Bobcat 25acp

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Bobcat 25acp

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Been thinking about getting a Beretta Bobcat in 25acp to compliment my Bobcat 22lr. Does anybody have one to opinionate on? At 11.5 oz it makes an attractive carry hg. My 22lr Bobcat is so easy to carry/conceal.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Bobcat 25acp

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Hakaman wrote:Been thinking about getting a Beretta Bobcat in 25acp to compliment my Bobcat 22lr. Does anybody have one to opinionate on? At 11.5 oz it makes an attractive carry hg. My 22lr Bobcat is so easy to carry/conceal.
Haka
Take that South of 8 Mile and they will laugh at you Haka.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:37 pm

hmmm 25acp..... they literally won't know what hit them! thats the one of the only calibers i would choose 22lr over for SD..... but if you want it for a "second kind of cool" (because you like it) that is awesome.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Bobcat 25acp

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:58 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Take that South of 8 Mile and they will laugh at you Haka.
bgreenea3 thats the one of the only calibers i would choose 22lr over for SD
Hmmmm? it doesn't really impress you two, and I do trust both your opinions,
I just thought it might be a smidge more reliable then the 22lr.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:57 am

I do believe he 25 generates less foot pounds of energy than a 22lr.....

now if i wanted to make an ultra small centerfire gun i would make it on the 25 just because its the smallest..... think a smaller version of the keltec p32 their 32acp super tiny gun.... that would be a cool bit of engineering....

-John Wayne

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 am

I personally tested a friend's .25 against a .22 using both Long Rifle and Stingers using filled gallon water bottles and scrap 2 x 4s.

The .22 produced better results (read more damage/penetration) each time.

I did not even consider using the .22 mags for testing after that.

Unless the .25 was an historical find used by some old west madam or something, I would not even give one a second look.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks for your inputs, it was informative. My intent was to get a very small hg(weight especially) with the best performing bullet, something that has been going on for ages, I imagine. I really like my bobcat in 22lr, and generally it is very reliable with my tested ammunition. I like carrying it on walks around the neighborhood where the threat is not from people, but from careless dog owners. Although, one must consider shooting a dog as 'taboo' as shooting a person in SD.
H

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:27 pm

I understand that the .25 Bobcat will come a lot closer to 100% reliable than the .22LR.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Hakaman wrote: I like carrying it on walks around the neighborhood where the threat is not from people, but from careless dog owners. Although, one must consider shooting a dog as 'taboo' as shooting a person in SD.
H
I leave advice on dog shooting to those with experience and expertise, but I don't think either .25 or .22 would be all that good. A water pistol with household ammonia would probably do better, or a bigger, hotter caliber. Rumor has it that even those may not work too well on some dogs.

.22 mag would seem to be the better choice,but they don't make the Bobcat in mag, do they? .25 ACP might be a different shooter and a great conversation piece.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 pm

My wife carried a 25 caliber Beretta single-action for some years and got good service from that gun.

It never jammed, and she used it on several occasions to turn the tables on folks who thought that they were going to terrorize her.

She would whip it out on some occasions so that we would have something to plink with, too.

I never carried it myself, but I could tell by looking at it that it would be a great vest pocket gun. I have owned the double-action model in .22lr, and the single-action models in .25acp are smaller, thinner through the grip frame and more rounded off at the bottom of the grip.

If I had to choose between them, I would probably choose both. The .22 is a better plinker and probably more accurate - but the single-action .25 is slicker, and more compact.

Both are great guns.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Hmmm a poodle shooter is what you are looking for....... If nothing else the pop of the 25 might scare a doggie away....... Of course the pitbull I shot with an ar15(it was attacking people at a campground) wasn't that impressed with the noise. When he came back out of the underbrush, he got two more in 40 and ran off into the woods. He didn't make it too far in before he went down.

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Bgreener, are you saying that the pitbull you shot 3 times and it still took him
a spell to keel over?

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm

A big, angry dog takes some stopping power.

He should have used the technique an Indiana State trooper used. He didn't want to put down an injured dog in a parking lot by shooting him, so he backed the patrol car over the dog. Didn't kill the dog, so he went forward, then back. The State Police switchboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm

LOL :)

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

yes 3 shots....... when shooting an ar at close range remember that POA does not equal POI . the round will go about 2-3" low from 0-25yards out.

a 223 to the shoulder/chest just makes pitts angry. a 40 between the eyes makes them howl and one to the back of the head takes care of the rest...... he was a big boy though.....

-John Wayne