bulldog 44 spl.

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Bullseye wrote:
greener wrote:I knew common sense firearms laws would reduce the number in circulation.
Now you're seeing the liberals use of the word "sense" in them. Common sense = "Non(e)-" sense, with emphasis on "none" with regard to firearms legislation.

R,
Bullseye
Are you suggesting that common sense isn't all that common?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 pm

While true, I wasn't all that clear with my point. The "None" I was referring to is actually who (as far as citizens) the liberals believe should be able to own firearms.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Bullseye wrote:
Not that extreme..... But I am hoping for good ice on the lakes to go diving under....
I've seen some of the pictures and have to disagree, anyone who dives under the ice in near-zero visibility conditions, with full-face gear and a dry suit, qualifies as "extreme" in my opinion.

R,
Bullseye
Image I think that's a cows jawbone I have here....

https://picasaweb.google.com/1160473600 ... directlink

we had 60-70 feet of visibility on this dive......... and 10" of ice and a foot of snow overhead. the shots looking up at the ice hole were from 50' down
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Lakes covered with ice I know absolutely nothing about, but i do know about the Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special. Mine is a black coated stainless steel DAO (aka "hammerless") 2 1/2".
It fits in my front pocket no problem. We live in a rural, very low violent crime area so I'm comfortable with 5 chances plus an HKS speedloader with 5 more. Right now I'm using Winchester Silvertips.
When I feel the need for more firepower I supplement the pocket Bulldog with a 357 J frame in a belt holster under an untucked shirt.
Buffalo Bore has introduced a 200 grain hard cast full wadcutter 44 Special round suitable for Charter Arms that clocks 920fps out of a Bulldog. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 pm

The Bulldog is a good carry gun. .44 Spl. will do the job if called upon.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 am

Not sure how we got side tracked to icy lakes.... But I would take the 44 spl any day for SD.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 am

I don't know much about Charter Arms other than they have lot's of colorful products. I like their description of the grips as "recoil friendly". http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... ematic.asp

Charter Arms seems to focus their production on SD revolvers. How do their revolvers compare to S&W, Ruger, Taurus, etc? You can always shoot .44 special from a .44 magnum. Does the .44 special comparatively drop enough bulk and weight to make it preferable for carry?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:57 am

bgreenea3 wrote:Not sure how we got side tracked to icy lakes.... But I would take the 44 spl any day for SD.
Ice diving - I was responding to your comment about losing all your firearms in a canoeing accident and recalling a picture you once posted of diving in some harsh conditions under the ice. The point was you possess the skills to recover those items, after all you have been trained to do so in an investigation in your line of work. So I'd rethink my excuse about lost firearms to something more out of your locus of control. A good investigator would see right through that one. :D

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am

Hmmm? Not sure if this is about the charter arms 44sp or ice diving, LOL. Both sound interesting. Since I don't know nothing(bad english) about ice diving, I say the little I know about revolvers. Revolvers a cool, period, and the CA 44sp surely fits that niche, and I would like to own one. At just over 20 oz empty weight it can be carried w/o much hassle. The 44sp can be loaded with an 180g xtp, whereas my 38sp is loaded with 125g xtp, so we're talking a lot more beef per shot! Nothing as pleasant as a rimmed cartridge to reload to, no worries about head spacing like non-rimmed. I also feel sd people worry tooo much about penetration. It's gotta go through a steel wall, then the bg, then lodge halfway through a tree to make some happy. My choice would be to penetrate the victim without and not have enough energy to hurt another person. With all this being said, I still like my Ruger LCR 38sp+p for it's concealability, carryablility, and power. It's one of my fav carry sd guns.
Now, what I know about ice diving: "Be very, very, careful"
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Bullseye wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:Not sure how we got side tracked to icy lakes.... But I would take the 44 spl any day for SD.
Ice diving - I was responding to your comment about losing all your firearms in a canoeing accident and recalling a picture you once posted of diving in some harsh conditions under the ice. The point was you possess the skills to recover those items, after all you have been trained to do so in an investigation in your line of work. So I'd rethink my excuse about lost firearms to something more out of your locus of control. A good investigator would see right through that one. :D

R,
Bullseye
Right, I also know how hard it is to find anything in zero visibility murky waters in the bottom mud...... metal detectors do help a lot.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Bullseye wrote:

R,
Bullseye
Right, I also know how hard it is to find anything in zero visibility murky waters in the bottom mud...... metal detectors do help a lot.
And here I was going to compliment you on never being out of your depth.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 pm

have carried a .44 in the past, Taurus with the hammer spur removed.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:04 am

greener wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:
Bullseye wrote: Ice diving - I was responding to your comment about losing all your firearms in a canoeing accident and recalling a picture you once posted of diving in some harsh conditions under the ice. The point was you possess the skills to recover those items, after all you have been trained to do so in an investigation in your line of work. So I'd rethink my excuse about lost firearms to something more out of your locus of control. A good investigator would see right through that one. :D

R,
Bullseye
And here I was going to compliment you on never being out of your depth.
I'm rated for 100' or so, I try to be above that depth! :roll:

-John Wayne

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 am

bearandoldman wrote:have carried a .44 in the past, Taurus with the hammer spur removed.
you are gonna need a bigger pocket for that poodle shooter BAOM.......

I like the looks of that taurus....

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 am

So you just have to take that ill-fated canoe trip out into deeper water; Lake Superior perhaps? :D

R,
Bullseye