Remington 1911R1

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Remington 1911R1

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Finally got the Raasco grips in and put on with the Gold grip screws. Also added the Wilson trigger for a little tighter fit. Shows the thick flange end cap. Also shows the Kimber 8 round magazine, I like the Kimber 8 round because unlike the Remington 8 round that came with it the magazine bottom is flat metal and even with the grip Magwell.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:39 am

Nice looking 1911, I see you like the short trigger. It also appears from the picture that the barrel has a nice tight lock-up inside that bushing, that should make for some good groupings. Reminds me of one of my favorite service-issued match guns, it was built out of an old Remington-Rand 1911.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 am

Bullseye I do like the short triggers. I have three 1911 and all with the short trigger. I am 5'5"inches hand my hands are smaller, so the short trigger is the best way to go. I am really impressed with the fit of the slide and bushing, the gun is very well made and just feels good in my hands. I did have to ask for a shorter front sight due to it shooting low. Remington sent one right out at no charge and now point of aim is right on.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 am

It is important to have a firearm that fits you well. Too often folks try to make due with all the "bells and whistles" instead of customizing their guns to fit the style of body that they possess. Adapting your shooting style instead of adapting the tool you use to shoot can be disastrous for accuracy and marksmanship. You're on to something good with this pistol and I'm sure it will bring you years of good service.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am

Nice looking gun. Fit is key to shooting accurately, you are going the right way.

I shot my friends LB Stinger in SS yesterday. The grip on that gun does not fit my small hands and could not reach the trigger properly. To make it worst I was having problems seeing the sights in the indoor range. I was all over the place with it. To me the trigger felt heavy compared to my Kimber UCII (4.25#) I guess it was closer to 6#. The gun has only 1200 rounds through it so I would expect the trigger to smooth out some more. The gun would not slingshot either, which is widely reported on this model. Not what I would expect from a $2K gun.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Check the Les Baer pistol to see if the slide can retract properly into the full rearward position. In a 1911, the slide stop cannot drop on its own and must be forced downward via the trapezoidal cut in the slide stop notch acting on the top edge of the slide stop lever. If the pistol has a shock buffer installed on the recoil spring guide pin it may be restricting the rearward movement and there may not be enough travel to slingshot the slide.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43 am

I had all ready checked the gun, no buffer installed. The slides goes all the way to the back and the lock lack maybe 0.010" more for it to work. Since LB SN all of the parts building up the lock is out of the question. The only solution would be to install an over size lock if they make one. For him it's not a problem since it's strictly a range gun. But if we could locate an over size part that would fit the ticket.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911