What kind of Service rifle do you shoot?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 pm

I get American Rifleman and there is an article comparing and contrasting these two cartridges in the Reloading Bench section of the September 2007 issue of the magazine.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Jingoist, if you look closely at your S&W barrel it will most likely read 5.56. Albeit I don't have a S&W one of my buddies does and that's what is printed on his barrel.

My 5.56 is an Armalite, some special edition they put out a couple of years ago. My other AR is chambered in 6.8spc, t'was a home build with several different names attached and it's waiting for hunting season to begin.

Bullseye, ever think about starting a picture thread? As korny as it sounds I always appreciate looking at someone else's gun, might be the wish factor.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't have any problems with someone starting a picture thread. Sometimes it's a good ice breaker for our new members. If you want one throw up a new topic and let-er-rip.

R,
Bullseye

lobster

Post by lobster » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:52 pm

I shoot an LWRC --SRT, gas piston system in 5.56. I also shoot a (SA) M1A-308. I wanted a real battle rifle so I bit the bullet and got the M1A, no regrets on either choice.

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:34 am

J Miller wrote:What kind of service rifle do I shoot?

Well, I shoot two Enfields; one a NO4 MK1 .303, and the other an Ishapore 2A NO1 MK3 in 7.62 NATO. :roll:

Never did like the Mattel toy 16. I've only shot one, and a couple AR15s, and that spring in the butt stock drove me nuts. :?

I love the M1 Garands, and the M1As, but I couldn't and cant afford to get one. :cry:

Oh, and my fondest wish is to someday find an unaltered Springfield O3-A3 that I can afford. That is my fantacy as far as mil-surps go.

Joe
Above was posted last year, on 8/07/06, and I'm bringing up this issue regarding the use of the current 7.62 NATO cartridge in Ishapores. Because I've got an "Ishy".

Strictly speaking, the Ishapore is a .308 caliber rifle of World War II vintage manufactured in Ishapore, India and used against the Japanese Imperial Forces in the l940's. Coincidentally or otherwise, the .308 cartridge used for the Ishapore is very similar apparently in all respect with the newer 7.62 NATO. It seems that the physical specs, the ballistics and the chamber pressures generated by both cartridges are the same so much so that the 7.62 NATO is generally accepted as safe for the Ishapore.

On the other hand, the commercial .308 Winchester which is physically similar to the GI 3.08 or 7.62 NATO has been declared as unsafe and a no-no for the WW2 Ishapore, on the ground that the p.s.i. generated by the commercial round is much higher than what the metallurgy of the older Ishapore can tolerate. In fact, in a couple of articles I'd read on the subject, it was explicitly mentioned that there is the possibility of a receiver blow-up due to metal fatigue if the commercial .308 Winchester is used in an Ishapore .308. There is no such caveat in using .308 or 7.62 NATO in Ishapores.

I'll be very interested to hear Bullseye's opinion about this.
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate