XDS 45acp

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Can't do that, my Mom won't let me run with scissors...
you could buy the round ended scissors, but I guess that would defeat the purpose.
This might be a good add-on for hard-to-rack autos.
I have to turn my hand around so that my thumb is pointing towards the rear
of the slide and pull back, that way I can get my whole hand on the PM9 slide.
It's still a challenge. I used to have good strength, but I've lost some over the years.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Brass stacker makes a thingamajig that goes over the rear of the slide to help racking the slide. for a Glock might make one for the Kahr....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:Brass stacker makes a thingamajig that goes over the rear of the slide to help racking the slide. for a Glock might make one for the Kahr....
That looks like something that would be pretty easy to make, and could be attached with screws rather than welded.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:14 pm

I think it clamps onto the slide serrations.

Another no mod option would be to hook the front of the rear sights on the edge of your belt, holster, aunt frazzie's antique sideboard etc and push the grip to work the slide, the old 1 handed slide rack. They used to teach that to work the slide if you have an arm incapacitated in a gunfight....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm

It mounts similar to a Weaver scope ring. The device is split and has an Allen screw through it near the back of the pull that when tightened, firmly clamps it onto the slide via the serrations.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:18 am

bearandoldman wrote:The lighter the slide the heavier the spring. My P3AT KelTec .380 is a bear too rack the slide
The p32, however, is easy to operate and almost pleasant to shoot.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 am

bgreenea3 wrote:hook the front of the rear sights on the edge of your belt, holster, aunt frazzie's antique sideboard etc and push the grip to work the slide, the old 1 handed slide rack. They used to teach that to work the slide if you have an arm incapacitated in a gunfight....
It works on many of my guns, my CCO has a rear sight particularly suited to that use.
Hakaman wrote:I have to turn my hand around so that my thumb is pointing towards the rear
of the slide and pull back, that way I can get my whole hand on the PM9 slide.
It's still a challenge. I used to have good strength, but I've lost some over the years.
That's how I operate the slide, and the method I teach. It works on everything except internal-bolt pistols.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/runn ... -the-slide
corneredcat isn't just for the ladies

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:47 am

That's how I operate the slide, and the method I teach. It works on everything except internal-bolt pistols.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/runn ... -the-slide
corneredcat isn't just for the ladies
Good stuff BFD !
The other common safety bugaboo for those who are first learning to rack the slide is that it can be difficult to remain aware of muzzle direction while your mind and hands are learning this new skill. But for safety’s sake, you must always be conscious of the direction the gun is pointed, just as you must every other time you handle a firearm. Even though it may be difficult, it is very important that you never point the firearm at anything you are not willing to shoot.

I definitely prefer the "overhand" method, as it gives me the best control of the gun (and is easiest). One point that was made in the article, and I would like to repeat is: "always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (downrange) when performing this method. In order for me to accomplish this I position my person parallel to the downrange axis, in other words, sideways to down range. Safety first !
Thanks for the post BFD,
Haka

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Beretta makes a few small autos with a tip-up barrel, these have always struck me as being a very sensible design.

I have owned the little .25acp single-action, and the .22lr double-action models. Both were reliable, easy to operate firearms.

My brother once showed me his .32acp Beretta with a tip-up barrel, I think that's about as big as they get though.

It's easy to check or change your load with these, and though you can jack the slide, it's not really required for normal operation.

My favorite was the .25acp single-action model, it was little-bitty but still comfortable to shoot and more accurate than expected. - A true pocket pistol. One of these once saved my wife's life.

At one time, you could get the single-action model in .22 short with a longer barrel, 4 inches if I remember correctly. - I always wanted one of those, but never got a chance to buy one, or try one out. Looks like it would be a great tackle-box gun.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 am

I'd like one of the tip-up berettas as a toy, I think the 22short version was the "minx"

But without an extractor claw, I'd never trust such a gun for anything more serious than feral cat removal, in 22lr/short or 32acp. Cranking on the slide doesn't clear the gun, I think it would just induce doublefeeds.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 am

The Beretta's are called "Bobcat" (.22lr and .25) and "Tomcat" (.32). The Taurus version is the PT-22. From the couple I've seen and fired, they are pretty good little pistols. ruger22 has or had a couple of the .22 versions.

The pocket .380's may be taking up some of the sales for these.

BTW, the .22 Taurus version holds 8 rounds, making it a highly dangerous assault weapon in New York. Probably a reason to have one.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:29 pm

I've had some fun with the little .25 Bobcat, when a lady at the range I was running was having some problems with hers. It ran fine for me. Once I showed her how to hold and squeeze properly she had fun with it too. A few months later the same lady came back and joined in on one of our pistol leagues for beginners and spent several more years collecting and shooting firearms at the club. She once commented how much she liked the friendly and helpful atmosphere at our range and wanted to get into more target shooting.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I think the Bobcats or PT-22's shoot pretty well for small, light, short-distance pistols.

If the range is a friendly, helpful place, more folks shoot and enjoy shooting. If it is not, you can run folks away from shooting. The operator of the range I use is getting grumpier the older he gets. I'm seriously thinking about joining a shooting association that is an additional 40 miles each way because if the attitude.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I think the Bobcats or PT-22's shoot pretty well for small, light, short-distance pistols.
I have a Bobcat and it's a lot of fun. The tip up barrel is a nice feature, instantly making the gun safe. It's sort of funny when our line goes cold I flip up the barrel and slide a open action indicator in the barrel. I always get 2nd looks from the RSO. As far as the Bobcat's reliability is concerned, keeping it clean is important for reliable cycling.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I was looking at the specs for the XD/S and didn't see and mention of it being double, or single action. Whatever system it uses, they apparently are not too proud of it, or they would have said something about it.

Does that mean that it's set up like a Glock, or maybe it's DAO?