The Dark Side

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

The Dark Side

Post by greener » Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 am

I fired bgreene's Glock 43 last week and liked it. I have an LC9 which is about the same size that I don't really like. Saturday I bought a Glock 43.

Yesterday I took it to the range and right off the bat, it decided it didn't like my reloaded 115gr rn reloads. Wanted to jam, not extractand other problems. (This doesn't count the 9 CCI primers that didn't want fire). It fired flawlessly with new PMC 9mm. I fired about 70 rounds. Accuracy was pretty good, once I figured out where the sights want to shoot (6 o'clock a little low for target center).

Comparison between the 43 and the LC9:
The Glock has a 6 round mag, the LC9 has a 7 round mag
The Glock is a bit thinner and is better for pocket carry.
The LC9 is more my reload friendly.
I might be able to shoot the glock more accurately. I haven't done any point and shoot drills yet.

First time field strip and reassembly of the Glock was interesting. Their instructions were beyond my flexibility.

Note: A sign of advancing age? I fired the 43, LC9, SR9 and M&P9 yesterday. I don't field strip the 9mm's very often. It took a minute or three to "remember" each one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: The Dark Side

Post by Bullseye » Sat May 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Factory Glock barrels come with the polygonal rifling and do not recommend use of any reloaded ammunition in them. Aftermarket barrels made for Glocks with traditional rifling can handle reloads.

I find field stripping a fairly easy task, but activating the slide lock (takedown bar) can be a bit of a challenge since they are fairly small in width. One doesn't have to retract the slide very far to be able to activate the slide lock. Be sure to squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber first before attempting slide removal.

R,
Bullseye

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 am

The little take-down switch did elicit some technical language. The instructions were general and seem to assume you had 3 hands. One of those do it a few times to get the feel of it.

I thought the Glock-reload problem was with lead bullets, so I wasn't worried about my coated/jacketed reloads. I'll look into barrels.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:16 am

I know of several who shoot reloads through their Glocks factory barrel with no problems. One even shoots lead. He found out you can shoot a hard cast and coated with out any problems.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 am

blue68f100 wrote:I know of several who shoot reloads through their Glocks factory barrel with no problems. One even shoots lead. He found out you can shoot a hard cast and coated with out any problems.
Glock doesn't recommend reloads. No one does. I need to figure out why it doesn't like my reloads. It's not one of the guns I'll shoot a lot so if I have to shoot commercial it won't be a big deal.

The primer failure to fire is more a puzzler.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 am

I've shot thousands of my hard cast reloads (with CCI primers) through my Glock 19 Gen 4 without a single hiccup. My son shoots USPSA with a Glock 34 and uses reloads with hard cast bullets and not a problem, however these guns are frequently cleaned. I'm truly surprised that you're having an issue with yours.

Good luck

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm amazed that it has been a year. Most of my darkside shooting has been with new ammo.

The problem I had with the Glock and my reloads seems to be a relatively tight chamber on the Glock. I recently used the barrel as a gauge and ran my reloads through a Lee factory crimp die. The amount of crimp was based on getting the same feel as new ammo. One jam on 50+ rounds. I do not need factory crimps with the LC9, SR9 or M&P9.

The 50+ rounds from the Glock at a 5.5" Caldwell marking target at 15 yards went mostly in the upper left quadrant of the black. I didn't have the same results with 50 rounds in my Ruger SR9. I was lucky to hit a Caldwell target. Old eyes needing a spectacle change, I hope.