My new LCR 357 at the range

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

My new LCR 357 at the range

Post by ruger22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 pm

At last, only 92 today, better than 102!

I only did 50 rounds, gotta watch the budget. At 40 cents a shot I can say that's the main thing I don't like about the LCR. I'm spoiled by the 3 cent a round .22......... :cry:

Me and the gun both did better than I expected. First shots were not too bad with the Tamer grip, but this will never be my favorite range gun!

The fixed sights were good on windage, but at seven yards I was shooting 4 inches low with 130 grain .38 FMJ. Twelve yards kept my groups centered in the black, using 25 yard slow-fire targets. I was surprised that I was doing 4 inch groups at 36 feet on the first outing.

Did the last half of the box with the boot grip. Felt recoil wasn't any worse, but control went down a bit. The smaller, smoother grip gave me more muzzle flip, but still not bad. I wouldn't recommend it for .357 rounds.

The rest of the visit was more fun, using up partial boxes of Mini Mags and Velocitor in my Bearcat. I left the targets at 36 feet, and was getting consistant 2 inch groups. Maybe I should figure out how to conceal carry a Bearcat?....... :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Center fire are more expensive to shoot, the reason I reload. In most all cases I can load a center fire for around $11/100 for 9mm, 38/357. with my 45 acp cost in the $16/100. About the only time I my new is if I'm needed more carry ammo.

If you reload you can also load them light to make it easier on your hand/grip. As you get comfortable with it you start bumping the loads up. But if your ever need to use it I dought you will ever notice the recoil.

You are actually did good for the first time out. Shooting snubies are not very comfortable if you shoot full house 357mag loads. Besides these guns are for up close and personal distances, Not BE shooting.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

I was well aware of the cost, before I bought. I don't think it's worth the initial investment for reloading, for one gun I may shoot 300 rounds a year. I really don't have a place I could put a bench, anyway.

The .22 LCR would have been shot a lot more, and been more enjoyable, but not a good choice for carry. My Bearcats are my best .22 range guns, better than a .22 LCR.

The four inch groups surprised me, but that was in the last few cylinders full. The first few were staying on the paper, at least. I don't think 4 inches at 36 feet is all that great, but adequate for a snub, I guess.

The 130 grain FMJs weren't bad shooting, and my carry ammo is 125 grain HP. I knew sticking with lighter bullets would reduce recoil. The LCR itself helps a lot. Even with the boot grip, it's pretty manageable shooting .38, and the sights are good.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Sounds like you had a good day. I think you did a pretty good job for first outing shooting. Although I've shot some reasonably good groups at 45' with my pocket SD guns, I don't think they are target guns. Consistent shooting in an area the size of a paper plate at 3-7 yards gets to where I believe the guns were designed.

I agree with Blue's comments on saving by reloading and can reload at comparable prices. I've never saved anything reloading because all savings go up in loud noises and smoke. :lol:

Sounds like a good buy

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:32 pm

4" at 12 yards ain't bad for a snubby, especially the first time out. more shooting will give better results, but how it shot for you sounds just fine to me.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 am

Four inches was being careful at the end of 50 rounds. Still surprised me, I thought I'd be all over the target.

I'm glad this LCR seems to be an easy shooter. I think most anyone with some handgun skill could pick one up for the first time and shoot well enough for a SD situation. That's great, because I can't afford a lot of practice with it.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Keep all your brass, you will be able to sell it and recoup some of your cost back. You can actually get a cheap SS Lee setup for around $100. I shoot over 5k rounds a year for it's a must for me to reload. Like Greener said all my savings are shot up other wise I would only be shooting 2k rounds a year.

You can get some pretty good buys on line if your willing to buy a case.

I can normally get 3" groups at 7 yrds when I shoot a snubby. My Kimber UCII almost falls in the snubby class since it only has a 3" barrel. Statically 95% of encounters will be 7yrds or less, so you will be fine. But the more you shoot it the better you will get..
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:11 am

I have noted that I can't always count upon being able to see the sights in 'iffy' situations where I might need my carry gun.

Lately I've been considering the 'point shooting' method. I believe I picked it up as a kid while reading Bill Jordan on developing a fast draw.

He would drape a piece of heavy canvas in his basement or whatever, hung about a foot from the wall and shoot wax bullets at a target there without using his sights. - Just pull and shoot, one round.

When you point-shoot, you don't have to spend that extra second or two to get the thing hauled up to eye level, and the sights lined up. If the gun is out of the holster and under control, it's ready to shoot.

You get the wax bullets by melting enough paraffin in a pan so that the wax will be about 1/2" deep when cooled. - Press an empty primed case down into the hardened wax, all of the way to the bottom, give it a twist, pull it out - and that case is loaded for wax bullet practice.

Just pull and shoot, just one round.

After you start hitting the target, try it from different positions, facing different directions, squatting down, sitting, while walking through the room, etc.. The wax bullets drop down from the canvas, and collect on the floor until you scoop them up to toss back into the pan for recycling.

It's cheap, and it gives you a valuable survival skill... - I'm seriously thinking about trying it out, again.

Point-shooting is most effective in poor lighting or when you are in a hurry, and does not advertise your location to everybody as a laser can do.

People often have difficulty identifying the direction of a single gunshot, and if you have practiced, chances are that a single round will do.

If nothing else, the shop that sells me primers will like the idea, no doubt about that. - I briefly worked on this some years ago.. You can recycle the wax indefinitely, it turns black pretty quickly but otherwise it appears to hold up well.

I also tried the Speer plastic bullet practice ammo once - but to be honest, it seems to me that the wax bullets are less trouble and work just as well.

All of that was 30 years ago though, I could use a refresher no doubt!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm

With my aging eyes I don't see the sights clearly, trifocals not in the right position. I learned to point shoot using a airsoft gun. Same model as my carry, had the same weight and controls were the same too. Now LaserLyte has these lasers for caliber specific. I have one for my 45acp, if slips in the barrel and works as a snap cap. It will blink the laser when the FP hits it. A lot cheaper than ammo when your learning on just want to practice some odd position. I like them for I can use then in the house. They run about $60 but still a lot cheaper than ammo. I did discover one position that shooting the laser was fine but live ammo hurt my wrist badly. The good news is I hit my target on the first shot and did not try it any more, so training did work. Speer also makes some plastic bullets that are driven with a primer. I have them for 38/357, 380/9mm. You can make a target with a pad to stop them and reuse them. This is what I used to teach my wife to shoot before we went to the range. Paid off for she shot the little 380 good.
David

Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm

I developed a little point shooting with my Bearcats, which seem good for it. It didn't work so well with Beretta Bobcats. Maybe if I was being attacked by a barn door...... :D

I think a lot depends on the gun's shape, the grips, and the size of the shooter's hand.

The LCR could stand a colored front sight. Ruger's website has Hi-Viz and Novak fiber optic blades, the Novak looks a lot sturdier. I don't need the pricey Tritium, just a contrast color. I may just use some red or white paint.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Some guns naturally point in your hand. It all depend on the grip angle and your hand. The ones that naturally point you will shot the best right out of the box. The other take a little adjusting time for point shooting. My best pointer is my BHP. Everyone who shoots it are amazed as how well it shoots. For me I think the wider rear blade helps with my aging eyes. It actually gives me a gap I can see.

Then again Lasers make point shooting easy. Dot marks the spot.....
David

Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:35 pm

blue68f100 wrote:With my aging eyes I don't see the sights clearly, trifocals not in the right position. I learned to point shoot using a airsoft gun. Same model as my carry, had the same weight and controls were the same too. Now LaserLyte has these lasers for caliber specific. I have one for my 45acp, if slips in the barrel and works as a snap cap. It will blink the laser when the FP hits it. A lot cheaper than ammo when your learning on just want to practice some odd position. I like them for I can use then in the house. They run about $60 but still a lot cheaper than ammo. I did discover one position that shooting the laser was fine but live ammo hurt my wrist badly. The good news is I hit my target on the first shot and did not try it any more, so training did work. Speer also makes some plastic bullets that are driven with a primer. I have them for 38/357, 380/9mm. You can make a target with a pad to stop them and reuse them. This is what I used to teach my wife to shoot before we went to the range. Paid off for she shot the little 380 good.
With those you could turn your garage into a shooting range

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm

ruger22 wrote:I developed a little point shooting with my Bearcats, which seem good for it. It didn't work so well with Beretta Bobcats. Maybe if I was being attacked by a barn door...... :D

I think a lot depends on the gun's shape, the grips, and the size of the shooter's hand.

The LCR could stand a colored front sight. Ruger's website has Hi-Viz and Novak fiber optic blades, the Novak looks a lot sturdier. I don't need the pricey Tritium, just a contrast color. I may just use some red or white paint.
Model airplane paint or finger nail paint would make the front sight more visible. I shoot the short barreled revolvers at distances greater than defensive and look groups. However, I think these are made for short-range point shooting. Oldman has been pretty adamant about that