Ruger SR9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Blindpig

Ruger SR9

Post by Blindpig » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 am

Any of you guys tried the new Ruger SR9 yet? Or maybe bought one? I dropped by a gun shop the other day to look one over (not the shop I usually deal with; he's not a Ruger stocking dealer) and didn't stay long. I looked the pistol over and when I started to try the trigger pull, the guy behind the counter said " don't dry fire it!" I tried to explain that it was a striker-fired pistol and Ruger says it's fine to dry fire it as long as the magazine is inserted. He gave me this Neanderthal look and repeated his statement. I told him he could keep his pistol and maybe take the time to learn a little about it before he tried to sell it. I'm always amazed at how little most people who work in gun shops know about their products.
Anyway, I've kind of got the semi-hots for one of these and would like to get some opinions from the people I trust on this forum.

neophyte

Post by neophyte » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 am

Blindpig: Sir; I have the wants for one. Haven't shot one; just fondled.
Something strange happened while fondling; at store #1 I did not like the feel.
I checked it against the G models that I have. SR9 didn't "feel" right. Store #2 same setup and the gun felt okay? Now what gives; Store #3 felt ok. store #4 Ok? All were set up alike; one felt uncomfortable; the rest ok? Beats me.
My reason for all the stores. Want a Cougar 8000; and was to compare the two. Never found the Cougar.
My favorite :D dealer brought me the SR9 to a gun show with the understanding she was going to get my "money" anyway :) and again I compared the "feel" thing. Felt ok?
My point? 5 different units and 1 did not fit.
I ended up with another Glock; with the understanding that "she" would have the SR9 ready for me :lol: and still get the money.
Craig

By the standards of most

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:43 am

I too have much interest in this new design. I am kinda on the fence waiting to see or hear if they are going to have an offering in .45 or not. Anyone heard anything about this yet? Or should I just start scraping the pennies together now and get this one and then get a "SR45" if and when it comes out? Also, has anyone got one yet and taken a look inside to see if the magazine safety is circumventable? Just wondering.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:58 am

jjfunk wrote:I too have much interest in this new design. I am kinda on the fence waiting to see or hear if they are going to have an offering in .45 or not. Anyone heard anything about this yet? Or should I just start scraping the pennies together now and get this one and then get a "SR45" if and when it comes out? Also, has anyone got one yet and taken a look inside to see if the magazine safety is circumventable? Just wondering.
This design doesn't look to me like something Ruger would offer a .45 in but I could be wrong. As far as the magazine safety goes, Ruger's web site has a link to an article in Guns & Ammo in which the author says the safety is easily removable. What did you think of the trigger pull when you handled the pistol? To me, it felt like Ruger had subcontracted the manufacture of the fire control group to a Chinese toy maker. :roll:

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:16 pm

When handling I thought about the same thing. Didn't feel "cheap" but just felt unfinshed. I will probably go ahead and grab one, probably over the next month or so. After removing the mag safety and maybe polishing up the internals it should be a good pulling trigger. I remember that some of my other brand new Rugers felt a little "gritty" or "rough" and after a couple hundred rounds and some good polishing/cleaning they came into their own. I'll hope for the best once again.
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:56 pm

jjfunk wrote:When handling I thought about the same thing. Didn't feel "cheap" but just felt unfinshed. I will probably go ahead and grab one, probably over the next month or so. After removing the mag safety and maybe polishing up the internals it should be a good pulling trigger. I remember that some of my other brand new Rugers felt a little "gritty" or "rough" and after a couple hundred rounds and some good polishing/cleaning they came into their own. I'll hope for the best once again.
JJ, do you think this is a trigger that can be improved? It's a striker-fired system and I've always thought there wasn't much you could do with those. Maybe Bullseye can enlighten us on that.

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:49 pm

I would say if nothing else that the striker housing, mating surfaces, and the actual pins and bushings should be able to be slicked up. It is a good question though, as I haven't tried one yet.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:57 pm

I'll have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to the SR9. It has only been out for just over a month now and I have not had a chance to inspect one of these. I have looked at the drawings. The trigger system looks close to a cross between Glock style and a M&P. The trigger bar looks suspiciously similar to a Glock connector. The trigger likely could be improved but that may take replacing trigger parts with custom made ones designed to lighten the trigger pull. It may take some time for custom parts suppliers to get out replacement trigger parts to smooth out the trigger pull.

R,
Bullseye

jjfunk
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jjfunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Is the work required beyond the average home tinkerer's ability though?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:11 pm

I can't say for sure until I get to inspect one of these SR9s. The Glock trigger modifications aren't beyond a tinkerers realm.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am

Bullseye, let us know when you've had a chance to handle one of these and tell us what you think about the trigger pull.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 am

Will do.

R,
Bullseye

rusticbob

SR9 report

Post by rusticbob » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:46 pm

I've had my SR9 for a few weeks now. I've put 3-400 rounds thru it. Not even a burp! Shoots everything and is as accurate as I am. This is my first striker fired pistol,(confirmed Kimber 1911 fan) It will take me a while to adjust to the new trigger pull, but I'm impressed so far. Very narrow, light even with 17 onboard. This could be my favorite CC gun, as soon as I find a holster. Its kind of difficult to stick it in your belt and expect it to stay there without a good CC holster. Any suggestions?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 am

SR-9 is physically very close in size to the 1911 and nearly identical to the S&W M&P, any holster designed to fit these models should work fine for your new pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Re: SR9 report

Post by Blindpig » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 am

rusticbob wrote:I've had my SR9 for a few weeks now. I've put 3-400 rounds thru it. Not even a burp! Shoots everything and is as accurate as I am. This is my first striker fired pistol,(confirmed Kimber 1911 fan) It will take me a while to adjust to the new trigger pull, but I'm impressed so far. Very narrow, light even with 17 onboard. This could be my favorite CC gun, as soon as I find a holster. Its kind of difficult to stick it in your belt and expect it to stay there without a good CC holster. Any suggestions?
If you go to Ruger's web site, they have a listing of compatible holsters for the SR9. If I remember correctly, Galco make one for it.
Like you, I'm a Kimber 1911 fan. My CCW is a .45 Pro-Carry II stainless. I'm not sure I want to give up my sweet 3.5 lb. trigger pull on the Kimber for that long, mushy pull that all the striker-fired pistols seem to have.