S&W 669 question

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cm6259

S&W 669 question

Post by cm6259 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:35 pm

I was recently gifted with a very lightly used, nearly pristine, S&W model 669. This pistol is ultimately intended for home defense (my nightstand). Initial test firing tells me what seems obvious. This pistol is designed for short range fire and/or concealed carry.

I have this habit of wanting to make sure all my firearms are as accurate as I can make them, so that I absolutely know that any crappy marksmanship is all me.

Does anyone know of a source for aftermarket barrels or other parts that will improve this pistol, or do you recommend I just leave it alone, as it is already well-suited for it's intended purpose?

TIA.

Rds,

cm6259

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

What's a S&W 669? Must be a model that they no longer make. Is it a revolver or an auto-loader? In any event, it sounds like you already answered your own question. If you're going to use it strictly for home defense and you're satisfied with its performance in that category, I'd leave it alone. I use a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 as my principal home defense/carry weapon and the only thing I've done to it is lighten the trigger pull to 3.5 lbs. and put a set of night sights on it. It seems to do pretty well at killing all the bad guys within 30 feet or so (at least the paper ones) and that's all I care about.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:04 pm

the 669 is a nice compact 9mm Pistol.
I would have my doubts that there is any "tweaks/parts"
that would generally "improve" the firearm accuracy.
I'd just enjoy it for what it is at the range and have it
handy by the bed.

The burglar/perp. doesn't really care where that 1st/2nd round hit him...
and you can place the 3rd exactly where YOU want it to be...

is it stainless/blue ?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 pm

I found another person selling a 669 and he had a picture, so here it is -

This is a second generation 9 mm model pistol based on a model 59 frame. Light weight aluminum frame and stainless slide. Most of the inaccuracy of these pistols comes from the long trigger travel of the double action style trigger. I've found these to need a lot of practice to improve accuracy - I had a Model 39 for many years.

R,
Bullseye

cm6259

Post by cm6259 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 am

Bullseye has already kindly provided a description and photo, so I'll skip that part. From the photo, I see that Pachmayr makes grips for the 669, so I'll look into that. Otherwise, I suppose I'll let it be what it is, and use it as such.

I have a ready supply of reloads for practice, but am told I don't want to keep these in the pistol for defensive purposes due to legal reasons. I suppose I should be looking for commercial ammo with something very PC in the name. Is there any manufacturer making 'cute fuzzy bunny savers' out there :-/ ? Maybe something from Glaser. Is this perhaps a topic better suited to another thread?

Rgds,

cm6259