Need advice about reloading.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 am

greener wrote:Bullseye seems to work well for any caliber I've loaded. The only real knock I've read about Bullseye is that because of the fast burn and high pressure spike it is a bit touchy if you overload. One forum seems to have a group that really doesn't like Bullseye because of the potential problems from overloading it to double charging the powder.I think that overcharging is a concern with any powder. It sort of pays to pay attention to what you are doing when you reload.

That is why I like Green Dot, found out a lot of things after I started using it for .45 and.38"s. It takes that pressure spike and turns it into a fairly steep Hill is all and as I understand it burns cleaner than Bullseye. Also hard to double charge a Case and get the bullet in. Just went down to the beach and a double load fills the case to the rim. Even with a lighter load than mine you would definitely have a problem seating the bullet and you sure could see the powder level is.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm

I just put a Dillon RL 550B on layaway and bought the .45acp die set. I was wondering what type of scale is best for measuring powder throws, a balance beam type or electronic?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Georgezilla wrote:I just put a Dillon RL 550B on layaway and bought the .45acp die set. I was wondering what type of scale is best for measuring powder throws, a balance beam type or electronic?
I have both but usually end up using the little Franklin Arsenal? from Midway USA;. It is easy to set the tare, put the case on and push the button, load the powder and set the filled case on and it just give you the powder charge weight.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:45 pm

I use both types of scales. However I generally keep the balance scale near the press to check drop weights randomly for uniformity. I typically use the digital scale for sorting bullets and cases by weight.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I see. I think I will start out with just the balance scale -- I'll get the other type once I recoup some funds :oops:

As far as the balance type, are there any brands or types that are clearly superior? Are there any brands or types that I should stay away from?

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Lots of good scales out there. I have had a couple RCBS 1010 scales with very good results. I have heard that the very cheap scale from Lee is to be avoided.
Charlie

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:39 pm

I use the low cost Franklin electronic balance. My Lee Pro 1000 loads volumetrically, so all I need is a check on the disk volume I'm using. I do that when I change powder lots and check a few rounds to see if it the disk is delivering close to the desired weight. It's been pretty reliable at giving me standard weight.

If I were interested in getting precise powder weights, or segregating by bullet weights, then I'd do for the higher end electronic balances or a good beam balance. Since I'm loading for handgun loads, I don't feel I need all that precision.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 am

I ended up purchasing the RCBS 502. It was on sale at Midway.

It has been a bigger investment to get into reloading than I thought it would be :P And when I start reloading rifle rounds I'm going to need another $200ish in gear, not including dies and the tool head.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 am

Georgezilla,
Your choice of the 502 is just fine. All you're going to do with it is confirm the settings on your powder measure. That is where you shouldn't compromise. One of the best I've had the chance to use is the Redding BR3 with both inserts. The smaller one is great for pistol charges and the large is the same with rife charges. It's consistent enough so that I just write down my measure setting for my loads. I will usually double check the load when I change lots of powder, but rarely have to adjust the setting. It seems favorite loads like a certain volume of powder rather than a certain weight.

I've tried both the Hornady and RCBS uniflow and found, through my experience, that they weren't as consistent. Good measures as far as they go, but just not as consistent.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:58 pm

The 550B comes with a powder measure. From what I understand the Dillon powder measure is pretty well respected amongst most of the competition shooting community. So I wasn't planning on replacing it.

I almost got the Redding scale. But I wasn't feeling the plastic base.

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm

I've been loading on a Dillon for 25+ years and as long as you stay with a "ball" powder it will be within one tenth of a grain all day long.
Charlie

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 pm

You are correct in that the Dillon will maintain consistent powder charges. I loaded on an RCBS 4x4 for about 20 years before finally buying a 550 a couple of years ago. both are really great machines and I highly recommend both, but the Dillon has by far a better primer delivery system. I set mine up for 45 and have never changed calibers.

However, they have got to have one of the crudest powder measure adjustment designs there is. Just try to change from 3.5 Bullseye for short line loads to 4.3 of WST long line loads in a hurry. It just won't happen. I still use my 4x4 for 13 other calibers I load for. Partially because I have all the shell plates for the others, but a big reason is to use the Redding measure.

That being said. I did run across a very useful device for the Dillon. It's a micrometer charge bar that is used instead of the factory. I just write down the micrometer settings for each load and it repeats very well. They're not cheap, but what is that's any good. I have no affiliation with the mfg, just a very satisfied customer. I ran across them while surfing on thehighroad.org

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

fwiw
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

laportechaarlie

Post by laportechaarlie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:24 pm

I've been thinking about getting a Uniquetek for my Dillon for some time. You have just talked me into doing it!
Charlie

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm

I am now the proud owner of a Dillon 550! Thank you all for helping me on my path to reloading. Now that I have a press I'm sure that I will have many more questions :oops:

I loaded 50 rounds last night. went pretty smooth. The only problem I had was loading the primers in backwards but I caught it before one got put in a case. I loaded 25 rounds of Bullseye's load and 25 of Storks load, both with an OLA of 1.245" and a .470" crimp. Thank you Bullseye and Stork for posting those -- both the books I have only have hardball loads. I plan on trying BOM's load when I want to make more noise 8)

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri May 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Georgezilla wrote:I am now the proud owner of a Dillon 550! Thank you all for helping me on my path to reloading. Now that I have a press I'm sure that I will have many more questions :oops:

I loaded 50 rounds last night. went pretty smooth. The only problem I had was loading the primers in backwards but I caught it before one got put in a case. I loaded 25 rounds of Bullseye's load and 25 of Storks load, both with an OLA of 1.245" and a .470" crimp. Thank you Bullseye and Stork for posting those -- both the books I have only have hardball loads. I plan on trying BOM's load when I want to make more noise 8)
Don't know if it makes more noise or not, but it works for me and that is the main thg.