Accuracy of Small Autos

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 am

I think the small autos are not as accurate as their larger counterparts, but because of the short sight radius and grip you generally have to concentrate on the fundamentals more than on a larger gun. The extra thought that goes into shooting them well translates into better groups.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 am

The test I have seen/read were done from a ransom rest so the shooter is not involved. I think the main difference on the 1911 platform anyway is the bull barrel setup. When you get full lockup you get better accuracy. With a bull barrel you have this lockup and reliability too. I also think that since most are new guns from the ground up better more advanced machining is done.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 am

greener wrote:Charlesb: is Texas really that far behind in handgun carry?
It's ahead of some, and behind others.

There's no open carry, for example.

For me, the ideal setup is concealed carry - but where you don't get into trouble is somebody accidentally glimpses your gun while you are digging for your wallet, changing a tire, picking up a dropped item, etc..
Last edited by charlesb on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am

Everyone should understand that I bought a Glock not because I thought it was best, but because I'm in the process of opening up a gunsmithing business and much of my potential clientele happen to carry Glocks. - Lots of state and federal agencies here in West Texas.

I dunno squat about Glocks and my policy is to learn and experiment on my own gun, not somebody else's. This is the core principle for self-taught gunsmithing that has served me very well for some decades, now. Following this policy, I have developed a nodding acquaintance with a wide variety of firearms.

The guns that I buy to learn on always end up being sold or swapped off, sooner or later. - Generally so that I can buy another gun to learn on. This process will continue for as long as I do.

I do have a short list of "keepers" that I will hang onto until the bitter end - but I just got the Glock C29, and it's a bit early to decide whether or not I will keep it.

Once the honeymoon is over and I am thoroughly familiar with it - then I will decide about keeping it or letting it go.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Once the honeymoon is over and I am thoroughly familiar with it - then I will decide about keeping it or letting it go.
The honeymoon has been over for millions of Glock owners, but most of them would never give them up.
I have a G34 and love it's simplicity, feel, and reliability.
thanks,
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 pm

I have a gen 3 22c (former duty gun) and a gen 4 22.... I shot g17's in the academy. I like the reliability and simplicity of the glock, but it is not my favorite. the longer I carry one it does seem to grow on me more.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne