being chipped away (naturally!) by the bullets through the years until it wore thin.

BTW, its FFL was revoked a couple of years ago: it was determined that it was the second largest source of firearms that ultimately found their way into the wrong hands. Firearms were sold to "straw purchasers", qualified purchasers who would then turn them over to non-qualified persons, gf's usually of felons and other restricted persons.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:21 am

Jaeger, the Bear and I are doing fine. Still playing with the 1911's and the 22/45's a lot. The rim fires are fun and you can shoot a lot more for the money and the amount of shooting is in line with the amount of the fun. Recently got into the Ruger 10/22's. Picked up a used Target gun this January by trading off the Walther G22, that was fun to shoot but your nose was above the ejection port and you sucked up all the fumes, bad taste. Then found that the T gun was fine off the bench but too heavy for this old man to hold steady off hand so bought a new carbine, then las week picked up another carbine used from the range owner. He cut me in on a really good deal he got on some guns he bought from an elderly woman, probably my age or younger. It is a 4 digit serial which makes it an early 1965 manufacture, they started in 1964 but built less thatn 50 according to serial number record on Rugers website. No warning roll mark or address on the barrel, real walnut stock and ,etal butt plate instead of plastic and not shot much either, for $60.00 buck is all.

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm

bearandoldman:

Hi there. First post here on a new forum for me, tho I've been around others for quite a while.
I'm moved to reply to your remarks about your 'new' 10-22. Your rifle sounds like a near twin to one I had for several years. Four digit serial, walnut stock, metal butt plate and all. Mine, however, had a big knot right in the place your cheek touches the stock, which began to 'cave in' gradually. It was a deep pit, when I dug out all the rotten wood. I filled it with Superglue (CA) and refinished the stock. A web two magazine pouch covered it up and I lived with it for a long time. It shot well enough, but I coveted an old model 72 Winchester that a friend had, and we traded. He's an inveterate seller and swapper, and soon passed 'my' Ruger on to someone else. I know it is in good hands now, like yours is. The originals are way superior to newer ones I've seen at big box stores.
I like Rugers. Have had a .44 carbine and own a FINE old tang safety 77 in 7x57mm. Also a bunch of Ruger SA's and a couple of Mark I target pistols which I think are the best value in a target handgun anywhere.
With respect...
slabsides.