Hangun'in yote's

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hangun'in yote's

Post by keithj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Well after the disapointment of my gp-100 not being really useable as a bullseye gun...I decided to try .357 loads....and bingo...125gr XTP / 16.5 grs 2400 ..5/8'' at 25yds....iI'm elated at that accuracy...should be a good hundred yard shooter......So now what do I do with this tack driver....well in the last few days Ive been able to round up 6 places to call yotes....and after a trip to dunhams and 150.oo bucks later ..new camo....boots ...and a couple of calls......havent hunted anything in 12yrs......feelin like a kid at christmas.....guess the gray on the chin is good for something..all the young guys at work say they cant find places to hunt well ....looks like having some gray hair pays off ..old guys can be trusted not to cut fences and shoot out building......anyway .....hunted yotes yrs ago with a .243.....but for some reason....a scoped GP-100 will be just that much better.........Hope I can whistle one up in the morning

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 am

I always thought the fact that my GP100 wasn't a Bullseye gun had something to do with the Puller, trigger M1 part. Good to see that it's the gun-ammo combination. :lol:

Looks like you've got an interesting hunting piece. Good luck on the hunt and I'm looking forward to the report.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 am

The cotes are plentiful at and around my dad's place. The local use gut's from field dressed animals for bait or the distress rabbit calls. But you must be elevated (tree stand) to do any good and hope the wind is in your favor. Some have got as many as 5-6 in one night with 2 shooters. There is a website that has a cheap way to make a wobbler (out of a toy used for cats) and they use a cheap amp from radio shack and outdoor speaker for their ipod. I think the whole setup was <$50.

Good luck on your hunt....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 am

I'm hunting SW Ohio.....There is a good number of yoye's around. I dont have very many place's yet , 5 but I'm starting kinda late...I still need a few more permissions...Hope to at least get a few this season....then I'll start gather spots earlier next yr .....Went out for about a hr this A.M. and called a spot mostly open fields and tree line with a small woods on one end...the owner had his 3-month old German Shepard killed by yotes .....didnt see anything...but its close to the house I can hit it after work pretty easy....my 4 other spots are 15 miles north of the house and I can hit them in a rotaintion..anyway had fun this morning and it was great being out......If I can kill 2-3 these winter I will be pretty pleased.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 pm

The last time I was out in SW Ohio was at the Miami Rifle and Pistol Club for some NRA Highpower rifle competitions, it is pretty rural out near Batavia. I'm sure you can get permission from plenty of the farmers out there to hunt Yotes. Folks were genuinely nice out there and pretty easy to get along with.

Darn now that I've been thinking of it you got me craving some Cincinnati cheese and chili coneys.

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Bullseye,
I'm about 1hr or so from there .....Finding places to hunt is harder than I remeber...But where most guys use rifles and require open spaces useing the handgun lets me hunt the smaller area's where most dont fool with....I at one time used a remington 700 ADL in .243...I had a good load worked up for that rifle with 70gr spire points...and I believe 4350 powder...sure wish I still had the gun......I may go down to Miami Rifle and Pistol this coming spring and shoot some BE there.....A freind of mine shoots in their benchrest matches....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

There are some good folks over there at that club. They always ran a really good match, plus they put on a pretty good spread of food after the range goes cold.

R,
Bullseye