A little success

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A little success

Post by keithj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Haveing got my gp-100 all tuned up and ready ..I got back into the sport of preditor calling......been out 3-4 times and pretty uneventfull....till thanksgiving morning....I made my second stand of the morning and had made quite a few calling runs with rodent and rabbit distress ......and nothing wanted to show itself....so I sat quite for 10-15mins just kinda watching the edges of the woods about 100yds from my hiding spot behind a round bail....and I decided to try something alittle out of my normal calling comfort zone....I restarted calling with a mid volume rabbit distress for 2 sets then I went straight into a agressive coyote barks....followed up with some fox distress and coyote barks mixed in as if the fox was killing a rabbit and mr yote comes into the rabbit but ends up fighting with the fox....I finished the set off with 2 short yote howls ...and bingo standing 200yds down wind ( crap) is mister yote . I cock the pistol and start lip squeeking with the back of my hand ..here comes mr yote .....he comes into 175 and locks up....now he is following the fence line and coming in rather garded...he gets to 150yds and I put the cross hair on-top of his back just as I start to sqeeze the trigger ....he turns and runs as if shot out of a canon.....its possible he winded me ..but I used all options to prevent that....I know he didnt see me as he wasnt looking in my direction when he broke.....not sure what happened....but next time out the .223 will be close by ....

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 am

He/they probably picked up your scent. They normally travel in packs so their may have been another around you did not see. They will generally circle an area before approaching the reason a tree stand is preferred. In the center of bails of hay should give you enough cover. Though my allergies would never allow me to do that. Now if you had a wobbler/shaker to show something was actually going on they may have continued at a faster pace. Around here you very seldom see them during the day.

I have learned in calling small game that if you mess up on one call it's an alarm and they will stop and may or may not proceed. I spent weeks learning the barks of squirrels to get the rythem down right. The distress call is the same for both red's and gray's but the barks and tone are different.

Sounds like your having fun. If it was easy more would be hunting them. Keep at it you will be rewarded.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm

That does sound like fun, let us know if you get one.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm

If you don't have a decoy Midsouth has them on sale.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0214460078
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911