Best I could do at 100yds

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Best I could do at 100yds

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:25 pm

This is the best the Hakaman could do at 100 yards with my Savage Target Rifle .243 cal.
My "Gun Bench" where I clean, reload, and do my things!Image
My Savage .243

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Being first time out I would say not to bad for a new gun, but I would expect more out of a 243. Once you get your loads adjusted for your gun those groups should tighten up.

I do see the problem though.....

Your bench is way too clean :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:06 am

Yep, you know what they say about a clean bench""??!!
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:05 am

Yep, a clean work bench is a sign of a troubled mind. If you could see a picture of my work bench you would realize that I obviously have no mental issues at all.

Y

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 am

Tell me a little about this gun; what is the trigger weight, what barrel, is the action bedded, Barrel free-floated, etc . What were the environmental conditions that day? Was it windy? Did you have the rear of the stock on bags or just shouldering it?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:15 am

Tell me a little about this gun; what is the trigger weight, what barrel, is the action bedded, Barrel free-floated, etc . What were the environmental conditions that day? Was it windy? Did you have the rear of the stock on bags or just shouldering it?
In the 12 Series Varmint Series, the AccuTrigger is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs. Although, I haven't adjusted it yet, but it feels like it is in the max setting. When I take it apart to clean the first time, I'll check for sure. Right now, for safety sake, I think I'll leave in the max.
It's also got a 26" heavy fluted SS barrel 1 in 9.25” twist rate. I have read somewhere that for heavier bullets you would like a 1 in 9” barrel twist for accuracy, I suppose to get the heavier bullet spinning properly (your commentary on this would help). "Button-barrel" rifling is the method the twist was put into it, and the barrel is free floating from the stock.
At the range(200yd), which is set "down" into the landscape surrounded by huge berms, always seem to create gusty winds which make it difficult to shoot consistantly. That was the type of day I shot this target on, so a little reprieve for me. Actually, a couple guys present that day thought I did quite well under the conditions: Windy (causing the target stand to sway), store bought ammo(win superX 100gr pp), and my lack of shooting experience. I like the "Harris Bipod" I use, it does keep the gun well supported, although a good bench rest device would probably work better. I use some sand bags for stock support.
Oh yea, the sun was out, so I can use the excuse of "sun in my eyes"
Next time: 10rds stacked on top of each other.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:39 am

That is what I wanted to know. I was looking at the horizontal stringing on the target and thought I'd ask some pertinent questions. The wind conditions were the likely cause. There were very little details in the original post, and at 100 yards I expected to see a much tighter shot grouping. There are also shooter induced causes - Too heavy of a trigger weight can cause horizontal shot stringing, out to three o'clock, for a right-handed shooter.

A faster twist rate on the barrel is used to better stabilize a heavier weight bullet. But too fast of a twist rate and accuracy declines too. Some bullets will literally vaporize in mid air when they are spun too fast. The jackets tear and fracture from the extra stress in the barrel and then blow apart under the excessive spin rate as they travel down range. This is really something to see when it happens. Watching the bullet's vapor trail through a spotting scope, as the bullet travels down range, and then all of a sudden 'poof' a small cloud and no more vapor trail.

You'll have to experiment a little to see what bullet weight works best with that twist rate. What were the bullets you used?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:26 am

That is what I wanted to know. I was looking at the horizontal stringing on the target and thought I'd ask some pertinent questions. The wind conditions were the likely cause. There were very little details in the original post, and at 100 yards I expected to see a much tighter shot grouping. There are also shooter induced causes - Too heavy of a trigger weight can cause horizontal shot stringing, out to three o'clock, for a right-handed shooter.
A faster twist rate on the barrel is used to better stabilize a heavier weight bullet. But too fast of a twist rate and accuracy declines too. Some bullets will literally vaporize in mid air when they are spun too fast. The jackets tear and fracture from the extra stress in the barrel and then blow apart under the excessive spin rate as they travel down range. This is really something to see when it happens. Watching the bullet's vapor trail through a spotting scope, as the bullet travels down range, and then all of a sudden 'poof' a small cloud and no more vapor trail.
You'll have to experiment a little to see what bullet weight works best with that twist rate. What were the bullets you used?
Well, I haven't experienced the vaporizing bullet yet, but it would be cool to see. Hey, thanks for the helpful input about the target hits going out to 3:00 (horizontally). I think this week I'll attempt to take it apart and reduce the trigger pull. BE, do you have any good references to a website that would help me out on disassembling/reassembling?
Today a friend is coming over to help me reload some 243 ammo. I have some:
Sierra---GameKing----90gr--FMJ-BT------151716 (MIDWAY)
Sierra---MatchKing---70gr--FMJHP-BT---286852---- "

Look out target! Hakaman is coming to town.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Hak,

This article may help with your Accutrigger adjustment. http://www.sportwaysgunshed.co.nz/savag ... review.htm There is a lot written of how its made, near the end is the adjustment procedure. I don't have anything else on disassembling the rifle itself, maybe someone else on the forum does.

You wouldn't typically see a vaporizing bullet unless you're scoping and scoring a highpower rifle match. Here the scorer positions him/herself behind the shooter in such a way that you can easily observe the bullet's path to the target via the vapor trail. Even then, a bullet disintegration is a rare occurrence. It happens more frequently in service rifle competition with AR style rifles, as some people try to push the lighter bullets through barrels with too fast of a twist rate.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

This article may help with your Accutrigger adjustment. http://www.sportwaysgunshed.co.nz/savag ... review.htm There is a lot written of how its made, near the end is the adjustment procedure. I don't have anything else on disassembling the rifle itself, maybe someone else on the forum does.
I removed the stock from the tigger/bolt/barrel assembly. It was still very clean, and the accu-trigger was simple to adjust. I set it to the lowest position, which should be about 1 1/2 lbs. I also reloaded some 70 & 90 gr bullets, each with 2 different powder loads. It should help me see which load is most accurate. Hopefully, better pattern then I posted to start this topic.
thanks, Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:42 am

Looks like you've done your best to improve accuracy, now the weather has to cooperate too.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm

Here's an informative site that shows you how various "actions" work in rifles. It helped see how my Savage bolt action works. It is interactive, so click on the bolt handle to get it started.
thanks, haka
http://www.hunter-ed.com/wa/course/2-6_actions_bolt.htm
ps.......on the following pages, it even shows "lever action" rifles like many here own.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm

That was a nice link, thanks for posting it.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Bullseye wrote:That was a nice link, thanks for posting it.

R,
Bullseye
Yes, Hakaman, very interesting. Someone put a lot ot time and efforet into that one.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, I went back to the range today determined to "tighten" the group. The conditions were ideal: 75deg, sunny, light variable winds. In other words, "no excuses" (No real ones anyway). With a little sighting in going on in bottom mid/right area, I proceeded with my "handloads" (first time hand loading rifle :alex: ) All the powder loads were mid-range loads, with the bottom left and center targets being 70gr "Match HPBT" bullets, and the top right being 90gr "Game FMJBT bullets. I enjoyed the 70gr better then the 90gr because of a little less kick. I am trying to get the breathing down just right, and the trigger flinching to be a none issue.
thanks, "dead-eye" Haka