Sniper rifle?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Sniper rifle?

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:06 pm

GUN CONTROL PROTECTS CRIMINALS FROM WORK RELATED INJURIES.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Of all the scoped stuff I've shot or seen shot I've never seen it and I've been shooting for 30+ years. If you've got it in on your shoulder I think it's physiologically impossible unless it breaks other bones first. Looked like he had it on his upper arm

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 am

I've seen a few people who've gotten too close to the scope get popped by the recoil, in fact I had just commented on one such instance in another post with the .300 Win Mag. Not much damage other than a cut or two, to break an eye socket the shooter must have been right on top of the scope's lens.

R,
Bullseye

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:08 am

I think he had the butt on his bicep muscle and the recoil just bent his arm back.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 am

Wow!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I think he had the butt on his bicep muscle and the recoil just bent his arm back.
I think you nailed it. It does appear he has it positioned on his arm and not shoulder.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Ouch, that had to smart a bit. Once saw a buddy get scoped by a 45-70, wasn't holding it tight enough.

Curmudgeon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Curmudgeon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm

blue68f100 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I think he had the butt on his bicep muscle and the recoil just bent his arm back.
I think you nailed it. It does appear he has it positioned on his arm and not shoulder.
As my neighbor would say, 'I think that learned him good'.

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:26 am

I'm guessing first time shooting? I only know of one time where that happened "Legitimately". A former boss of mine was getting ready for black powder season with a breechloader. Slug, couple of pellets, "Hey Glenn could you come here for a minute?", return, couple of pellets, primer, KABOOM!!!! Got him in the eyebrow. Cracked the bone, blacked his face, really screwed him up.

He then hung out and test fired the gun. Nothing like a double load of powder to wake you up in the morning!
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:46 am

That is some serious recoil. I got scope bite once with a funny story attached. I was shooting at a local hillside in New Mexico where we all shot. I had two things that I wanted to accomplish, and I was pleased to see that I had the place to myself. First, I had a new scope on my SAKO 25-06 hunting rifle that I wanted to zero, and I had an Ingram Mac 10 submachine gun that I wanted to test some surplus ammo in to see if it would function before buying more of the ammo. I was pleased that the SAKO was going to be easy to zero until the third shot when the rings that I hadn't tightened down enough let go and it did the half moon thing over my eye. It didn't hurt, but bleed more than I realized as I tightened up the rings and finished my zero. Then I started firing on full auto a 32 round mag in the M10 just as two strange guys in a pick up drove up. I was about to say hello, and tell them that I was finished when they did a rapid boot leggier reverse and spun out of there. I didn't think anymore about it until I got home and walked into my house and my wife, freaked out about all the blood and forced me to look in a mirror :o
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 am

I too have been bitten by the scope. I was deer hunting in Georgia and was watching a buck as it moved rapidly through the Blackjack Oaks to my left. I had to lean over in order to make the shot because of a tree branch that was in the way. It was an awkward position and without my realizing it, placed my eye too close to the scope. When that 30-06 recoiled, it cut me near the eyebrow and on the nose.

I knew I was cut but I didn't realize how much it was bleeding at first, until I noticed all the blood that had dripped onto my brand new pair of boots.

Y

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Had to share that one on facebook. This big steroidhead can't hold down a little hunting rifle!!

montveil

Post by montveil » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am

I find that when one is shooting off a vehicle hood it is very easy to NOT adequately get your shoulder behind the weapon. This allows the rifle to
be held lightly and not pressed into the shoulder which allows the firearm to be held with the arms rather than the shoulder and body.
The arms cannot adequately absorb the recoil and the body will not be in firm
contact to allow the body to recoil WITH the rifle.
Also leaning into the rifle usually places the face closer to the scope.
And how do I know this??
My experience was very minor but taught me to figure what went wrong.
montveil in the NC mountains