Colt Gold Cup Trophy

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

Replacing the roll pins with solid ones is a big help with the Gold Cups. Sooner or later those roll pins are going to give way. Happy to hear that Colt made their mistake right, even if it was a long time ago. Back in the late 70's, Colt's customer service wasn't very well regarded in the shooting world.

R,
Bullseye

slabsides

Post by slabsides » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:16 am

Bullseye:
Perhaps Colt's rep for service was deteriorating in the 70's. But you couldn't prove it by my experience. Sure, some knuckle-dragger in shipping sent me the wrong package. But when I called, and spoke to DeJohn, the service manager, he was polite, upset that I had had a bad experience, and IMO went out of his way to make it right. I know that I have a NM pistol that is outstanding in fit, appearance and accuracy as the result of my misfortune.
I should also mention, giving S&W equal time, that I purchased a brand new K22 Masterpiece during this same time period, which was very poorly fitted. I sent the gun in to S&W with a detailed list of its deficiencies. It took a long time, but when I got my gun back it was simply perfect in every respect.
I don't know who was responsible for the good service from S&W, but it was outstanding in my experience.
I've owned dozens of guns, and had occasion to send them in to the factory on many occasions, and honestly can't recall a single negative response to reasonably presented and valid complaints.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

I know this is a many years old thread, but, I had to throw my 2 cents in.

This is my New, 2009 Gold Cup Trophy that I just paid over $$$$ for.

This is quality control... it's going back for the obvious mis-milled rear sight groove... How their going to fix this one, I don't know.. yet..I can't even get to center of target....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Yep, I'd say that one is a little right of center. They'll probably just bend the front sight over to the right! :shock: Don't worry they will fix it right for you.

R,
Bullseye

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Bullseye wrote:Yep, I'd say that one is a little right of center. They'll probably just bend the front sight over to the right! :shock: Don't worry they will fix it right for you.

R,
Bullseye

:shock: AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH.. maybe I'll use the same tool I used on the Mark III :roll:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm

perazzi wrote: :shock: AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH.. maybe I'll use the same tool I used on the Mark III :roll:
I had that exact same thought - Great minds think alike. 8)

R,
Bullseye

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Old thread - new post

Post by Pete D. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:50 am

This thread title caught my eye before the date of the OP did.
I was interested, of course, because the gun that I bought years ago when I was starting the Bullseye match game was a Gold Cup. I have never had a complaint about the gun; it has never even hiccuped.
I did, however, send it out to be tuned by that late wizard of the 1911, George Madore. Interestingly enough, I purchased a Clark match barrel to replace the factory barrel - George sent it back with the gun along with a note that there was nothing wrong at all with the factory barrel.
That gun now has - oh. I don't know exactly - at least 60k rounds through it and I have never had to replace a part. SWC's only.
The gun was bought back when they were selling for about $750. The total investment at the time was $1100 including an Ultradot.
Pete

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Got my Gold Cup back!!

They replaced the slide.

Interestingly, they "tested for function and accuracy" but, they used the old sight that was adjusted as far left as possible... lol

Anyway, I adjusted the sight to center and the shots are on center.

A little unhappy about the bushing being .003 over barrel size and .006 under slide size, but, oh well....

Any one have a preference for a replacement bushing? I have the means to fit it...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 am

Get a Kart oversized match bushing. Brownell's has them http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2456 ... CH_BUSHING

R,
Bullseye