TAZ is a fun shooter

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

TAZ is a fun shooter

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Should have started this thread here in the first place but forgot that TAZ is a center-fire. Well, it was above freezing barely and a little sun and not much wind and I have lived in Michigan all my life so this should not be too bads, quit shooting when my nose was running on the walnut. Used 10 S&B rounds to sight in and had problems with the reticle not adjusting properly, it sticks especially in cold weather and does not want to move left properly, but if you tap briskly on the elevation turret it will finally move. Thought it may be close so fired one round of 145 WC/3.5 Grdot and it hit the outer ring at 2:00, held on center and moved the reticle right and up to the hole, it will move this way easily, the next 9 rounds you can see were greeeear. Fired 10 rounds of my 158 LSWC/3.8Grdot and it was OK but nothing to write home about. Fired 10 more rounds of S&B 158Sp grouped well but slightly low, No adjustments made since aligning for the 148WC ammo. Will have to try the 158 LSWC with 3.5 and 4.0 of Grdot. Would shoot the WC's but not sure if they will feed and chamber, although the chambered fine if just tossed singly into the ejection port.
Image ImageImage
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice shooting Rudolph! It really likes that green dot load, and you have your reloads shooting to the same point as those S&B factory which it also likes. It doesn't get much better than that 8) Imagine what you can do in a warm spell. Thes rifles shoot so recoil free that is easy to think they are rimfire, until they clobber a piece of steel. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 pm

KAZ wrote:Nice shooting Rudolph! It really likes that green dot load, and you have your reloads shooting to the same point as those S&B factory which it also likes. It doesn't get much better than that 8) Imagine what you can do in a warm spell. Thes rifles shoot so recoil free that is easy to think they are rimfire, until they clobber a piece of steel. Regards
The 158 grain reloads with 3.8 of green dot were all righ but not as conxixtent as the 148/3.5 loads, will have to try 3.5 and 4.0 with the swc158 bullets.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:45 am

After looking at the targets from the other day gain and plotting some different velocities on a ballistics program I have, I have come to some conclusions. At a given velocity a round hits zero on elevation, therefore a faster round will shoot higher and a slower will shoot lower. My 148 WC's were pretty much at the proper elevation, so the factory loads and the 158SWC's were slower. I am going to load some 158SWC's with 4.0 of Green Dot to try in the future, the factory stuff in my estimation shot very well. Factory ammo is supposed to be just under 1000fps, so my 148's must be a little faster, may have to borrow a chronograph from a friend, or just keep playing until I get them grouping well.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 am

If and when I get my cast load to do anywhere close to the performance of your S&B group I will have it made. I have 40 reloads to try this week, perhaps tomorrow or wednesday of the 12.5 gr 2400 under the 158 gr.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:24 am

That S&B factory load kind of surprised me too, had some bad .380ACP loads where a couple stuck i the barrel and the rep said he would replace the 4 boxes I had. told him I did not shoot the .380 much and he asked what else I shot, told him.38 Special and he sent e 4 boxes. My 148WC's with 3.5 of Green Dot shot well also, wonder if I can get them to feed and chamber.
had no problem with them chambering when I just flipped them in the ejection port, so they may work.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Well the temp is right at freezing with overcas skies and about 5 mph wind and I have some loads to thest. Yes it is cold, but tomorrow is going to be colder and there is a wither storm approaching this evening. I was born and raisesd in this state so I should be able to handle it, not being too bright at times does help though.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Well, you are a brave soul, I would be shaking so bad that I wouldn't be able to draw any conclusions from my target 8) That 5 mph wind will seem like galeforce, but it will be worth it to have the loads tested so you can use the colder days to be inside and load up for better temps. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:55 pm

KAZ wrote:Well, you are a brave soul, I would be shaking so bad that I wouldn't be able to draw any conclusions from my target 8) That 5 mph wind will seem like galeforce, but it will be worth it to have the loads tested so you can use the colder days to be inside and load up for better temps. Regards
Yes it was cold but then I have lived in this state for damn near 77 years now and when my nose runs and drips on the stock it is time to leave. Will post some targets later. The S&B still shoots good, the 158SWC/4.0 Grdot are not bad, the 148WC/3.5Grdot seem to be better, got to try that powder charge with the 158 SWC's, velocity should be about the same as only 10 grains difference, hope they shoot well also. Tried 4 round in the magazine and TAZ will feed and chamber the full wadcutters set to the last groove, only about an 1/8 of an inch sticking out of the case.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:02 pm

That really speaks well for the design because we couldn't complain if that full wadcutter wouldn't feed, but it's nice to know that at least yours will. I've only loaded rnfp so far. We started out at 32 degrees, and worked our way to 65/sunny, but my good wife had the audacity to spot a slow drip under our kitchen sink. Worse yet, she expected me to do something about it instead of going to the range :twisted: Two things I hate at the top of the list and dealing with plumbing issues in this old cabin may be both of them. Regards

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm

KAZ wrote:That really speaks well for the design because we couldn't complain if that full wadcutter wouldn't feed, but it's nice to know that at least yours will. I've only loaded rnfp so far. We started out at 32 degrees, and worked our way to 65/sunny, but my good wife had the audacity to spot a slow drip under our kitchen sink. Worse yet, she expected me to do something about it instead of going to the range :twisted: Two things I hate at the top of the list and dealing with plumbing issues in this old cabin may be both of them. Regards
I'm too damned old for that under the sink business, besides I get nauseous under there and my arms hurt too. I have to hire the young fellow next door for those thing, well worth 10 bucks to me.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Well it was a cold trip again today, it was 34F when we went to the range and that was the high for the day, very overcast but very light wind. TAZ seems to shoot most everything he gets fairly well. But he does shoot some stuff better than others Moses went o and had to get a little shooting in also. The target backer was not the best and the 148WC's just blew most of the target away. Got one more load to try, will not be satisfied until I do try the 3.5 Green Dot with the 158SWC, just 10 grains more bullet should make them about the same velocity.
Image Image Image
Last edited by bearandoldman on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm

I can see you shivering! When you focus you just drill out the center with whatever load 8) It's nice to get one that is flawless,feeds everything, and doesn't appear to be ammo sensitive. You have to ask why someone let that one slip away. Regards

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Looks like it likes any thing you want to feed it.

As for the cold. I live in Texas for a reason. This person does not like the cold (or heat) and that front your talking about is moving through here tonight. Low in the mid 20 high upper 30's for tomorrow.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:36 am

Double posted one pic on my previous post. Moses wnet to and here is what he did with his K4, 3 tude of Fed bulk at rapid fire.Image
32F and about an inch of wet snow and about 25 mph wind, that is why we hit the range yesterday. Yes KAZ it was just a bit uncomfortable yesterday, Going to load some of them 158 SWC's with 3.5 grain and see how they perform, So far everything ig ood but some are a little better.