Anyone know M1 Carbines?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Anyone know M1 Carbines?

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 pm

I need some help on this one, I posted on another forum but hopefully the experts here will continue to save the day with a good signal-to-noise ratio.

So I picked up a nice-looking rack-grade M1 carbine from the CMP, it is a mix-master but I intended to shoot and enjoy it, not hang it on the wall as a museum piece.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
The nice folks at the CMP had used slings and new oilers, plus some old surplus mags, all in all I walked out of that store impressed and eager to get some shooting in. The sling cleaned up nicely with Obenauf's leather preservative, and I figured out how to thread it past the oiler with only minimal confusion.

It was this ammo, by the way: Image http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... rc=tpCtgAm

I cleaned it up and took it to the range with the Aguila ammo the CMP had ($0.40/round, the best deal I could find anywhere) and I had the occasional failure to extract ... not just a partial extraction, but a complete failure to cycle the operating slide. I figured that my problems were related to the gas piston that I hadn't had the courage to take off the first time, although I did make sure it was free to move and cleaned/blew out everything I could access. I did not notice the crack in the gas block the first time I was in there, and I don't think I could have missed this:
Image Image Image

So ... how screwed am I here? I found a LOT of carbon deposits in the part of the operating slide that surrounds the gas system, I've ran less than 300 rounds through in a couple range trips, and only the factory stuff from the CMP. I've cleaned it out with a .30 bore-snake in between trips, so I don't know when the crack appeared (and I'm kicking myself for it) but the non-cycling issues were getting worse the last trip, which prompted me to get in there and figure out what was causing it ... at least I have a "smoking gun" for the failures, the piston wasn't cycling smoothly because of the buildup, and the crack couldn't have been helping for alignment.
I'd hate to replace the whole barrel, both because of expense and because I'm getting reliable hits at 100 yards with this one (I'm honestly not much of a rifleman so far, so hits on a 12" target at 100 yards is pretty good for me).
For now, I have the piston and piston nut soaking to get the carbon crud off, and I cleaned up everything as well as I could.

I can't see a fix for this beyond precision welding (expensive) or a new barrel/gas-block assembly (expensive and not desired) ... can anyone suggest another fix to get this carbine up and running?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 am

That looks like you need a new barrel/gas block assy. Fulton Armory has them (new Winchester barrels) for $24.95 http://www.fulton-armory.com/MCarbParts.htm

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am

Bullseye, how difficult to put on a new barrel?
That barrel+gas-block is affordable, so long as I don't need $200 of tools to get it on and properly aligned.

I'm off early today, I'll try to get an opinion from the CMP store after work.
Maybe they can make everything better, or at least tell me what caused the failure.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm

bigfatdave wrote:I'm off early today, I'll try to get an opinion from the CMP store after work.
Maybe they can make everything better, or at least tell me what caused the failure.
The CMP made everything better!

I told them the tale I told here, they took a look at the gas system, and they gave me the option of a trip to GA for repair ... or a swap for something from the same rack.
Once again, armed with a CMP-borrowed bore gauge and knowledge gleaned from forums, CMP staff and patrons, I ventured into the (much reduced) inventory of rack-grade M1 Carbines, and selected one with smooth action, a round bolt (upgrade from previous), a bayonet lug (on principle!), an OK bore (one of the best on the rack, not quite as tight as previous) and resigned myself to the beat-up but serviceable wood.
When I took it to the counter, Bob (Can't remember his last name, if he reads this, THANKS BOB!) asked me if I wanted the wood from the "new one" or from the "old one" and I of course asked if I could swap to the old one. He swapped the stocks for me while I re-did the NICS check, and got me out the door with minimal delay.
CMP rifles do not come with an express warranty, and in fact the paperwork tells you "may not be safe to fire" at least once with a number of non-liability phrases thrown in for good measure. They did me a huge favor and I am aware of it ... and in return I would like to tell everyone here that the CMP will take care of you if you have any desire to own old US military rifles or new rimfire/air target guns.

So, a HUGE thumbs-up for the CMP staff at the CMP north store, which I am incredibly lucky to live near.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 am

I have always been pleased with the folks who work at the CMP. They are some really great people who genuinely want to help. Every now and then someone walks in with a "chip" on their shoulder and has a problem, but that type of thing usually is caused by the attitude of the person looking for a favor and not the person behind the counter.

You are right, they did you a huge favor! Good on them! And great for you!

R,
Bullseye