Mini 14 Brass Ejection

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Mini 14 Brass Ejection

Post by Downeaster » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Thought I posted this once, but can't find it. If this is a repeat, feel free to delete it.

Just got a Mini-14/Ranch Rifle. Like it fine for what it is, but MAN that sucker flings the brass! Durn near need a roadmap to find it.

A brass catcher is one solution, but I'm left handed and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be plumb in the way.

Found one reference to a modification to the gas port that slows the bolt down and drops the brass a little closer to home.

Anybody got any experience/input/links on that?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Just in case someone else runs into the same issue, I did find a solution here: http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/m ... sories.php. About 2/3 of the way down the page there are adjustable gas blocks which are (I feel) reasonable at around $100 or you can get a selection of bushings for around $13 each.

I ordered the adjustable block because it also fixes an issue with the front sling swivel, and I like the idea of tunability.

I'll let you know how it works out when it comes in.

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Might be a .223 thing, my AR tosses brass twenty feet or more if I'm standing, 15 easy when sitting. I'm going to get a brass catcher, fortunately I shoot right, I randomly toss lead when I shoot left!
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun May 31, 2009 4:23 pm

I got my adjustable gas block a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was my second one, as I ordered the first one not realizing that there were 3 different barrel sizes used on Mini-14's.

Got the right one and put it on a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to go play until today.

Works as advertised! Screwed it right down until the action wouldn't cycle, backed it out a little at a time until it cycled reliably, and it drops the brass about 5 feet away in a nice little pile.

I'm a happy dude, and would recommend the adjustable gas block to anyone with a Mini-14 that wants to reload.

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Fella's I made a light weight brass catcher to put beside the bench when firing the wife's mini-14. It is a major league brass thrower you betcha!
I also use it for stationary firing of our pistols and all brass is caught, at least 90% of it anyway. I purchased a used fishing net to go over the aluminum frame we made. :D

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:57 am

How about some pic's of this fancy home made brass catcher? I for one would love to see it.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Here is a brass catcher I made out of a 50cal ammo box. The legs are from some cheap tripods, the netting is mosquito netting. The ammo box was the most expensive $20, tripods $10/each, netting $4/linear yard need 2, 3 yds. for top. I used 2x4 in the base to hold the legs, and 1x3 at the top to hold the legs out. This catcher seams to catch 98% of what hits it. I have added a front net to keep the brass from launching when it hits the 1x3's around the top. I also have a top for it that I use with guns that throws brass up.

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I like that. It's looks portable and very well thought out.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks for the comments,

The only thing I would want different, would to find some good strong legs that would fit in the box. The good things about the ones I have is the are strong and are not going to be damaged and were cheap. This is the second one I have made, my neighbor has the other one. The first netting I tried launched the brass across the room like a tranboline. I do have 2 small weights at the bottom to keep the netting taught. When I'm at my dad's I use a shopmate to hold the catcher. This keeps the wind for blowing it over.

The first time I took it to the indoor range the range officer wondered what it was. Then he watched it worked and was very surprised, that it caught every round I fired. He commented that it works very well.

Now every time I take it with me to the indoor range, someone will always stop and watch it work. Then they ask questions after I finished my magazine. Most of the ones stopping are reloaders and are tired of picking up brass. Every gun I have throws the brass a little different. You just have to figure where to stand for the catcher to work. I have to use the top netting with a couple of guns. It prevents the brass from going over the top.

It was well worth the time and money I spent in making it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:27 pm

Nice job! I made one a few years ago out of small diameter PVC tubing. I glued some of the couplers to the tubing and left some free, so that I could partial disassemble it for transportation. I used a C-clamp to hold it to a piece of plywood so it would not easily blow over. For the netting, I used a laundry washing bag that I found in a department store. I cut the bag to fit my PVC frame and then hot melt glued it to the frame. It caught 99% of my .223 brass and 100% of my .45acp brass. The problem I had with it, was the mesh bag I used, would actually melt from the heat of the .223 brass. Not a lot, but enough to annoy me. I was going to try to find a different material for the netting, but never did and finally tossed it out with the trash one day. I wish I would have taken a photo or two of it, I would have posted it here in case someone might be able to get an idea or two from it.

Anyway, I thought the PVC worked nicely.

Y

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Hancock Fabrics carries the mesquito netting. It's pretty cheap ~$3/liner yard. I was looking for some minnow sane, mainly because it was made of heaver material. But the misquito netting has worked will. With the more vertical slope of the netting, the hot brass does not stay in contact long enough to burn the netting. It does have some coloration change but I think that may be powder residue. This one has over 10k 9mm brass through it.

The top of the netting has pockets that slip over the legs. The sides has snap loops that holds the nettings to the legs to prevent the wind from making it flap. There are 2 2x4s in the bottom of the ammo can that the legs set into.
David

Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 am

A couple of pieces of 2x4, held together with some "All thread" rod and wing nuts, could make some good wide legs on the side of the ammo can to prevent the wind from tipping it over. To break it down, just unscrew the wing nuts and slip the legs off the outside of the can.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I don't have any problem with wind at my indoor range, normally. The only time it's been a problem is when they have the ventalation fans on high, blowing down your neck, when it 25F deg out side. I had to qualify when it was like this, everyone was shivering. My catcher is slightly wedged between the divider and target feed motor, while setting on the bench top.

Then when I'm out side I need to elevate it, so the shopmate works perfect.

The 2x4 idea is one I had not though of. I was looking for a projector stand, but the good ones are 2-3 times more expensive than my catcher.
David

Custom Built 1911

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Brass Catcher

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice contraption there Blue.

Appears to be well thought out ;-)

When I cannot have brass laying around, I duct tape a canvas bag over the ejection port of the mini-14 or ar-15. Nowhere near as elegant as your solution, but then I am a lazy, ole grouch that does only enough to 'get by'.

I still remember my first home-made sound suppressor used for indoor shooting of .22s in Germany. A 10Kw generator muffler. Now THAT was a spit ball and bubble gum contraption.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]