The day after

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

The day after

Post by Jack D » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Son was here for Thanksgiving and the day after we went out to the shop for a bit of target shooting. He brought is LCR (.38 spl) and his new purchase of the SP101 SS, 3", .357. I brought out my SP101, .357 and the new LCR 22. He fired .38 +P in both the LCR and SP101 and I used my hand loads, 148 gr. HBWC over 3 gr. Trailboss in .357 cases.

I tried his LCR with the +P's.....two rounds and I was done. Very painful to my arthritic thumb. The hand loads were a joy to shoot. Comfortable and much less noise. I'm sure neighbors appreciate them more, too. I also burned some .22's in my LCR.

An enjoyable hour or so with my oldest son.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Quality time with family is always fun.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds like a good time. I've enjoyed a few hours shooting with my favorite son.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I tried his LCR with the +P's.....two rounds and I was done. Very painful to my arthritic thumb. The hand loads were a joy to shoot.
I wonder how much power is enough to do the job? Some people think the more power the better, but the neighbors house has to be a concern with hot rounds penetrating through drywall so easily.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 am

Family time, a wonderful thing.

I have never seen the purpose of +P loads for SD. Your going to be up close and personal. Mfg of SD ammo test there ammo at the loads for performance. HD does not mean it has to meet the FBI requirement for law enforcement. And you are not going to be shooting through car windshields like a requirement for law enforcement. Here in TX were responsible for everything thing our bullet hits. So I would prefer to be a little under power and use more bullets if needed. But we don't have to deal with the heavy clothing like you do up north....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am

I looked at Hornady's ammo when I got my LCR-357, mainly because it was 25 rounds to a box instead of 20 like most others, and still had a good reputation.

Their FTP bullet has a plastic tip inside the hollow point that is supposed to give reliable penetration and expansion even through heavy clothing. I settled on the XTP round, which is a more usual jacketed hollowpoint, in 120 gr .38 Spl.. Just old-fashioned, I guess.

I see a lot of posts on other forums, where people feel they have to carry the heaviest, hottest loads their guns can handle. I'm comfortable with light 38 rounds. Plus P or .357 is just asking for trouble, unless you're being mugged by a BG with a Kevlar jacket....... :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

I feel most vulnerable at home. My SP101 is nearby my bed loaded with Gold Dot .38's. At the other end of the house is the LCR 22, hidden for easy access. When I carry, the LCR 22 is my choice because it is light, hides easily and doesn't pull my pants down. I believe it will do the job in 99% of the times it may be needed. In the woods the SP101 is my choice, loaded with .357 mags. We live in the woods. Very rural. Can't see the nearest neighbors house in the Summer due to the leaves on the trees. In the Winter we can see parts of the roof, but nothing else. I carry the LCR during our daily walks for the unexpected vicious dog or rabid wildlife. A coyote recently attacked a 6 year old not far from us.

I really don't expect trouble requiring a firearm, but.....stuff happens.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

I do not expect to ever have to use my weapon against another human being. I fervently hope than I never have to, and I take as many precautions as I can to avoid situations where it's even remotely possible. I don't go into bad neighborhoods, I don't hang with bad people, I don't have habits that are likely to bring me into contact with bad people, and on those occasions where aggression is likely, I tend to be conciliatory and/or walk away.

That having been said, d r u g s, particularly meth and heroin, have made enough of an inroad into this area that home invasions are happening. Also, I WILL NOT be mugged or car-jacked without resistance.

Therefore, I carry. Since I retired and don't have employer regulations to worry about, I carry all the time, everywhere. And there are loaded weapons in strategic spots throughout the house.

Realistically, the most likely use will be varmint control. The freakin' tree-hugging summercators think foxes are cute and feed them, so we are absolutely over-run with the little boogers, and they've decimated my flock of layers more than once.

The good news is, they're not really afraid of humans as a result of being fed. The last one I saw (while not armed, wouldn't ya know it...) stood 20 feet or less from me and gave me a "what's YOUR problem?" look while I yelled at it. I actually had to chase it out of the pasture.

I've since decided that that Jennings .22 is (hopefully) better than a rock or a stick and it now lives in the inside pocket of my Carhartt jacket.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

The freakin' tree-hugging summercators think foxes are cute and feed them
This is the most ignorant thing humans can do to wild animals. Ironically, this is one the most abusive things to do to wild animals as well. When wild animals lose their fear of humans, bad things happen, eventually leading to the animals demise. Ignorant 'tree huggers' :roll:

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Hakaman wrote:
The freakin' tree-hugging summercators think foxes are cute and feed them
This is the most ignorant thing humans can do to wild animals. Ironically, this is one the most abusive things to do to wild animals as well. When wild animals lose their fear of humans, bad things happen, eventually leading to the animals demise. Ignorant 'tree huggers' :roll:
You mean you don't like feeding the cute wild critters in your back yard?

Other than rabies, bears tearing up your garbage cans, dead domestic animals and killing off gamebirds and other wild birds, what could go wrong?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

To me, animals are very interesting, but I have learned that wild animals are "wild", and should be left that way. Tree huggers these days give more rights to animals then humans, and are just as big of problem. Animals are to be managed wisely by humans, but not made to be worshiped like the tree huggers do. JMTC.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Hakaman wrote:
To me, animals are very interesting, but I have learned that wild animals are "wild", and should be left that way. Tree huggers these days give more rights to animals then humans, and are just as big of problem. Animals are to be managed wisely by humans, but not made to be worshiped like the tree huggers do. JMTC.
Haka
You just need to know how to communicate with wild animals. One of my children has a postgraduate degree in hyena communications. Seems to work

No trees to hug, so the soft cuddly beastie had to do

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Why do I get the feeling that a massive dose of tranquilizers, delivered via air gun, figure into the cuddly factor? :P
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm

That's a cool picture of the hyena, I must say I have never seen one picked up
before. I'm of the same tune as Downeaster, that dog has to be enjoying some
good medications. I was fortunate enough to take a photographic safari back in 1996,
and these are a few of the many critters I seen. I must admit though, I didn't have
the family jewels to pick any of them up. That's me in the Ngorngoro crater. Can you
tell that the lion is a little angry at me? I was starring at him eye to eye and he
didn't like it. That's not hard to do from the confines of a safari vehicle, thankfully.
ImageImageImageImage

greener

Post by greener » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 am

Downeaster wrote:Why do I get the feeling that a massive dose of tranquilizers, delivered via air gun, figure into the cuddly factor? :P
Well, it helps if you mellow out the beastie first