sights for old eyes

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

sights for old eyes

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am

Well the other day my Hi Viz sight set for one of my 10/22's came in, it's a front and a rear. The rear has a fiber optic around the "U" in the blade and the front has the interchangeable rods. It takes a few brisk hit with a small hammer and punch to Remove and replace the sights, us old service techs do know how to use a hammer and usually have good selection of sizes. Got them lined up pretty well and went to the range yesterday to try them out. Left the green bead in the front and found out it would be better to use an orange to contrast with the Green "U"". Just want this for 25 foot or so fun shooting, well it was only off about a 1/2 inch right and maybe 3/4 high, so it does not really need much adjusting, not bad for an old guy eh? This is the way for us older guys to go as the stock front sight was almost invisible when pointed at the target. Only fired 20 rounds, as it was just 20 degrees at the time, as it proved the point ands the range is close to home.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: sights for old eyes

Post by toyfj40 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm

bearandoldman wrote:it was just 20 degrees at the time
was it shooting 20-degrees High,Low,Right or Left... ?? :shock:

congrats... what was the specific PartNum on that one... ?
-- toy

bearandoldman

Re: sights for old eyes

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:12 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:it was just 20 degrees at the time
was it shooting 20-degrees High,Low,Right or Left... ?? :shock:

congrats... what was the specific PartNum on that one... ?

-- toy

Not off much but 20 derees is the mpratur,you Texans do not know what cold is.
Bought it from Rimfire sports for I believe $27.95 or was it $29.75, either way the damn thing works firn, Has a green dot on each side of the "U"{ and you just have to cemter the front dot ands shoot. Just need to move the rear sight about .025 left and the rear down about .035 and we should be dead on. Warmer temps wpi;d make the shootter work a lot better. 20 degrees plus the wind chill may have altered the wobble compensator in the shooters control system. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8)

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:50 am

When the temperature drops below 32 I tend to limit the number of rounds shot to one per degree. :D So you did about what I would have.

DWS

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 am

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:When the temperature drops below 32 I tend to limit the number of rounds shot to one per degree. :D So you did about what I would have.

DWS
Right now it is 12 degrees, so I would limit it to 12 shots.What do you do in real;ly cold weather like this morning in the UP of MI it was -22, how do you call back shots????

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:00 am

That is when us really hardy souls curl up in a recliner with a gun magazine. :D

DWS

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:24 am

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:That is when us really hardy souls curl up in a recliner with a gun magazine. :D

DWS
Sounds like a plan to me, coffee or a little Black Jack and water for medicinal purposes only to ease the pain. Lived in Michigan all my life and I guess I have learned to be able to take the weather or leave it too. Hope that storm out that way did not bother you too much, we had a nasty ice storm worse than that in the late 70's or very early 80's.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Weather hasn't bothered us here yet. We've been getting mostly rain with a little light snow that turned to slush.

DWS

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:37 pm

DancesWithSquirrels wrote:Weather hasn't bothered us here yet. We've been getting mostly rain with a little light snow that turned to slush.

DWS
See some of the states north and east of you got some bast ice storms. Mu oldest daughter and her family lived in Princeton for a few years but moved to Florida about 5 years ago.