Rutro....

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Rutro....

Post by Downeaster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm in Maine's biggest city, Portland on business.

Scarborough, which is part (more-or-less) of the Portland Metro area is also home to Maine's only Cabelas.

So, of course, we had to go there.

Then, of course, I had to go over and check out the firearms.

They had a Henry Big Boy in .45 Long Colt.

Operative word is "had".

It's now in the trunk of my car.

When I get home, I'm a dead man...
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Rutro....

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Yeah, but with a big grin on your face
Downeaster wrote:I'm in Maine's biggest city, Portland on business.

Scarborough, which is part (more-or-less) of the Portland Metro area is also home to Maine's only Cabelas.

So, of course, we had to go there.

Then, of course, I had to go over and check out the firearms.

They had a Henry Big Boy in .45 Long Colt.

Operative word is "had".

It's now in the trunk of my car.

When I get home, I'm a dead man...
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 pm

I don't envy you. The price for impulsiveness is wrath from SWMBO. One one hand you have a fine firearm. On the other hand is the knowledge that she will not let you forget it.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm sure you could find a volunteer to hide it for you if you asked around.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 am

RIP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 am

Sleeping with one eye open is no fun. Hopefully you survived your revelation on the new firearm to your bride. I got a feeling that you're not going to be permitted in town by yourself for a while.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:33 am

Bullseye wrote:Sleeping with one eye open is no fun. Hopefully you survived your revelation on the new firearm to your bride. I got a feeling that you're not going to be permitted in town by yourself for a while.

R,
Bullseye
Some people require adult supervision when going into TOY stores. Ma lets me out by myself and tells me If I think I really need something I should have it, guess that is why Nov 9th will be 52 years for us.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Being a coward, I waited until the next morning and snuck it into the gun cabinet before she got up. Now it's "just another gun"... :twisted:

Just got back from test-firing it and giving it a rough sighting in. First time I've ever fired a rifle over .30 caliber. Kinda interesting. Ya squeeze the trigger and ya hear:

BANG!...sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...WHOP!

Nice trigger on it and a butter-smooth action like you'd expect from a Henry, but, as I suspected, my eyes and those buckhorn sights don't mix well. Hoping that replacement peep will help.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Downeaster wrote:
BANG!...sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...WHOP!

Nice trigger on it and a butter-smooth action like you'd expect from a Henry, but, as I suspected, my eyes and those buckhorn sights don't mix well. Hoping that replacement peep will help.
Henry guns all seem to have a smooth action, the design of the center fire and rimfire actions mus be pretty much the same, and the trigger , at least on HenryI is really good. I have a peep on HenryI witha fiber optic front, it was OK but not the best. Put a rear leaf on the receiver sight to replace the peep aperture and it works just great. You may want to go to a fiber optic front before you spend a lot of money on a tang peep??
Was watching a black powder cartridge silhouette shoot at a nearby club one time and they shoot the rams a 500 meters. BANG, cloud of smoke, pause, see target fall over, pause hear bullet hit target, mid range trajector at that diastance for a .45-70 they said was around 18 feet, no wonder they have them tall tang sights.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm going to try the peep that fits in the original dovetail for starters. I might go to a hi-viz front if that doesn't pan out.

I like the idea of the longer sight radius of the tang sight, but can't get there right now. Maybe in the Spring...

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Downeaster wrote:Being a coward, I waited until the next morning and snuck it into the gun cabinet before she got up. Now it's "just another gun"
Weak!
bearandoldman wrote:Ma lets me out by myself and tells me If I think I really need something I should have it, guess that is why Nov 9th will be 52 years for us.
Congratulations!
That's really the only way to do it, lying to the spouse rarely ends well, particularly when it comes to money. Every budget needs blow money, but it needs to be designated and separate if you're not going to discuss larger purchases.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:37 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
Downeaster wrote:Being a coward, I waited until the next morning and snuck it into the gun cabinet before she got up. Now it's "just another gun"
Weak!
bearandoldman wrote:Ma lets me out by myself and tells me If I think I really need something I should have it, guess that is why Nov 9th will be 52 years for us.
Congratulations!
That's really the only way to do it, lying to the spouse rarely ends well, particularly when it comes to money. Every budget needs blow money, but it needs to be designated and separate if you're not going to discuss larger purchases.
Actually, I have been saving some money for my old age and due to the fact that I reached that age some time ago, I am using some of it.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 pm

bigfatdave wrote: Every budget needs blow money, but it needs to be designated and separate if you're not going to discuss larger purchases.
It was/will be paid for out of my "pin money" and did not come out of the household budget. She just doesn't see why anyone needs more than one gun ("You can only shoot one at a time") and finds it comforting to chide me about "wasting" my money.

Having heard that particular lecture a few times, I don't feel the need to sit through it nodding my head and saying "Yes, Dear" again.

It's worked for 35 years...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:06 pm

I used to get the same story about one gun but she resigned herself to the fact many years ago that I'm going to buy more guns. Now when I get another she just asks if its a good one. We both have lots of toys so it's really no big deal anymore.

R,
Bullseye

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Downeaster wrote:Being a coward, I waited until the next morning and snuck it into the gun cabinet before she got up. Now it's "just another gun"... :twisted:
Yep, done that one before. Once they are in the house, they all look the same. If one does look different and a question arises, "This one? Oh, I've had it for a while, surely you've seen it before." See, "had it for a while" can mean a few minutes or a year or two. :lol: