Ruger LC9 trigger pull

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dhawk

Ruger LC9 trigger pull

Post by Dhawk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 am

My LC9's trigger pull is so long that it makes it inaccurate. I'm looking at the Galloway trigger repair to shorten the pull but have to send the parts to them.

Has anyone used them and does it really solve the problem of the long trigger pull?

I have searched this forum for the answer to this to no avail.

Any responses will be appreciated.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 pm

What do you consider inaccurate? The lc9 was not meant for conventional pistol competition, but as a short range hide out gun, where a loooooong trigger pull acts as a safety of sorts.

How is yours shooting? Minute of.pie plate at 10 yards is about as good.as you can expect.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Dhawk

LC9

Post by Dhawk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:24 pm

I can hit a 6" target at 10 yards but was expecting better. Besides at my age the laser is impossible to hold still!!:(

Just thinking that a shorter pull would increase my accuracy.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:07 am

I would dry fire the bejesus out of it first, and get used to the trigger pull before changing parts. also try heavier and lighter boolits and see what it likes

-John Wayne

Dhawk

Dry fire

Post by Dhawk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks Bgreenea3. I'll try dry firing. Not sure what you mean on the ammo?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 pm

There's guy at the range who owns a pm9 that he's intent on shooting at 50 feet. While serving as RSO I mentioned to him that this gun is not meant for this distance, but for about 20' and in. He was the 'proud type' and he bragged that he was hitting the target about have the time. I let him continue because I didn't see any safety issue, but my respect for him just diminished because of his bragging. Just the same, like has been mentioned, all guns have their specific purpose based on what they are. My LCR is not a target gun, but my G34 could be considered that. With your LC9, you should be content with a somewhat tight group at 20'. Much bigger concerns should include it's reliability, concealability, etc, for a SD gun.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Try boolit weights from 115 to 147. And try some of different velocities Target loads to SD load velocities .... And see if it makes a difference.

But remember that long pull is to make sure you mean to shoot it and nod have an unintended discharge under stress. With practice your groups will get better shooting with it. And your trigger control will improve with your other guns with lighter/shorter pulls. Kinda like shooting a double action revolver. The trigger parts will also smooth out after shooting and dryfiring a lot.

I would ring the SD load I like in the gun and then find practice ammo that replicated it and practice with that.

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm not sure you are going to get much better than about 4" groups from the LC9 at 50'. You might with a lot of dry and live firing. It's possible that the bullet weight and powder load will make a difference.

The long trigger pull is a safety feature. The travel is like a revolver in DA, just takes practice to get used to pulling it straight back for about forever. My Ruger P90 has a long trigger pull. If I shoot it after shooting something with a shorter trigger, the first couple of rounds go low as I adjust to the trigger.

I shoot my LC9, TC738 and S&W442 at 15 yards and am satisfied with ~5-6" groups. As SD firearms, the expected range is much less than that.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Learn to pull the trigger without staging it. Learning this will improve you accuracy and make your speed shots more accurate. The trigger pull time should be fast as possible. But learning you should just do one steady pull. The faster you learn to do this the more accurate you get with time. Staging is a very bad habit.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 pm

It's not a target gu,but a oint and shoot s/d gun At to 10 yarda a 10 inch pie plate is plenty good.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm

bearandoldman wrote:It's not a target gu,but a oint and shoot s/d gun At to 10 yarda a 10 inch pie plate is plenty good.
Yep

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Dhawk

Dry firing

Post by Dhawk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks, guys. I spent all afternoon shooting football players in the head on TV:)!!! I have a much better feel for the trigger and the gun has loosened up somewhat.

PS: My wife was not happy with my activities and left the room. She don't especially like watching football anyway!!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Dry firing

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

Dhawk wrote:Thanks, guys. I spent all afternoon shooting football players in the head on TV:)!!! I have a much better feel for the trigger and the gun has loosened up somewhat.

PS: My wife was not happy with my activities and left the room. She don't especially like watching football anyway!!
Sounds like she could wish you had live rounds, shooting at football on TV!

My wife is lucky that I'm not a sports nut. I never watch any on TV.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Re: Dry firing

Post by greener » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 am

Dhawk wrote:Thanks, guys. I spent all afternoon shooting football players in the head on TV:)!!! I have a much better feel for the trigger and the gun has loosened up somewhat.

Glad you practiced enough to get the feel of the trigger. Understand about wives and sports. Promised mine last night that I wouldn't watch another Sugar Bowl for several months.