Marlin 1894 357= Great Fun!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Well......It's a H&R Handi Rifle after all. I picked it up used at Cabela's today for $199 in new condition. Brought it home and put a red dot on it. After sighting it in at a mere 30' with some .38 spl hand loads, 125gr and Bullseye, I moved back to 40' for some off hand standing and was putting them into a 2" circle with ease. This target is over a tool box and pillow at 40' (max. range without clearing the shop out). I got a little sloppy on the last two groups. The rifle puts them where I point it. At least at this short range. The trigger is nice and crisp. No creep at all. It is a little heavier than I would like, but not bad. I don't have a gauge, so don't know what it is. It weighs 6 1/2# with the red dot. A little barrel heavy, it balances right at the back of the forearm. It's tight! in the hinge pin, but loosened up some as I worked it. I'll use it some before I shorten the barrel to 16"-17", just to be sure it is a keeper.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:51 pm

I've shortened the barrel to just over 16" and fired about 50 rounds inside my shop with the doors closed, no hearing protection, using loads similar to the one suggested above. 2.8 - 3.0 grs. of Trailboss and 125 gr FN cast bullets in .38 spl cases and I could do that all day and walk away without ringing ears. A real pleasure to shoot. And I bet the neighbors can't hear it either. Sure makes a butt ugly gun, though. See the .357 Stubbie thread and you'll know what I mean.

I wanted to hear the report from a magnum load so I fired one outside into a pile of ashes. There was a loud "BOOM".....ashes flew, and so did our cat. She was nearby, hiding under a trailer. Didn't think she would ever come home.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

I love it!!! Perfect with that red dot, quick & accurate 8)
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association