Need advice about reloading.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

hardball loads

Post by stork » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am

Georgezilla,

Just use your long line load. I used to waste a lot of time trying to work up a practice load for EIC matches. The year before I legged out I decided to just stick with my proven long line loads. They were more accurate than any of my jacketed hardball loads and I didn't have to fuss with having another load to store. I only shot match hardball for a couple of sessions before the match to confirm my sight settings.

Here's some proven hardball loads courtesy of a post byNeil Kravitz of NSK Industries on the Bullseye List. He is a commercial reloader who freely shares his loading expertise.

"Dan
>
> Out of the powders listed, the only one I can't help you with is Green Dot.
>
> Your choice of bullets will affect the accuracy of your loads, so I
> will list the bullets first:
> Sierra 8815
> IMI 230 FMJ RN
> Remington 230 FMJ RN
> Zero #123 230 FMJ RN
> Magtech 230 FMJ RN
> Winchester 230 FMJ RN
>
> No other bullets worth mentioning.
>
> Now for loads, Long Line first: 820 FPS (Target Velocity)
> VVN310 4.2 grs
> Clays 4.2 grs
> W231 5.6 grs
> BE 4.7 grs
> VVN320 5.2 grs
> HTG 4.8 grs
> 700X 4.6-4.8
> Unique 6.2 grs
>
> Short Line loads:
> VVN310 3.8 grs
> Clays 3.8 grs
> W231 4.7 grs
> BE 3.9-4.0 grs
> VVN320 4.7 grs
> HTG 4.2 grs
> 700X 3.9 grs
> Unique 5.2 grs
>
> I hope this helps.
>
>
> Regards,
> Neil
> NSK Co
> 410-833-2100 | Fax: 410-833-2101
> mailto:[email protected]
> http://www.nsksales.com

Is there anyone else going to Camp Perry this year? Be nice to do a face to face.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 am

Stork on the chart I have of powder burn rates, Green Dot is the nex slower than 700X andd about 5 faster than Unique.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:10 am

bearandoldman,

No reason why it shouldn't work for 45 application. Most shotgun powders do great double duty for handgun applications. I've never tried it, but I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't perform.

This was the list that Neil shared with the Bullseye List of tested loads for match hardball.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:20 am

stork wrote:bearandoldman,

No reason why it shouldn't work for 45 application. Most shotgun powders do great double duty for handgun applications. I've never tried it, but I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't perform.

This was the list that Neil shared with the Bullseye List of tested loads for match hardball.

FWIW
That whaat I use for .38 Special and .45ACP, when I decided to reload centerfires, I just happened to have at least 4 pounds of Green Dot on hand. Tee stuff works great.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Stork, your advice is to just use the long load for the short line? Sorry a bit confused :P

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Georgezilla,
Rereading my post I was too vague. The long line load I use is my wad gun long line load of 4.3 gr WST and a 210gr SWC. It's been years since I chronographed it but if memory serves me correctly it's around 800 fps. I just use that load in my hardball gun for EIC practice. The recoil is less than full hardball, but gives me the ability to use the same load for practicing with 2 guns. For EIC matches I use match hardball. Either TZZ or WCC 230 match.

I use the same load for both 50 and 25 yard lines.

FWIW

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I usually shoot Bullseye 4.3 - 4.4 gr. across the course with the 200gr SWC. I also use 700X but I find it burns a lot dirtier than Bullseye or Green Dot.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Bullseye wrote:I usually shoot Bullseye 4.3 - 4.4 gr. across the course with the 200gr SWC. I also use 700X but I find it burns a lot dirtier than Bullseye or Green Dot.

R,
Bullseye
Never used 700X or Bullseye but I believe they are all ball powders just like Win 296. used 296 in .410 and it really is a dirty burning powder. Green Dot burns very clean, have loaded a lot of shotshell with different powders and the ball powders seem to burn dirty and the flake powders clean ot is this just my biased opinion?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:03 am

Bullseye wrote:I usually shoot Bullseye 4.3 - 4.4 gr. across the course with the 200gr SWC. I also use 700X but I find it burns a lot dirtier than Bullseye or Green Dot.

R,
Bullseye
I wanted Bullseye but they were out of it where I was shopping. Ended up picking up a 4lb of Green Dot. Whats the difference between Green Dot and Bullseye?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:48 am

Georgezilla wrote:

R,
Bullseye
I wanted Bullseye but they were out of it where I was shopping. Ended up picking up a 4lb of Green Dot. Whats the difference between Green Dot and Bullseye?
Bullseye is a ball powder and Green Dot is a flake powder, Bullseye has a much faster burn rte than Green Dot also as a result they do not use the same quantities. What bullet are you going to use. Actually if I had my choice and I did, I use Green Dot for my .45ACP and my .38Special loads.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Bullseye and 700X are both flake powders. Bullseye just burns at a faster rate than either 700X or Green Dot. It's pretty high up on the scale for fast burning powders. I've also used WST with good success for my reloads.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:54 pm

I see. BOM, all i have right now is 200 gr. SWC. I picked up a 1lb bottle of Bullseye at a gun show today :lol:

When it comes to .45 match ammo is there a benefit to using faster burning powders?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:34 am

Bullseye wrote:Bullseye and 700X are both flake powders. Bullseye just burns at a faster rate than either 700X or Green Dot. It's pretty high up on the scale for fast burning powders. I've also used WST with good success for my reloads.

R,
Bullseye
Thanks for straightening me out on Bullseye powder, for some reason I thought it was a ball powder. Actually being a fast burning powder it really makes sense that it is a flake powder with more combustible surface. I have heard guys talking that it takes up very little space in the case and just assumed it was a more compact ball powder.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 am

Georgezilla wrote:I see. BOM, all i have right now is 200 gr. SWC. I picked up a 1lb bottle of Bullseye at a gun show today :lol:

When it comes to .45 match ammo is there a benefit to using faster burning powders?
Have no idea George but can not see any advantage myself other than the fact that you have it already. I use Green Dot for 2 reasons, it work fine and I have a lot from shotshell reloading. I have also used Unique because it too works and bought 2 pounds at the club one day for a ridiculously low price that I could not turn down.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 am

Bullseye seems to work well for any caliber I've loaded. The only real knock I've read about Bullseye is that because of the fast burn and high pressure spike it is a bit touchy if you overload. One forum seems to have a group that really doesn't like Bullseye because of the potential problems from overloading it to double charging the powder.I think that overcharging is a concern with any powder. It sort of pays to pay attention to what you are doing when you reload.