Tang Sight for Henry Big Boy

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Tang Sight for Henry Big Boy

Post by Downeaster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 pm

Been looking at sights for Big Hank. The original buckhorn and my tired ol' eyes ain't gonna get it done.

Want to go with a peep, but everything I've found requires gunsmithing to install, drilling and tapping holes. Don't want to go there.

Can't find a listing for a tang-mount that specifically addresses the Henry Big Boy. Does anyone know of another make/model that will cross?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Tang Sight for Henry Big Boy

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Downeaster wrote:Been looking at sights for Big Hank. The original buckhorn and my tired ol' eyes ain't gonna get it done.

Want to go with a peep, but everything I've found requires gunsmithing to install, drilling and tapping holes. Don't want to go there.

Can't find a listing for a tang-mount that specifically addresses the Henry Big Boy. Does anyone know of another make/model that will cross?
Wit a bullet that big, you should be able to sound shoot them varmints. We will remember you now have Henry the YIII, Henry the MAGnificent and now, Big Hank. :) :)
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Wit a bullet that big, you should be able to sound shoot them varmints. We will remember you now have Henry the YIII, Henry the MAGnificent and now, Big Hank. :) :)
"Sound shoot"?

Is that where ya touch 'er off and then cup yer hand behind one hear and wait to hear where the boolit goes "WHOP!" :D

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Downeaster wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Wit a bullet that big, you should be able to sound shoot them varmints. We will remember you now have Henry the YIII, Henry the MAGnificent and now, Big Hank. :) :)
"Sound shoot"?

Is that where ya touch 'er off and then cup yer hand behind one hear and wait to hear where the boolit goes "WHOP!" :D
You got the last part of that right, the first part is you hear the varmint and point the gun in that direction and pull the trigger and a couple of lever yanks and a couple of more rounds and then you listen. :lol: :lol:

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:13 pm

I emailed the folks at Henry asking about tang sights.

They send me a document listing all the various aftermarket items they recommend for use with the various Henry rifles, with sources and parts/model numbers. Very helpful.

The Marbles tang sight is a doozy, but it's a bit more spendy than I can afford after wiping out my stash and dipping into the kids inheritance to buy the rifle in the first place (Around $120) Plus it requires me to drill and tap a hole in the tang to mount it, and I can't quite bring myself to do that just yet.

Sooooooo, I order a Skinner brass peep that fits in the rear dovetail in place of the buckhorn. $45 including shipping and no hacking on a new gun.

I'll let you know how that works out.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:23 am

Downeaster wrote:
Sooooooo, I order a Skinner brass peep that fits in the rear dovetail in place of the buckhorn. $45 including shipping and no hacking on a new gun.

I'll let you know how that works out.
I Have a Williams WGRS54 peep sight on Henry with a Williams Firesight fiber optic on the front, but we do not get along that well..I have a Williams Firesight on the front of Remona also and one of my 10/22 carbines has a
HiViz front and rear and I shoot them better than the peep sight. So, I got a Williams rear blade that replace the peep sight assembly on the receiver sight and we tried it out yesterday and it works well.. For shooting at black targets the green fiber optic works the best, at least for me.
You did the right thing by buying Big Hank, to keep the economy rolling along. Be like me, I quit saving my money for my old age when I realized I had reached my old age and should really start using it before it spoils. :P :P

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:48 pm

bearandoldman wrote:You did the right thing by buying Big Hank, to keep the economy rolling along. Be like me, I quit saving my money for my old age when I realized I had reached my old age and should really start using it before it spoils. :P :P
Some years back, shortly after I retired from the Navy, I had a near-death experience. The Doc's in the ER told my wife to start making the phone calls, I had 4-5 hours at most.

Through good medicine and cussed oneryness, I got through that. When I got healed up enough to get around again, the wife and I talked things over and decided that once we got the bills paid off and had a little nest egg tucked away, we were going to do as we darn pleased with the rest and to heck with scrimping and saving just to croak and leave it all to the kids.

That time is now...

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Downeaster wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:You did the right thing by buying Big Hank, to keep the economy rolling along. Be like me, I quit saving my money for my old age when I realized I had reached my old age and should really start using it before it spoils. :P :P
Some years back, shortly after I retired from the Navy, I had a near-death experience. The Doc's in the ER told my wife to start making the phone calls, I had 4-5 hours at most.

Through good medicine and cussed oneryness, I got through that. When I got healed up enough to get around again, the wife and I talked things over and decided that once we got the bills paid off and had a little nest egg tucked away, we were going to do as we darn pleased with the rest and to heck with scrimping and saving just to croak and leave it all to the kids.

That time is now...
Now you are speaking a language I totally understand