XDS 45acp

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

charlesb wrote:I was looking at the specs for the XD/S and didn't see and mention of it being double, or single action. Whatever system it uses, they apparently are not too proud of it, or they would have said something about it.

Does that mean that it's set up like a Glock, or maybe it's DAO?
The XD, XD(m), and XD(s) are all partially-cocked striker fire guns, somewhere between single and double action. The action of the slide will pre-cock the striker, which rests on the sear.

This is difficult to describe, and obvious when you look at the internals. XD guns are closer to being single action than a Glock, but only by a fraction.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

The XD, XD(m), and XD(s) are all partially-cocked striker fire guns, somewhere between single and double action.
The semi-cocked position is supposed to relieve some 'poundage' on the trigger pull.
It always makes me wonder, if it were even possible, if this semi-cocked firing pin would
be enough to set off a round if it were released? My Kahr is a striker fire.
Haka

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Kahr strikers are also partially tensioned, just not to the same extent as Glock/XD. You can check it out by watching the firing pin when you close the slide on your Kahr, you will see the cocking cam catches the FP when the slide still has about 9mm to travel until it is in battery.

Ideally, a partially cocked striker would not detente the primer, but it could happen. That's why the striker block is there.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:00 am

Most modern striker fired pistols have a interlocking plunger to prevent the striker from hitting the cartridge without the trigger being fully depressed.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 am

Bullseye wrote:Most modern striker fired pistols have a interlocking plunger to prevent the striker from hitting the cartridge without the trigger being fully depressed.

R,
Bullseye
Yes, while cleaning my Kahr I noticed the 'very positive' firing pin block. Just curious whether the partially cocked firing pin is enough to set off a primer?, even though it would never happen.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm

In most cases no it is not firm enough to set off the primer. Especially if the trigger is not drawn all the way to the rear and the blocking plunger is not depressed, then the firing pin cannot hit the primer regardless of how much it is pre tensioned. It takes a good amount of force to cause ignition between the primer body and the primer anvil to set of the priming compound.

R,
Bullseye

SantaFe66

Post by SantaFe66 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:08 pm

I bought a Kahr PM45 a year or so back and after shooting the required 200 break-in rounds (painful!) I carry it concealed. Like others have stated in the forum about the small Glocks, the Kahrs are slide-heavy. I haven't found that to be a problem with a loaded mag inserted because it balances the slide weight better.

I carry my PM45 with the standard 5 rd mag and also carry a spare 6 round mag. The trigger on the Kahr's is very smooth and doesn't upset your muzzle like the Glock seems to. I have never had a failure of any sort with the PM45, even during the break-in. It's a quality-built pistol with the entire feedway polished and needing no "tuning". It is a bit pricey but they do offer the TP45 for less $.

Specs are:
Barrel: 3.24", polygonal rifling, 1 - 16.38 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 5.79"
Height: 4.49"
Slide Width: 1.01"
Weight: Pistol 17.3 oz., Magazine 2 oz.
So, it's smaller than the XD-S and is likely the smallest .45 pistol available, although I'm not sure that's a worthy target. It's very easily concealable and I use a Pistol Sheath I got from Dillon that works very well.

Recoil is pretty nasty and after 150 rds during break-in, my thumb nuckle was skinned and bloody. It's not a pistol for extended range sessions but you're going to have to shoot it periodically to stay current. I was able to get right back on target for double-taps with no problem using a two-hand hold.