Question about SW 6906

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Matt_S

Question about SW 6906

Post by Matt_S » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:31 am

I've got a police used Smith & Wesson 6906. I have been to the range twice with it and have had the same problem. It has a 12 round magazine, which I load with about 5-8 rounds. The first time I went out, I successfully went through 3 magazines without any problems. From then on, the first round would fire like it should, then the 2nd would jam trying to feed. I would drop the mag, clear the round, put the mag back in, slingshot the slide, fire the gun, then same thing. The 2nd round would jam as it fed. The shop swapped magazines with me to rule out the mag. The 2nd time I went out, it started acting up after the first round until I stripped it and wiped it off. It fired fine for one magazine, 5-8 rounds, then the same problem occured. I was using Remmington 115gr rounds. I'm wondering if I'm not keeping my wrist tight enough or maybe I bought a bad box of ammo. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

ekaphoto

Post by ekaphoto » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Cheapest option is try diffrent ammo. Also have someone that knows how to shoot shoot the pistol. That will eliminate those two problems. A friend of mine's department has a lot of smith autos and they have a lot of problems with them. If ammo or someone shooting it does not fix the problem, send it to S&W. My buddy had jamming problems, so he sent it to smith and they had to do major work on his, but it works well now. It is his duty weapon so it was a must. For a short time in the past S&W had some QA problems, but will stand behind their product.
John

Matt_S

Post by Matt_S » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:58 pm

The shop that I bought it from gave me a 60 day warranty. They said that if new ammo doesn't help, bring it in and they will test it out and send it in, if need be.

Tony S45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tony S45 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:41 am

Matt_S:

I'm a long time fan of the S&W 3rd Generation guns including the 6906. All of the guns that I've owned and/or shot have never had the failures that you are describing.

Since it's a used gun, the first thing that I would do after a thorough cleaning and lube would be to replace the recoil spring. You already have tried different mags so the next thing to do would be to inspect the extractor and ejector. See if the edges are straight or if either has been defaced in any way. Assuming a good extractor edge, shoot some compressed cleaning solution up under the extractor's arm to clear out any crud.

If it still doesn't work, turn it back in to the shop for them to send it to S&W. BTW, I shoot a lot of Rem 115gr MC ammo through my 3rd Gen S&Ws and have never had any problems with it.

Matt_S

Post by Matt_S » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 am

I went by the shop Saturday. They test fired it and experienced the problem for themselves. They swapped out the recoil spring and re-tested. I'm glad it malfunctioned on them and they now know what is/was wrong. I plan on going to the range tomorrow and testing out the fix. There is a noticable difference, so I feel pretty good about it.