Savage 10-FP Finally Range Ready!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

billt

Savage 10-FP Finally Range Ready!

Post by billt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:21 pm

The scope came in yesterday, and I got it mounted up last night. I really like this Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical. It's really bright and very clear. So much so I just got off the phone with Bruno's and ordered another one for my Savage 12-F/TR. The only problem I had was the 6-48 tapped holes were full of crud, and no way I could get the screws for the bases in. I took it to a local gunsmith and he told me he had a heck of a time cleaning them out. He had to charge me for the tap he used because it really dulled it beyond further use. I wish Savage would use plug screws on the models they coat with whatever it is they use. I had no such issues with the screws on the 12-F/TR. They went right in. The Burris Signature Zee Rings are a pleasure to work with. They really hold nice and tight without having to lap. Another thing I've found is once you get the reticle adjusted nice and straight, it will stay put without moving. Just tighten away and you're done. The bases are Burris Extreme Tactical Steel. I won't get a chance to get out to the range until next week, but that is fine because by then I'll have the 12-F/TR scoped and range ready as well. I've got a half dozen handloads prepared. I'm anxious to see how they both print. For anyone who is interested Bruno's has the best price on these Bushnell's. Bill T.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm

That's one sweet looking stick you have there! I can understand why you cannot wait to take that one out for a test spin on the range.

R,
Bullseye

billt

Post by billt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Here are some pictures of the Savage 12-F/TR scoped out and ready to go to the range, hopefully tomorrow. As you can see I went with the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X on it as well. I really liked the clarity, quality, and price. The Burris Extreme Steel Tactical Bases show up as a almost gun metal grey color for some reason, but they are very similar to the rings in color and finish to the naked eye.

Kind of a crappy through the lens shot of the reticle. It almost looks segmented because it isn't straight and vertical in the photo, causing the pixel blocking you see. Time for a better camera.

Really weird how the bases look so grey. For some reason the color saturation isn't as profound.

Overall I'm pleased how they both mounted up. Just enough clearance for the front lens covers. Hopefully, the next photos will be of some nice targets! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Bill T.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Nice! I see mil dots on the reticle with my computer. The colors look OK on my monitor too.

R,
Bullseye

billt

Post by billt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

(CLICK ON THUMBNAILS TO ENLARGE)

The range session for both guns went well. I got out early and had the range all to myself. Wind was dead calm. The large "Number 2" was the worst target shot all day. The rest are pretty acceptable. All were fired from a Bald Eagle front and rear rest. The left "Shoot-N-C" target was the 10-FP the right one was the 12-F/TR. Overall the 12-F/TR was a little more accurate, and I suspected it would be with the heavier contour 30" target barrel. Both guns show a preference for Nosler Ballistic Tips which kind of surprised me. I thought the Sierra Matchkings would do better. I don't "break in" barrels, both were shot as they came from the box. Overall it was a good first outing, and it looks like I'll be looking to Nosler, Varget, and Lapua as components of choice for both of these guns. I am going to try some Hornady A-Max bullets, as well as some Berger VLD's. But that's another session for yet another day. Bill T.

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 am

Bil-T......Yep, you gotta love those Savages and Bushnell elite 3200 mil-dot scopes with turrets. I picked up 4 scopes at Cabela's when they were on sale back a few months ago. Hell, I don't even have them mounted on the rifles yet but yours look great from what I can see.

Also picked up a couple of those Savage's in model 12 and can't wait to go to the shooting range with the wife. We will be ready for the groundhogs.
Not bad shooting either for an old Cuss!!!LOL

billt

Post by billt » Sun May 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Ball,

This is next on my "Gotta buy list":

http://www.savagearms.com/110fcp.htm

I'm already set up for handloading the .300 Win Mag. with my Remington 700. I want to set up this new Savage for a 1,000 yard gun. I really like the bull barrel and the Accustock. I think I'll get one this coming fall when they catch up with production. Prices on them should come down a bit by then. Bill T.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:01 am

Nice write up. Great photos too.

Y

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Sweeeeeeeeet looking rifle billt, you have her decked out purdy. Good luck at the range. Your range results look quite well, wish I could do that. Have fun and be safe.
Haka

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Bill T., Well, I opted for the 25/06 caliber as I have been shooting one for over a dozen years now in a light sporter model 70 Winchester. We went to the range today and shot the wife's Savage .204 with 3200 4 x 12 Bushnell, thin reticule. We shot 2 types of factory ammo through the rifle and contrary to my rifle, CZ-222 Rem. cal. hers does not care for Hornady ammo at all. It shot 1.6-MOA but liked the Federal ammo better, shooting .782-MOA.

I shot the rifle later after cleaning the barrel and I shot 1.2 - MOA with the Hornady ammo and a .655 with the Federal ammo and 39 grain bullets. I am positive I can cut that down to shoot well under .500-MOA. I been looking for new brass for the 25/06 and the .204. It was hot starting out today, then it clouded up very fast and we got rained on going home. Cheer's Bill and don't forget to say hello to the wife for us ok.