Best I could do at 100yds

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 pm

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

I bought a custom Savage in .243 last year, and there was a recommendation for 70 grn bullets for optimum accuracy on one of the pieces of paper in the box.

I believe we have the same twist rate, but my barrel is a 24" sporter weight barrel.

I would like to report on how well the 70 grn Nosler solid base bullets I loaded up perform, but I've been having trouble getting away to visit the range.

It's really windy here, too. - I have to get to the range pretty early in the morning, in order to get a little still air.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm

I bought a custom Savage in .243 last year, and there was a recommendation for 70 grn bullets for optimum accuracy on one of the pieces of paper in the box.
I don't know what the twist rate is on your Savage, but mine is 1:9.25".
I have reloaded Hornady 58g V-MAX (22411), Sierra MK HPBT 70g (1505) & 95g (1537) bullets,
and found the best accuracy with the 70g bullets. I have been getting just under .5MOA with them.
Strangely enough, my AR-15 gets it's best results with a 69g bullet.
When you get your results, I would be very interested in them.
Best of luck to you,
Haka

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Mine has the same twist rate. I think all of the Savages in 6mm are like that.

I finally made it to the range, with two loadings: Federal blue box 100grn soft points, and some handloaded Nosler 95 grn ballistic tips ahead of 37 grn of H380 for @2850fps out of my 24" barrel..

In-between Hodgdons' starter and maximum loads of 36 and 38 grn.

I had the range to myself, and the wind was 10mph from my back. - A rare condition as normally it quarters across the range at 15 mph.

This range is perhaps 500 yards inland from the gulf of Mexico.

( Click images to see full-sized )

After getting the gun sighted in and firing a few groups at 50 yds, I set up targets at 100 yards. At the end of the day, I fired a six-shot group with both kinds of ammo.

Federal 100 grn SP:

Handload 95 grn BT:

Here's the rifle. Stainless action, 24" barrel, Thumbhole stock. I think the barrel may be the medium contour, but I am not certain. It measures .708" at the muzzle.

The scope I use now is a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with the BDC reticule, that you can see in the range photo above. - The scope in the picture below is a Leupold 3-9x50 that had to sit up too high to suit me.

The gun is a bit heavy and long for a sporter, a bit light for a varmint gun. - Like the .243, it will handle either job well enough. - I am looking forward to shooting groups with the 70 and maybe some 58 grn bullets to see how it likes them.

I had a lot of fun there today. While I was there I tried out a 1911 auto that I had been working on and it functioned well, though it shot about 4" low at 25 yds. At this shooting range, it is customary to carry heat with you while putting up targets, so I didn't burn up all of my .45 ammo.

They have target butts at 200 yards, but I was too lazy to walk that far, and didn't want to pick up a mesquite thorn with my Harley, or cut up the tires on shell casings.

You have to watch out for the deer and turkey there, which are quite tame and sometimes stand around in the road. I saw two deer about 150 yards behind my shooting position when I was arriving there.

Port Mansfield, Texas Gun Club. - 50 bux a year.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:25 pm

I finally made it to the range, with two loadings: Federal blue box 100grn soft points, and some handloaded Nosler 95 grn ballistic tips..
It's nice to see that you made it out to shoot your .243 . Your 95gr looks like it is starting to group decent.
I think you'll find that the 70gr groups the best. Both my 243 and 223 group best with 70gr, and 69gr bullets.
I like your style of rifle, Savage makes them look so classy. I am getting a little antsy waiting to shoot my rifles (Michigan weather).
If you shoot some 70 gr ammo, let me know how it turns out.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Hakaman wrote:
I finally made it to the range, with two loadings: Federal blue box 100grn soft points, and some handloaded Nosler 95 grn ballistic tips..
It's nice to see that you made it out to shoot your .243 . Your 95gr looks like it is starting to group decent.
I think you'll find that the 70gr groups the best. Both my 243 and 223 group best with 70gr, and 69gr bullets.
I like your style of rifle, Savage makes them look so classy. I am getting a little antsy waiting to shoot my rifles (Michigan weather).
If you shoot some 70 gr ammo, let me know how it turns out.
Haka
What you mean it was 75 calm and sunny up here all day, or was that a deam/
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 pm

What you mean it was 75 calm and sunny up here all day
Are you taking that medicine I'm taking?
H

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Hakaman wrote:
What you mean it was 75 calm and sunny up here all day
Are you taking that medicine I'm taking?
H
Could be does it have a black label with a guys name on it? good stuff eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:33 pm

I am a ham radio operator, and hams like to have a "go-kit" for emergencies.
Here's my "go-kit":

My "emergency go-kit" is the same, with the addition of a bottle of laxative pills.

Note the logo on the SS shot cup.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I am a ham radio operator, and hams like to have a "go-kit" for emergencies.
Note the logo on the SS shot cup.
Looks like it would come in handy oft times !