SR-40 or XDM-40

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

SR-40 or XDM-40

Post by Biggjimm » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Any body familiar with both the Ruger SR 40 & the Springfield XDM 40. Any pros, cons likes, dislikes. Any thoughts or opinions. Thanks.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

Both are great guns , you can't go wrong either. The xd mags are a little less expensive to purchase extras. And there may be more holster options for the xd.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am

The Ruger is American........ :D , the XDM is made in Croatia........:cry:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:36 pm

I have had an XD-40 for 4 years. It has been faultless.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I've had a xd 40 sub compact for a couple years its a great gun, greener has had nothing but good luck with his SR9 over the last few years too... I would go with the gun that your hand likes the best. (the grip feel the most comfortble

-John Wayne

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:05 am

Ruger22, that whole "American Steel" (and polymer) thing sure has a nice ring to it. As far as comparing the two from what I have read they seem to be pretty well equal as far as reliability & functioning issues go. I haven't seen any bad press on either. Going to local gun show this morning so I'll fondle them both real good & see what I like. I haven't really checked out the SR 40 all that close yet but my buddy has a SR9 & it feels decent in the hand but bgreena3 I don't know what they've done different to the XDM but it fits my hand like a glove & it stays put like a magnet. I don't think one could custom make a grip frame for me & have it fit any better. I'll spend a fair amount of time with both of them today & I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again guys.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 am

Its hard to beat "fits like a glove" :D

-John Wayne

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Couldn't find a SR 40 or XDM but I did get a good deal on a Rock Island Arms 1911 .45ACP. It is like brand new (paperwork says it was tested at the factory 1-22-12) & it's a highly polished nickel plated model & it is clean. And it shoots good too. Took it to the range as soon as we got home. Surprisingly it has a fairly decent trigger. The sights leave a bit to be desired & I don't believe the front is replaceable as it is staked in from below.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:05 am

Nice pick up you will like that... Staked front sights are replaceable they just take more effort...

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:28 am

I like both the Ruger SR and the XD pistols. Looks like the RIA turned out to be a winner. I know several folks who have one and give positive reviews. If you want to replace sights, Dawson precision has a pretty good selection.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:05 am

The front sight is replaceable but you would have to have the new one properly staked in place. If you do not have the right tools, and most folks don't, staking on a new 1911 sight can be an exercise in futility. An improperly staked on sight will generally come loose and disappear in very quick time. Even worse if you're trying to add on tritium sights as the light tubes are very delicate and easy to damage in the installation process.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Bullseye wrote:The front sight is replaceable but you would have to have the new one properly staked in place. If you do not have the right tools, and most folks don't, staking on a new 1911 sight can be an exercise in futility. An improperly staked on sight will generally come loose and disappear in very quick time. Even worse if you're trying to add on tritium sights as the light tubes are very delicate and easy to damage in the installation process.

R,
Bullseye
Yep.

Have slide waiting for a roundtuit to look into having a dovetail cut. Wider range of sight options in dovetail.

I'm using the grip frame for a Kimber .22 conversion, which decreases the impetus to fix the slide.