1911 Poly

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

1911 Poly

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:16 am

I'm not into 1911's that much, but think they're great guns just the same.
I didn't realize they were making them with poly frames. Is this new to the industry?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=559

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 am

STI has been making an hybrid receiver for many years now. They use a steel slide and polymer grip that is replaceable. I was thinking Colt is making a polymer frame too. I found them a couple of years ago when I was in the market for a new carry gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:34 am

RRA has been "just about to make" that polymer 1911 for a while.

There are a couple polymer doublestack frames out there already.

Personally, I like polymer pistols - - but I change out the poly mainspring housings on my 1911s for steel, it just seems wrong on that platform. Grips as well, they should be wood or aluminum on a 1911. I'd change a plastic trigger out on a 1911, even though the frame/trigger/grip on my XD & PPS are polymer.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 am

Plastic is for squirt guns... :shock: :D
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm all for using new and different materials to update old designs, kind of a new twist on the Lightweight commander..... as long as it holds up to use and abuse.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm

It'll hold up well for a long time if you don't use it as a hammer.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 pm

I have to agree with BFD, in a 1911 platform I prefer the classics.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:32 am

As long as they don't put a DAO trigger on it, I could probably handle a polymer-framed 1911 OK.

If a steel-framed 1911 was sitting next to it though, the plastic model wouldn't come out of the case as often.

The main advantages that I can see are reduced weight, and less sensation of recoil.

It should also be about 1/3 the price of a steel frame, which is considerably more difficult, expensive and time-consuming to manufacture.

If the plastic stuff is not significantly less expensive - then you're being taken.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 am

My polymer-framed pistols seem to hold up pretty well. They aren't quite as prone to rust as the steel ones. I haven't really done a close comparison of polymer pistols and steel pistols that have been in constant service for wear. I'd suspect that steel holds up a bit better. That kind of wear is not a big concern for me.

I wouldn't mind having a polymer .45, like the M&P. When it comes to 1911's, I'm not sure anything but steel would feel right.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

What kind of comparison do you want? I've got a Sig p226 9mm that I was issued at my first police job, that went through ten years of part timer cops before I got it. And I shot the bejeezus out of it. I also have a glock 22c that I carried for 9 years that was issued so someone before me. It has been shot a lot as well. Other than cosmetic rings and honest wear on the finish. Both have held up mechanically perfectly. And there have been zero cracks in either's frames. The glock had a broken pin that holds the trigger group in, but that's it for issues as far as broken parts.

Let me know if you need any other long term comparison info.

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

And few years ago I got hooked on the 1911 ergonomics and design, and I did some extensive reading and research on the gun and JMB's other designs.

One thing is keep in mind when it comes to innovation in 1911-land is that John Moses Browning made the gun to the specifications of a committee with the best materials possible at the time.
But he was actively innovating and inventing - he'd probably be amazed how little the 1911 design has changed. I doubt he would disparage new materials, after testing.

Polymer frames and DAO triggers, however, have no place on MY 1911s, because I'm irrational about it and don't need other reasons.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Polymer frames and DAO triggers, however, have no place on MY 1911s, because I'm irrational about it and don't need other reasons.
Perzackly.

And for me, that approach applies to ALL my guns. I have exactly one long gun that has a composite stock. Everything else, with the exception of grips, is steel and wood.

Just cuz I like it that way.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 pm

And I'm ok with that. Blue steel and wood are beautiful.

-John Wayne

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:And I'm ok with that. Blue steel and wood are beautiful.
That's how I see it.

Just to prove I'm not a complete troglodyte, I have a couple of SIG's that are SA/DA with decockers.

But they're steel... :D

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Can't beat the lightness/carryability of polymer, though! For carry guns, to me,
lightness and size are my first prerequisites, then function/reliability. I may sound
like reliability takes back burner, but it doesn't, because their are many light, compact, reliable guns out there.