Does someone like old military bullet rifles?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jayman

Post by jayman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:26 pm

blue68f100 wrote:...
I will have to pull it out to see what markings are on it. All of this talk has tweaked my currosity.
Would you tell us what´s up with it?
Or how about a picture?

Now I´m curios too. :wink:

The K98 is here still in masses around and the accuracy is not good, so it is not interesting for collectors or shootists.

But this one is a big story of its own.
It´s a pitty sometimes, that things can´t talk.
What do you think, this rifle could tell you a lot.

Anyway it´s a souvenir from your father, isn´t it?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:20 pm

I dug it out of my safe and looking at it reminded that I need to go through all of the guns I got from my dad. He is not up on cleaning his guns. When I go down for the summer he lets me know if something is not working right. Like last summer his Rem 1100 was not feeding well. Some shot had gotten into the bolt spring area, so I did a good detail clean and lube.

If my memory is any good this is suppose to me a 8mm if I recall. I do not have any of the ammo here, still at my dads. It use a clip that holds 5 rounds that slides in to the lock and you push the bullets down into the magazine. I do not recall as to where exactly in Germany it came from. All he said was he picked it up in the field. The SN: 8551 which is on all of the main parts.

There are several German Proof marking on this gun with different numbers under the stamps. The only pitting is where the front band was at that was on the end of the for stock that was removed to lighten. The necking area on the barrel.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jayman

Post by jayman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 am

It is an K98.
The caliber is 8x57IS.

The stock is original but shortened in the front.

The condition seems to be pretty good, isn´t it?

If you give me the numbers I can tell you where it´s made and probably where it was in action / in which army unit it served.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes the gun is in good shape, the thing is very heavy though. And with a steel butt cap your feel it all.

Are you referring to inspector stamps under the eagle?

The inspector marks I can read are WaA77, W?A823 not quite sure if the lettering is correct. I had to use a magnafying glass to get the one I got.

I'm going to email my dad and see if he remembers any detail about the gun. 2-3 yrs ago there was a reunion with his squad and he was 1 of 6 that was still alive. I think he was in the 41 airborn. The only thing he talks about was how the planes were shot up and the repairs he was doing to keep them flying.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jayman

Post by jayman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 pm

blue68f100 wrote:...
The inspector marks I can read are WaA77, W?A823 not quite sure if the lettering is correct. I had to use a magnafying glass to get the one I got.
Okidow blue,
I take your numbers and look what I can find out.

"I´ll be back."

-----------------

And here is the bridge right over the ocean.
I´m asking some German ordinance fanatics.

I´ll translate their answers.
http://forum.waffen-online.de/index.php ... 395086&hl=

jayman

Post by jayman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am

Hi blue,
here we go again.

The German experts say, that the numbers you have listed are certification stamps.

There must be yet another number on the top of the chamber:
for example Erma (Code S/27 or 27)
or Steyr (Code 660 or bnz)
and two firms more.

For WaA77 four production firms are possible
Take a look please.

The military unit is sorrily unknown.

The 42 is the year of production, 1942.

For quite more (english) information, take a look in here:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdispla ... user-Forum

There are really many fans of the K98 in the US, unbelievibale.

Greets,
J.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I see "bnz" stamped on the top of the receiver just above the "42".

R,
Bullseye

jayman

Post by jayman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 am

"bnz. 728 6043l 117836 42 Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr"

All rigtt, it´s a Steyr from Austria.

They still built really acceptable weapons 8)

Look at the LP 10 or the Steyr AUG.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

I was cleaning this gun and discovered I do not know how to open the door to the magazine on this mouser. I see there is a button by the trigger guard but it does not open it up. Does any one have any tips on how to open this door. :?
David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 pm

It's a little tricky but here's how to do it. Flip the rifle over so the mag floor plate is up. Use a non-marring punch and depress the spring loaded plunger and hold it downward. Then use another non-marring punch and push the front of the floor plate toward the trigger guard. it should move about 1/8' to 1/4". Release the pressure on the plunger and the whole floor plate assembly, spring and all, should pop out.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Thank's Bullseye. I know it had to be something similar but could not get it to move. I will give it a try.

I found a light dusting of rust in the barrel and a lot of copper fowling. When I put it up knowing I would be back, I swabbed the barrel with BreakFree CLP. I need to pick up a jag and brush for 8mm. I'm going to remove the stock to make sure there is no rust in areas I can not seen. I'm thinking about using paste wax on those area you don't see, instead of oil or grease. I use paste wax in my dad's wood shop, and works good. It also makes the wood slide on the tables real easy.
David

Custom Built 1911

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 pm

I was able to get it apart. Apparently when my dad put some finish on the stock it got it to this cover plate and took some work to get it loose. All's good now, Cleaned up and back in the safe.

Thanks
David

Custom Built 1911