+P in short barrels

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

+P in short barrels

Post by Downeaster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 pm

After several months, my local Mom & Pop gunshop finally found me an S&W Model 60 snubbie.

On those occasions when I happen to choose it as my carry piece, I intended to stoke it with +P JHP's.

Then I got to thinking...(ouch...) with only an inch and a half of barrel to work with, will +P even affect muzzle velocity?
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Is your M60 +P rated? Seems that earlier models may not be. If it is +P will work. My 442 shoots +P well and I assume the M60 will also. Short barrels will have lower MV's than longer barrels. Also, when I look at "book" +P loads versus normal loads, I didn't see that much difference in muzzle velocity. You do get a bit more muzzle energy. I'm not overly convinced that the +P .38 is that much more of a higher performance round than the standard .38. I think I'd rather shoot 17,000 psi rounds than the +P 20,000 psi rounds.

I bought a box of +P and carry them. Don't shoot many.
Last edited by greener on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

+P loads ore way over rated. In some case std ammo produces more velocity and lower pressures.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 pm

I use +p and the .357 mag in my 65-5 smith.....I like the speer short barrel loadings.....the +P is 880 fps /135gr bullet and the .357 mag is 990 with the same bullet.....IMHO this is a very good pair of cartidges ..I dont know what your 60 is rated as ..but if it will handle the .357 mag loading I can recommend it....its not really a mag loading and is easy to control....If your gun is .38+p rated than the .38+P version with serve you well....this loading has past the FBI test protical....and the velocitys listed are for a 1 7/8 or a 2'' barrel ....both rounds are very user freindly and perform well.....but be sure to get the short barrel version.....it is a different bullet than the standard gold dot......I load the gun with the +P's for the wife around the house and when I carry it the mags go in....I dont carry a wheel gun alot as I havent mastered a combat reload...but when I do these loads are carryed in complete confidence....m.odel 60's are sweet carry guns for sure.....I found my 65 in almost new condition....and with a set of nice grips and a good holster it makes for a nice body gaurd for sure .....

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:38 am

The 60 is a J-frame, .38spl only.

Surfing various gun sites, I find that opinions on the benefits of +P and their suitability for J frame guns are all over the map.

I think I'll buy one box of the self-defense +P ammo for short barrels for carry; both for the possibility of improved performance and for legal reasons, and shoot the heck out of it with my stash of .38 SPL SWC and WC loads.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.