BEAR LOAD FOR .357

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:48 pm

Allen, what department did you work with in KY? I'm here in the South, just off Interstate 75.
It was the Russell County Sheriff's Department, back late in 1979 to early in 1981.

I was just a young kid straight out of college and was hired initially just to transition the department from their wheelguns to semi-autos. However, the department got rocked by a major scandal because the Sheriff and almost half the deputies were caught by state and federal officers taking huge kickbacks, bribes, etc. from the "bootleggers." (It's a "dry" county.)

I found myself in a car doing patrol work and the like, which I never intended or wanted to do. Damn near got myself killed more than once in simple domestic disputes. I began wanting out. I'm not a very big guy (5'-10" and only about 160 lbs. at that time), and had to put up with a lot of crap in being referred to as "Barney Fife." Get my drift? Any drunk I encountered wanted to try me out. Thankfully, I was really good with a PR-24 (I carried the PR-24x).

After my oldest first-cousin was brutally murdered by her own husband, I quit in disgust. I had first-hand knowledge that the new high Sheriff personally removed and disposed of crucial evidence in the murder, I quit and left Russell County and have only been back just to visit relatives and friends.

I'd love to give you more despicable details of how corrupt that county became, but will only do so in a private e-mail and with your promise of confidentiality. BTW, A&E did a show about the assassination of a Sheriff candidate just outside Somerset in Pulaski County that happened just a few years after my experiences and came back to Indiana.

To quote Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that" unless it's in a private e-mail. You can find my address under my profile.
Bob, the sectional density of the 10mm's 200gr bullet is .179 (equal to 160gr .357"). It's known to be a great penetrator, even in hollowpoints. The XTP is usually seen to penetrate about 19" with expansion. Taking this into account, the 180gr .357" bullet has a .202 sectional density at similar velocities. I guarantee you it will out penetrate the 10mm load.
I'd still much rather go with a 10mm that a .357 just on that alone, given what I know about velocity levels that can be achieved.
Sectional density and velocity are always good indicators of penetration.
And don't forget factoring in the ballistic coefficient for trajectories and retained velocities downrange!!!

Them's my two cents' worth.

Allen

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:00 pm

allendavis wrote:It was the Russell County Sheriff's Department, back late in 1979 to early in 1981.

I was just a young kid straight out of college and was hired initially just to transition the department from their wheelguns to semi-autos. However, the department got rocked by a major scandal because the Sheriff and almost half the deputies were caught by state and federal officers taking huge kickbacks, bribes, etc. from the "bootleggers." (It's a "dry" county.)
Doesn't surprise me. I'm in Laurel Co, borders the east of Pulaski. City police here were even quite friendly with a local bootlegger until he was mysteriously killed...
I'd love to give you more despicable details of how corrupt that county became, but will only do so in a private e-mail and with your promise of confidentiality. BTW, A&E did a show about the assassination of a Sheriff candidate just outside Somerset in Pulaski County that happened just a few years after my experiences and came back to Indiana.
I won't ask you to delve any further. One of my uncles was a sheriff in McCreary county while that was going on. When he got elected, he practically fired the whole department due to the corrupt deputies. The guy that succeeded him is far from being upright. Politics have been and always will be a mess.
I'd still much rather go with a 10mm that a .357 just on that alone, given what I know about velocity levels that can be achieved.
Well, a 10mm handgun does have one advantage if you have a Witness or Glock: 15 shots, plus quick reloads vs. 7 shots.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:04 pm

Rook, always remember this from an oldman that learned to hunt in his youth with a single shot hammer gun. The first shot is the most imoportant the others are just putting the frosting on the cake. The cake is baked with the first shot ot there is no cake.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Handgunr

Post by Handgunr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:28 am

Geesh Al......sounds like one hell of a quagmire down there....

Things are far from perfect up here, but man, that's sounds deep.

Our ownly issues when I was with our Sheriff's office, was with the Undersheriff, who took over when the "old man" retired. He was an okay guy prior to the whole transition, but afterwards, forget it....totally changed....."the new broom sweeps clean" thing. He was an alcoholic, skirt chaser (yep, married w/children), and, although we all knew it, he kept it quiet while the other Sheriff was in office. As soon as he left, and the Undersheriff took over, all hell broke loose. He didn't care who knew it, and did his thing right out in public.....drinking (drunkeness) and all.

But if you saw him do something, employee or private citizen, you'd better keep your mouth shut or he'd used his position to nail you, or apply pressure. He wrapped his truck around a telephone pole drunker than hell, and he left the scene. He was smart enough to go to the closest bar and start drinking to cover himself, or so he thought. (It never works really.) The road guys knew it, but kept their mouths shut to keep their jobs.
Anyway, "what goes around, comes around", and he got messing with a local Justice's daughter in law....which came around and bit him in the a$$.
He harassed the hell out of me when I was going through my disability processes, which I had no control over by law. He threatened me more than once, and I layed him out over the phone. He wanted me to come to his office and meet him "face to face"......you know what that means. On his turf, he could say, or do anything he wanted and what would've been my recourse ?
I told him that if he ever gave me "just cause", they'd need a shovel to scoop him up.
I then called a NY State Police Investigator who was a friend of mine (yeah, unlike him, I had friends in other agencies) and filed a complaint. He asked me if I wanted him arrested as this was the second time he called me and I reported it to him. I said "no, but do you have something creative you can do to stick it in his a$$ ?".......he, said, "why, yes, yes I do".

The next thing I knew, the new Sheriff got invited to lunch by a NYS Police Capt. (which he thought "comically" was a big deal to be invited out to lunch by the higher ups of the NYSP) The Capt. chewed his a$$ out and sent him back to the office all pi$$ed off. My old Capt. (who's still a friend of mine) said that when he returned to the office, he stopped in his doorway and angrily asked, "you knew about this didn't you?"
Not being a liar, he said with a smirk, "yes". Man was he pi$$ed......I laughed like hell.

Well, he's gone now.......my little meeting with the counties Repulican Committee paid big dividends regarding his re-election. Based on his actions while in office, they apparently thought my recommendation was sound advice.

Regarding the 10mm in relation to the .357 Mag......gee, I did have the formula written somewhere regarding frontal diameter, weight and velocity to compute penetration in certain mediums.
Naturally, I remember that velocity has to be a "given percentage" higher to compensate for diameter increases of certain amount to get the same depth of penetration.
I checked through some of my old class lesson plans and the only thing I could find was the "1/4" of bone equals 2 1/2" of flesh" formula that we used to calculate penetration regarding bullets.

If I remember correctly, the initial 10mm loadings of 180grs. were producing energies of 640-700fpe. Damn close to the .41 Mag. With the difference in frontal diameter (.401 vs. .410), even though not a great difference, the 10mm should penetrate as well, or maybe slightly better.
It'd be interesting to find out.
I have a 4ft. bullet box I built that I shoot through using wet newsprint for penetration comparisons. It has a yardstick nailed to the top edge and gives a general idea of the penetration qualities of different rounds. It's good in comparing "apples to apples". I ought to dig it out and try several different rounds just to see. .357 compared to the .44 Mag (as that's all I've got right now).
Need to get somemore paper bundles though......

Sorry so long........

Take care,
Bob
Do illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup ?

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:01 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that bigger is better as well. I just said that the .357 can and will work if need be.
Mainly I do a lot of work with cast bullets. I haven't used a jacketed pistol bullet for hunting in the past 10 or 15 years. I swage my own jacketed bullets and still use some factory stuff, but for the most part, I cast them.
I don't have to cast too many bullets anymore since the local small-town gun shop has been supplying my needs with some really high-quality bullets.
The two schools of thought in ballisitics are the "light & fast", and "slow & heavy". Both have their "pro's & con's". Light & fast will naturally get you there faster, with flatter trajectory, and usually more explosive expansion. Within closer ranges, those type of loads can, and usually do produce energies that are "at, or above" the energies of the lower heavier loads. But, based on their lighter bullet weight to gain those speeds, their penetration qualities are quite poor as the bullets usually come apart long before they reach anything vital on tough targets.
Going with a heavier harder bullet, or one of a thicker jacket design, which, naturally by it's weight constraints, limit the velocity of the load to a lesser extent, will still create more momentum than the previous example.
No problem here so far, but bigger bullets don't always have "thicker, heavier" jackets as you imply.
The reason you gave for using the .45 on duty was one example of this, somewhat.
The standard .357, 158 gr. load at 1250fps generates approx. 550ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. The .45 ACP, 230 gr standard load, at 850-900fps, produces a little over 400fpe.
The .45ACP, even at it's lower velocity, has bullet weight, and bullet diameter on it's side, so it's energy is mainly distributed on impact, and visually, gives the appearance of being more powerful than the .357, even though as I indicated, it isn't.
Right here, let's put a peg down and come back to this point later, as my Dad would say.

You fall into the same trap that almost everyone else falls into when discussing these matters: you get wrapped up in kinetic energy. You know I'm "old school," so I don't give a lot of weight or credence to this type of energy measurement. I prefer to think about "momentum."
The 41 Magnum you mentioned, using either the 170, 210, or 220 gr bullets, at velocities from 1400 to 1200fps for those weights, will generate energies from 700fpe, to approx. 800.
Although the .357 has lesser energy than the .41 Mag, using the proper jacketed bullet, and with the smaller diameter it has, will penetrate far more than you think.
Again, you are giving all your credence to kinetic energy without even considering momentum. I have to disagree that the .357 Mag. will penetrate as well as a .41 or .44 Mag. That was one of the very reasons those big bores were invented for in the first place. It is the .357's lack of mass that limits its ability to penetrate, and in order to make up for that deficiency, you have to drive the .357 to nearly-insane velocities to get similar penetration. It is the mass of the heavier .41 and .44 bullets that allow them to penetrate better at "standard" magnum bullet speeds.
As soon as a bullet starts to expand, it transmits it's energy expotentially, and velocity drops accordingly.
This is a given. However, the larger bullet diameter will automatically have more energy to dump into the target, and its mass alone will dictate that it will lose its momentum much more slowly than the smaller bullet.
It's the old rule of thought that if you had the same energy at the end of your finger that you do with a closed fist, which would penetrate more if you struck someone with each, the wider flatter fist, or your finger?
I think you mean "school of thought" rather than "rule of thought," since a thought cannot qualify as a fact unless you are contemplating something supported by an irrefutable body of empirical evidence.

And there's way more here in your analogy than I care to address if I examined it from every angle. A finger would collapse, fracture and even become disjointed much more easily than a closed fist. The finger simply doesn't have the interlinking support the closed fist would have, but this is beside the point.

To go back to that "peg" we nailed down, let's get back to your complete faith in kinetic energy . . .

A smartly thrown softball at 21 feet will have identical kinetic energy than that of a factory 210-gr. JHP from a .41 Mag. Of course the .41 Mag. bullet will penetrate whereas the softball won't -- because of the velocity differential.

I'm not a mathematician and I have to struggle with many of the concepts in most of my loading manuals, especially those by Lyman and Sierra, which are the most comprehensive. However, I do understand physical[/] concepts such as those found in the terminal ballistics studies conducted by Julian Hatcher back in the early 20th century. Largely ignored or even laughed at these days by proponents of the "small caliber/high velocity" school of thought, Hatcher's work has never been discredited.
"If energies were equal", and both bullets were of the same construction (same weight, jacket thickness etc.....just a diameter difference) the smaller diameter bullet would pass deeper into the target. The wider diameter bullet will transmit more of it's energy on impact.

I still can't see why you believe the smaller diameter bullet would give as-deep penetration when it can't given its lack of mass unless you propel the smaller-diameter bullet at much, much higher velocities.

The .41 Mag gains it's edge on "mainly" two areas, bullet diameter, and bullet weight. Velocities (if you compare light to heavy bullet weights in both calibers) are pretty close, so speed isn't all that different.

I'm so sorry if I'm being dense because I'm not absorbing some concept you're attempting to explain, but it really seems to me with this statement that you're contradicting yourself, or at least you're agreeing with me. And, no, the velocities are not comparable. The .41 Mag. in my world outdoes the .357 Mag. in any reasonable comparison, so don't bring up sub-158 gr. bullets. The 140 gr., 125 gr. and 110 gr. bullets don't fit into this discussion within the context of hunting dangerous animals. While you can get those lighter bullets to travel at nearly warp-speed, they would fragment almost upon contact with a dangerous game animal.

I hunt with .44 Mags in revolvers, and several single shot & bolt handguns in rifle calibers, but with all the deer I've had to kill over the past years from car/deer accidents, and seeing what it can do, I wouldn't have a problem using it.
With bear, and knowing ahead of time, I'd probably go with something heavier. But if the .357 was all I had, I'd just carry ammo that would do the trick. Federal is even producing and selling their "Hardcast" line for magnum handguns. Just a hardcast factory load that would work perfect for such ventures.

I'm glad you'd carry something bigger, but I wouldn't take the chance just for the sake of carrying a few ounces less, especially if my life is on the line!

And I'm glad you have the proper mind-set. Perhaps your .357 would do the trick after all if you have that much confidence. My training has taught me that attitude and mind-set are more important that what you hold in your hand, provided, of course, you hit what you intend to and where you intend.

Oh yeah, I don't know about a bull being "thin skinned". Comparably, you've gotta go a lot longer way to hit vitals, and killing one that's mad is even worse.

It's still a bovine. It's thin-skinned.

Al......a cop & a musician ? Guess what Al....we've got more in common than you think.....

My parents taught me guitar and mandolin beginning at age 6 playing bluegrass and Buck Owens. I graduated to rock later and now also play bass, keyboards, and my favorite-- drums.

My all-time favorite band is Grand Funk Railroad.

Ever heard of the band "Anthrax" ? Joey Belladonna....the lead singer.........."taught him everything he knows".......hahahaha...no not really......we've been best friend's and bandmates since 1975 when we first met. Played together up until 1979-80 when I moved and got married. I still talk to him every other month or so. We exchange sound tracks and both work on projects. I provide guitar tracks to him for certain songs etc. He keeps prodding me to come to his place (studio) lay down some tracks and jam like we used to.

I'd love to send you some mp3 files of the group(s) I've played with, but only through e-mail. Click my e-mail or profile thing for the address.

Gotta motor. This message may be so long now it'll choke the forum.

Allen

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:18 pm

RooK wrote:
allendavis wrote:It was the Russell County Sheriff's Department, back late in 1979 to early in 1981.

I was just a young kid straight out of college and was hired initially just to transition the department from their wheelguns to semi-autos. However, the department got rocked by a major scandal because the Sheriff and almost half the deputies were caught by state and federal officers taking huge kickbacks, bribes, etc. from the "bootleggers." (It's a "dry" county.)[/quote="allendavis"]

Doesn't surprise me. I'm in Laurel Co, borders the east of Pulaski. City police here were even quite friendly with a local bootlegger until he was mysteriously killed...
If those people down there would ever pull their heads out of their butts and finally, finally vote to legalize alcohol, then they'd see 90% of their law enforcement corruption problems evaporate. Then again, maybe they'd shift their corruption towards the pot dealers and meth lab dummies.

I don't advocate legalizing medications by any stretch of the imagination, but the lessons history teaches concerning the 18th Amendment and Prohibition should be enough. Some people refuse to learn. Do they have their heads shoved up their butts for the warmth or the aroma? Or is it their Bibles shoved up their butts???

Sorry, but I'm pretty libertarian and am not really apologizing for it.
RooK wrote:
allendavis wrote:I'd love to give you more despicable details of how corrupt that county became, but will only do so in a private e-mail and with your promise of confidentiality. BTW, A&E did a show about the assassination of a Sheriff candidate just outside Somerset in Pulaski County that happened just a few years after my experiences and came back to Indiana.[/quote="allendavis"]

I won't ask you to delve any further. One of my uncles was a sheriff in McCreary county while that was going on. When he got elected, he practically fired the whole department due to the corrupt deputies. The guy that succeeded him is far from being upright. Politics have been and always will be a mess.[/quote="RooK"]

Until the voters decide to remove the lucrative incentives for such corruption . . .
Well, I'd rather have the 11 or 12 shots from a 10mm in a 1911 simply because I trust that gun and can shoot it better than any other auto pistol on earth, other than my beloved 9mm Hi-Power sissy-pistol crunchenticker, and I ain't about to use that puppy on any animal bigger than rabid poodle! ;-)

Them's my two cents' worth.

Allen

RooK
Markiii.org Owner
Markiii.org Owner

Post by RooK » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:59 pm

London and Corbin here went wet for restraunts only, so far. This is the only place you can get a drink between Richmond and Jellico. About a 100 mile dry zone I guess you'd say.

BTW, I find myself mainly aligned with Libertarians. No harm, no foul.

Handgunr

Post by Handgunr » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 am

Al,

Yep, "School of thought"....sorry, my bad. I guess it was a cross between that and "Rule of Thumb"......."Rule of Thought"....nice...
I'm so sorry if I'm being dense because I'm not absorbing some concept you're attempting to explain, but it really seems to me with this statement that you're contradicting yourself, or at least you're agreeing with me. And, no, the velocities are not comparable. The .41 Mag. in my world outdoes the .357 Mag. in any reasonable comparison, so don't bring up sub-158 gr. bullets. The 140 gr., 125 gr. and 110 gr. bullets don't fit into this discussion within the context of hunting dangerous animals.
Well, I'll try and explain "what I mean" as best as possible using your format :lol:

No I wasn't contradicting myself.

What I was stating is not a "concept" and was taught as a fundamental ballistics principal when I started a long time ago. It was also conveyed by Technicians from Federal Ammunition who were present at our Sniper courses during their seminars as well.
I conveyed these same principals in the classes I instructed many, many times.

I used the "finger vs. fist" analogy, not figuring that finger joints would be an issue, but the exact anaolgy that was used in the classes I did attend back then was (from my notes);

"If two cylinders of equal weight, one of longer smaller diameter, and one shorter, but of larger diameter, were suspended over a soft bed of test medium, such as wet sand, and dropped from the same height, and attaining the same velocity on impact, the longer, smaller diameter cylinder, having lesser frontal area, would penetrate the medium far deeper due to it's smaller frontal diameter".

I don't know, but this seems fairly straightforward to me, but that's just me. And, yes, I do realize that the .357 and .41 Mag's don't posses the same energies.
This example was to clarify my point regarding penetration regarding diameter itself. If energy was equal, the thinner diameter "cylinder" would penetrate farther. With lesser velocity on the part of the thinner cylinder, penetration might very well be equal in this instance.

In the example given, both cylinders have transmitted their respective energies, but based on their physical makeup, their performances are much different. The smaller diameter cylinder transmits it's energy over a longer distance, due to it's shape, whereas the cylinder of larger diameter does so in a much shorter distance also based on it's design. Naturally, as the difference in size becomes less between the two, a middle ground is reached I guess.
You fall into the same trap that almost everyone else falls into when discussing these matters: you get wrapped up in kinetic energy. You know I'm "old school," so I don't give a lot of weight or credence to this type of energy measurement. I prefer to think about "momentum."
No "trap" Al,
Momentum refers to the "quantity of motion" that an object has. Kinetic energy is the "energy of that motion". An object which has motion - whether it be vertical or horizontal motion - has kinetic energy.
You can "prefer momentum", but they're both intertwined, and both have an effect. That energy is transmitted on impact with an object, not "all at once", but a good portion of it initially, tapering off until the end of it's travel.
And no, I don't believe that what kinetic energy that is transmitted to the object being hit, will "knock it, or them, off their feet". More of a "reaction to the energy" when being struck. A lot like jumping when being stuck in the a$$ by a hat pin.

The impact energy itself has more of an affect on the tissues, and it's limited ability to expand, or it's elasticity.
On the other hand, being an ex-officer, I'm sure you've been told that a deer slug with it's soft lead makeup, hitting a bulletrproof vest, would, more often than not, fail to penetrate. But, the kinetic energy, or shock, absorbed itself would kill the wearer, more than likely gelling the vital organs.
Depending on the shape of the object in flight, more or less energy can be transmitted to the object struck by it on impact.

Regarding penetration in any similar example, both projectiles (bullets) will penetrate, yes, but as in the cylinder example, the projectile with the narrower frontal diameter, all else being equal (meaning speed, mass or weight, and bullet construction) will penetrate deeper and transmit it's energy over a longer distance.

This hopefully will answer this next item, at least partially.
I still can't see why you believe the smaller diameter bullet would give as-deep penetration when it can't given its lack of mass unless you propel the smaller-diameter bullet at much, much higher velocities.
What I was trying to explain (based on this principal) was that by using a heavier bullet in the .357 Magnum, and pushing it to maximum velocities, penetration would be better...not the "same" as a .41 Magnum, as in my comment from a previous post;
Although the .357 has lesser energy than the .41 Mag, using the proper jacketed bullet, and with the smaller diameter it has, will penetrate far more than you think.
The "you think" part, should've been stated as "more than you'd think", not meaning "you" as an individual.

Admittedly, I said "lesser energy than the .41 Mag" and, I also referred to "the proper jacketed bullet", meaning a match type jacketed, or hard cast heavier constructed round. Restricting the expansion of any round will allow it to penetrate farther until it's energy is exhausted. That's regarding penetration alone.
On another note regarding kinetic energy & flesh, tissue needs to be damaged, causing serious trauma and blood loss to effect a quick end. Penetration "alone" cannot reliably accomplish this.

I wasn't comparing the .357 Magnum to the .41 Mag, as the energies are much different. What I was stating was that the .357 can be tailored to "penetrate better" with the right loads or bullets, since penetration was an issue. In some cases, pretty close to the .41 Mag.

Somewhat unrelated, I found some data that was interesting never the less....
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www. ... .stops.htm

Evan Marshall is a pretty well known authority, and I've read a lot of his work over the years. Although these bullets tested were of varying designs and weights, I found their "penetration qualities" to be pretty amazing. The medium used was consistent, so, although I wouldn't use a 125gr bullet to shoot a bear with, one of heavier weight and construction would fair much better, I'm sure.

I paid very little attention to the "one shot stops" part of the testing and mainly to the penetration issue. Although a heavier bullet will produce less velocity, and in turn, less "listed" energy, it's "momentum" will carry it further.
The two schools of thought in ballisitics are the "light & fast", and "slow & heavy". Both have their "pro's & con's". Light & fast will naturally get you there faster, with flatter trajectory, and usually more explosive expansion. Within closer ranges, those type of loads can, and usually do produce energies that are "at, or above" the energies of the lower heavier loads. But, based on their lighter bullet weight to gain those speeds, their penetration qualities are quite poor as the bullets usually come apart long before they reach anything vital on tough targets.
Simplifying it somewhat, based on their weights, momentum can be generated by a "mass x velocity" equasion, whereas when velocity lessens over it's flight, mass takes precedence, carrying it's energy further. Thus, resulting in higher energies past a given point.

About Bulls vs. Bears (sounds like a Ditka thing).....

Don't know Al, it's been awhile since I butchered a bull, and several years since I skinned and butchered a bear with my taxidermist buddy, but the skin of each animal being as different as it is, it would appear to me (from hands on experiences) that the distances that need to be travelled to get to the vitals might be about like the "light & fast" vs. the "slow & heavy" analogy........the bear having a thick hide & grissle plate with a shorter distance to the vitals once through it......or the "thin skinned bovine" as you stated, with the longer run to the vital area.....

I just remember the bull as having a lot more guts than the bear......LOL

Gotta take a nap after this novel........

Take care,
Bob

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Al,
Yep, "School of thought"....sorry, my bad. I guess it was a cross between that and "Rule of Thumb"......."Rule of Thought"....nice...
I'm sorry, but I had dual majors in college: US History and English (please don't ask why -- it, too, is a long story!).
What I was stating is not a "concept" and was taught as a fundamental ballistics principal when I started a long time ago. It was also conveyed by Technicians from Federal Ammunition who were present at our Sniper courses during their seminars as well.
I conveyed these same principals in the classes I instructed many, many times.

I used the "finger vs. fist" analogy, not figuring that finger joints would be an issue, but the exact anaolgy that was used in the classes I did attend back then was (from my notes);

"If two cylinders of equal weight, one of longer smaller diameter, and one shorter, but of larger diameter, were suspended over a soft bed of test medium, such as wet sand, and dropped from the same height, and attaining the same velocity on impact, the longer, smaller diameter cylinder, having lesser frontal area, would penetrate the medium far deeper due to it's smaller frontal diameter".

I don't know, but this seems fairly straightforward to me, but that's just me. And, yes, I do realize that the .357 and .41 Mag's don't posses the same energies.
This example was to clarify my point regarding penetration regarding diameter itself. If energy was equal, the thinner diameter "cylinder" would penetrate farther. With lesser velocity on the part of the thinner cylinder, penetration might very well be equal in this instance.
After reading this, I retreated to a few of my ballistics books, and I had an epiphanous moment -- and then the phone rang. ;-)

I actually grasped what you were saying.
Momentum refers to the "quantity of motion" that an object has. Kinetic energy is the "energy of that motion". An object which has motion - whether it be vertical or horizontal motion - has kinetic energy.
This reminds me of the comparison of voltage and amperage. Voltage measures the flow; amperage measures the "pressure."

I am very familiar with Newton's Laws of Mechanics. And one of them states that "bodies in motion tend to remain in motion unless acted upon by outside forces."

In the vacuum of space, a bullet fired at any velociy would travel in a perfectly straight line forever, or until it falls into the gravity well of a star or planet. On earth, the major forces acting on a bullet are drag (air resistance) and gravity.

At any rate, the more momentum a bullet has, the more it will resist the forces that slow it down.
You can "prefer momentum", but they're both intertwined, and both have an effect. That energy is transmitted on impact with an object, not "all at once", but a good portion of it initially, tapering off until the end of it's travel. And no, I don't believe that what kinetic energy that is transmitted to the object being hit, will "knock it, or them, off their feet". More of a "reaction to the energy" when being struck. A lot like jumping when being stuck in the a$$ by a hat pin.
Now we seem to be on the same page!

I've always laughed at my elders when they'd talk about one gun "shooting harder" than another, or one gun having more "knock-down" another one.
The impact energy itself has more of an affect on the tissues, and it's limited ability to expand, or it's elasticity.
On the other hand, being an ex-officer, I'm sure you've been told that a deer slug with it's soft lead makeup, hitting a bulletrproof vest, would, more often than not, fail to penetrate. But, the kinetic energy, or shock, absorbed itself would kill the wearer, more than likely gelling the vital organs.
I'm happy now I was never told that, even if it isn't true. A Threat Level 2 or better vest won't let the wearer have his internals "gelled." He may get one helluva bad bruise and perhaps a broken rib or two, but he should survive.

I did get some dire warnings during my training that I should avoid letting my vest get wet or too sweaty, and some very, very detailed laundry instructions, the violation of which could render the vest useless.
Regarding penetration in any similar example, both projectiles (bullets) will penetrate, yes, but as in the cylinder example, the projectile with the narrower frontal diameter, all else being equal (meaning speed, mass or weight, and bullet construction) will penetrate deeper and transmit it's energy over a longer distance.
I will admit this has to be true.
What I was trying to explain (based on this principal) was that by using a heavier bullet in the .357 Magnum, and pushing it to maximum velocities, penetration would be better...not the "same" as a .41 Magnum, as in my comment from a previous post;
My argument is that the heavy-bullet .357 Mag. will penetrate better than standard bullet loads, but I still doubt it would approach the penetration level needed to kill even a relatively thin-skinned black bear. That's why I trust larger caliber, heavier bullets at higher velocities. I keep getting stuck on this "sectional density" thing, combined with momentum.

(Just being super-picky here, but "principal" means primary or first, i.e., the "principal" of a school, while "principle" means a primary point of fact or a highly-prized value -- just being a butt-hole about English. I can't help it, so please forgive me.)

(On the other hand, you are wiping the wax out of my eyes on some points about ballistics and have helped me comprehend a thing or two more clearly.)
On another note regarding kinetic energy & flesh, tissue needs to be damaged, causing serious trauma and blood loss to effect a quick end. Penetration "alone" cannot reliably accomplish this.
"Penetration," or too much of it, is precisely what killed my beloved .41 Mag. as a law enforcement cartridge. And that lesson of history was lost on a respected hero of mine, Col. Jeff Cooper, who shamelessly promoted the Bren Ten and the 10 mm auto cartridge back in the early 1980s.

In my own training, I wasn't taught to "shoot to kill." I was taught to hit center-of-mass, and hopefully, my bullet(s) would induce such a rapid loss of blood pressure that the perp would cease all hostilities as quickly as possible -- we were taught that if the bastard died in the process, it was his fault for failure on his own part to comply with lawful orders from a law enforcement officer.

Bullets that exit a human target often fail to put the subject down, even with multiple hits in seemingly vital areas, and this even after dramatic projectile expansion.

I formed an early admiration for the .45 ACP, actually when I was in high school. Even though my first duty gun of all was a S&W M-19, I was required to carry 158-gr. SWC ammo. (This was with a private security firm while I was in college in Tennessee.)
I wasn't comparing the .357 Magnum to the .41 Mag, as the energies are much different. What I was stating was that the .357 can be tailored to "penetrate better" with the right loads or bullets, since penetration was an issue. In some cases, pretty close to the .41 Mag.
Pretty close, but it's hard, but this is game. For law enforcement, the .41 Mag. is too much, even if you go to a 150 gr. bullet, which defeats the purpose of the .41-cal. in the first place!
Somewhat unrelated, I found some data that was interesting never the less....
http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www. ... .stops.htm
Will check this out.
Evan Marshall is a pretty well known authority, and I've read a lot of his work over the years. Although these bullets tested were of varying designs and weights, I found their "penetration qualities" to be pretty amazing. The medium used was consistent, so, although I wouldn't use a 125gr bullet to shoot a bear with, one of heavier weight and construction would fair much better, I'm sure.
I paid very little attention to the "one shot stops" part of the testing and mainly to the penetration issue. Although a heavier bullet will produce less velocity, and in turn, less "listed" energy, it's "momentum" will carry it further.
I respect the statistics he's compiled over the years, and it's never been based on anything other than real-life situations and circumstances. That being said, I do put a lot of weight in what he says. Those "one-shot stops" makes me respect the .357 Mag. with awe. I do wish he had more data on the 140 gr. JHP as opposed to the 125 gr. JHP.

Simplifying it somewhat, based on their weights, momentum can be generated by a "mass x velocity" equation, whereas when velocity lessens over it's flight, mass takes precedence, carrying it's energy further. Thus, resulting in higher energies past a given point.
About Bulls vs. Bears (sounds like a Ditka thing).....
I'm much, much more interested in the Manning vs. Manning thing on Sunday Night Football this week. I a huge Colts fan (naturally, since I live 30 miles southwest of Indy).
Don't know Al, it's been awhile since I butchered a bull, and several years since I skinned and butchered a bear with my taxidermist buddy, but the skin of each animal being as different as it is, it would appear to me (from hands on experiences) that the distances that need to be travelled to get to the vitals might be about like the "light & fast" vs. the "slow & heavy" analogy........the bear having a thick hide & grissle plate with a shorter distance to the vitals once through it......or the "thin skinned bovine" as you stated, with the longer run to the vital area.....
I wouldn't mind killing a bull (bovine) with a .22 LR. but I'd prefer a headshot at close range.

Critters are critters. Once you're inside the rib cage, you're hitting vitals.
I just remember the bull as having a lot more guts than the bear......LOL
You're actually right. The bovine does have a much more complicated digestive system and a longer intestinal train.
Gotta take a nap after this novel...
Me, too!

We've got to split this discussion up into different threads/topics, whatever. I'm exhausted.

Kindest regards,

Allen

Handgunr

Post by Handgunr » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Yes, Al...

"Equasion, not equation".....LOL
I used to be real fussy over my police reports and lesson plans regarding spelling, but apparently I've slipped since retirement & aging. Getting old too fast.....my eyes aren't as quick anymore.

I guess the momentum issue is more like the weight the object possesses at speed, and maybe the kinetic energy part is more like the energy it possess on impact.....I've imagined the theory issues on this one when applied in the "real world", and on real targets.

I guess it's just a matter of definition, but for the most part, I think it's just an overall accepted thing that more momentum equals more energy.

Kind of a no brainer for most folks. And I think your example using voltage & amperage is "right on" as far as comparing the definitions of each. I guess both terms momentum & kinetic energy could be "close, but not exactly the same". Or maybe better yet, you can't have one without the other, at least not in this context anyway.

I could be imagining it wrong, but for some reason it always appeared to me that momentum is more a measurement of "motion", and kinetic energy is more a measurement of the "impact" from that motion.
I guess measuring the energy of an object anywhere along it's path would devulge it's kinetic energy, and an "impact" itself wouldn't necessarily be required to determine it mathematically. It always appeared that even though the two measurements are directly related, trying to mentally seperate, or understand the two as seperate terms can sometimes be difficult.

During the Sniper/Observer training we had to go through Army wound ballistics classes and stuff of the like. It was very enlightening as far as the great amount that skin would expand before it ruptures. The explosive energy of the bullet when it impacted the skin was obvious in the photo's they had. On several photos they had, instead of a nice clean entrance hole, it was just a jagged mess. They had slow motion video of bullets impacting cadaver flesh, and live animals......PETA wouldn't have allowed these classes if they had known......LOL

(Just being super-picky here, but "principal" means primary or first, i.e., the "principal" of a school, while "principle" means a primary point of fact or a highly-prized value -- just being a butt-hole about English. I can't help it, so please forgive me.)
Feel free Al......I don't mind....you're absolutely correct, and I don't type while looking at the screen like most. I stare at the keyboard and I must've had one of those moments.
Actually, as long as the spelling was okay.....I guess I'm 50% better than the last typo.
Ironically...my two best subjects in school was word & word comprehension....so I guess I'm slipping there to.

I used to have to correct other officers there quite a bit, as the area that I live, folks aren't very literate when it comes to spelling...or word comprehension really. Even my old Capt. at work.....he used to have me proof read his work, as did one of my old Sgt.'s. I felt bad for them, but they really didn't seem to care (that was the sad part).
When supervising a shift now & then, I'd have to proof read reports that went to the Sheriff for review. I remember one report where the officer meant to use the word "which" in a sentence, when in actuality, she used the word "witch", not once but several times. Man, defense attorney's would've had a ball with that one. Make you look like a real a$$ in court.

I put my "all" into all my reports and it kept me from looking like a total idiot on the stand during trials. Attorney's used to love to pick on stuff like that.
I always used to say "The perception of a man's intelligence is commonly judged by his spoken or written word".

The was my only reason for correcting anyone else though. I was trying to help them save face, and really not to appear smarter than them, as smarter is a relative term. It depends on "where & how" the term "smarter" is used I guess. I would've been embarassed "for them" for the most part.

Laughingly, I always remember my step-dad (who never made it past 10th grade 'cause he had to leave school to run the family farm) using the term "Book smart, street stupid"......he was a very intelligent man in many practical areas.

Well Al........I'll try and find some comparitive tests on penetration regarding several calibers across the board. CCI/Speer had sent me a bunch of their data back sometime ago when I was trying to choose duty ammo for our Dept. I don't know what I did with it, but if I can locate it, I'll post it.
It covered everything, if I remember correctly. Especially their "Gold Dots" in the bullets available.

Gotta hit the range....

Take care,
Bob

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Gentlemen lets remain focused on the topic of firearms.

R,
Bullseye

Handgunr

Post by Handgunr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:25 am

Yep, sorry Bullseye, started to stray off there.........

Bob

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by allendavis » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:23 pm

OOOOPS! :-)

Yeah, we've strayed from the topic of firearms alright. (We can always correspond offline via e-mail!
I guess the momentum issue is more like the weight the object possesses at speed, and maybe the kinetic energy part is more like the energy it possess on impact.....I've imagined the theory issues on this one when applied in the "real world", and on real targets.

I guess it's just a matter of definition, but for the most part, I think it's just an overall accepted thing that more momentum equals more energy.
No, I see kinetic energy as a release of the "potential energy" that the bullet possesses, and that potential energy is stored in the powder and primer. Look at it as the amount of mechanical energy required to lift a 100-lb. anvil with a pulley to a height of 10 feet. As long as the anvil hangs in the air, it has "potential energy." When the anvil is released, it the potential energy then becomes kinetic energy. The amount of force it transmits to the floor, ground, whatever, is a measurement of its momentum, although it is accelerated somewhat by gravity.

In my own mind, momentum is akin to hitting your brakes really hard when you're driving at 70 mph. The forward movement of your car is harder to stop at that speed than if you were only driving at 30 mph because of the momentum of your vehicle.

If I strike an object while my car is traveling at 70 mph, both kinetic energy and the momentum of my car are both factors.
Kind of a no brainer for most folks. And I think your example using voltage & amperage is "right on" as far as comparing the definitions of each. I guess both terms momentum & kinetic energy could be "close, but not exactly the same". Or maybe better yet, you can't have one without the other, at least not in this context anyway.
I think you're very close to correct on this point. Heck, I used to be a real whiz at physics in high school and college, but it's all evacuated my head since those days. My hair was a deep sandy blond in those days and I finished college 1978. If my higher mathematics skills had been stronger, I would've become an engineer!

I've been poring over my 1978-vintage Sierra manual's ballistics sections and my old Lyman 46th Edition (the best of the best, IMHO), and I find that I can understand the math better if I struggle with it, I'm having trouble separating concepts in my head.
I could be imagining it wrong, but for some reason it always appeared to me that momentum is more a measurement of "motion", and kinetic energy is more a measurement of the "impact" from that motion.
I guess measuring the energy of an object anywhere along it's path would devulge it's kinetic energy, and an "impact" itself wouldn't necessarily be required to determine it mathematically. It always appeared that even though the two measurements are directly related, trying to mentally seperate, or understand the two as seperate terms can sometimes be difficult.
I'm getting a 9-mm headache over all this!!! ;-)

I think I agree with your first paragraph of the last quote. On the second one, of course it has to be done mathematically. However, math doesn't always provide the best predictions with most modern day calculations.

In the real world, mathematics provide the most accurate predictions with internal and external ballistics -- not terminal ballistics. (Ever hear of the Powley Computer from the 1960s??? ;-)
During the Sniper/Observer training we had to go through Army wound ballistics classes and stuff of the like. It was very enlightening as far as the great amount that skin would expand before it ruptures. The explosive energy of the bullet when it impacted the skin was obvious in the photo's they had. On several photos they had, instead of a nice clean entrance hole, it was just a jagged mess. They had slow motion video of bullets impacting cadaver flesh, and live animals......PETA wouldn't have allowed these classes if they had known......LOL
While I am not a veteran of any branch of the Armed Forces, I never had the direct benefit of that type of training. However, I did get a ton of training in forensics that I find absolutely fascinating. And, of course, I've studied all of Hatcher's Notebooks and the like. All the ballistics studies I could lay my hands on from the 1890s on convinced me that "bigger means better" when caliber alone is considered, and that's why I'm a freak over the .45 ACP to this day for self-defense.

The most dangerous game I've ever hunted and killed are the wild boars in Tennessee and Texas and a couple of javelinas in Arizona and New Mexico (and believe me, those little pigs out there are a lot more dangerous than you might think!). Other than one small black bear, that is, but that was an accidental contact and we weren't hunting.
Well Al........I'll try and find some comparitive tests on penetration regarding several calibers across the board. CCI/Speer had sent me a bunch of their data back sometime ago when I was trying to choose duty ammo for our Dept. I don't know what I did with it, but if I can locate it, I'll post it.
It covered everything, if I remember correctly. Especially their "Gold Dots" in the bullets available.
I used to do penetration tests using ballistic gelatin, but I don't have usable gelatin left, and the prices for this stuff these days is just not reasonable, and I can't afford to buy it anymore. The "oven" I have still works fine, but this stuff can only be used so many times. And it sells for about $100 per block, and a 2-block minimum is required. Much as I'd like to have some new gelatin, that $200 is needed much more badly for other things! (Like new guns, more powder, primers, etc., or even crazy stuff like home improvement!)

I suppose I'll rely on my old media.

Allen