Am I crazy?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:47 am

blue68f100 wrote:Your not the only one that can not warm up to the Tupperware guns.
All of mine are steel, SS, and/or Al frame. :wink:
I'll agree. I'm a metal and wood guy, too. I don't even like the peg mount rubber grips on Rugers.

In some cases, I can see a serious need for the lighter weight of some plastic guns. But most of the time the weight reduction is not that significant over an all metal gun.

I think most of the time it is hype foisted on us, that we have to buy the "latest and greatest". The plastic is cheaper and faster to produce compared to metal, giving the makers higher profit margins.

I'm still waiting foir Ruger to make a traditional .22 DA/SA revolver in stainless, fixed sights, and wood panel grips. They never have, and apparently never will....... I may eventually buy a Taurus 94 myself.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Jack, I think you're crazy :D I'd hang on to it for all the reasons already given. Also, you may not know what the sentimental value is to you, if you sold it you might come to realize it meant more to you than you thought.

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 pm

I wouldnt get rid of anything......Ive had some nice guns in the past Ive let go because ....I had to sell it to get the next one that I wanted.....I wish I had all them back.....as for the LCR...dont think I would mess with it myself.....get the sp101 in a 3'' barrel.....load it with 38+P's ....a .38+P will handle self defense....I have a S&W 65-5 I carry at times ....I load it with speer gold dot 135 gr short barrels ...in .38+P and .357 mag.....those .357 aint bad and they past the FBI test.....full blown 158gr mags out of any small gun are just to much to control....just m .02..........keith

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:34 pm

keithj wrote:....get the sp101 in a 3'' barrel.....load it with 38+P's ....a .38+P will handle self defense....I have a S&W 65-5 I carry at times ....I load it with speer gold dot 135 gr short barrels ...in .38+P
I already have the SP101 with 3" barrel and it is loaded with Speer Gold Dots in .38 +P (as is the 36)

The S&W 36 in question. With CTC grips

:) :)

I'm thinking now that I will get a second set of dies for my Lee Turret so I don't have to readjust everything to load .38's.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue May 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, it's been several months and a lot of thought later and the verdict is in. Yes, indeed, I am crazy. I traded two handguns for two handguns. The S&W .38 spl. is gone as is my Ruger MkIII 22/45. In their place is one new Ruger SR22P and an older (but nice) Taurus PT22 (both with accessories). I have tested both with about 300 rounds apiece and the Ruger fired them flawlessly. The Taurus had three FTF's, but only with Winchester XPert HP's that had a flat nose. And only three of those out of 100 or so rounds. All in all, I fired four different brands of ammo and the Ruger ate 'em all. The Taurus almost.

I'm crazy, but pleased with the outcome.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Interesting swap outs to say the least. The Ruger reminds me of my Sig Mosquito, which can sometimes be picky on ammo. Lately though, I have been pleased with how it's been shooting. It has good use for concealed carry practice, similar to our clubs training, being able to shoot semi-auto with 22lr ammo(inexpensive). The Taurus reminds me of my Beretta Bobcat, which also can be picky on ammo. In the summer time, it is a great concealed carry pistol, but I choose proven ammo when I do carry it.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Hakaman wrote:Interesting swap outs to say the least. The Ruger reminds me of my Sig Mosquito, which can sometimes be picky on ammo. Lately though, I have been pleased with how it's been shooting. It has good use for concealed carry practice, similar to our clubs training, being able to shoot semi-auto with 22lr ammo(inexpensive). The Taurus reminds me of my Beretta Bobcat, which also can be picky on ammo. In the summer time, it is a great concealed carry pistol, but I choose proven ammo when I do carry it.
Probably not one that many would make (the swaps), but the .38 was rarely fired. Not at all comfortable. Made my trigger finger sore and thumb, too if I fired much single action. I really like my MkII 22.45, but it only worked well with Mini Mags. I fired both the SR22 and the Taurus PT22 with several brands of ammo and they both ate them flawlessly. After the swap, I've fired over 600 rounds about half in each and didn't have any problems until I switch ed to the Winchester XPert HP's. They have a flat nose and it FTF ~ three times in the Taurus. Neither had been cleaned during this shooting session. Next day, I put another 100 rounds through each, still uncleaned and no failures of any kind. That's certainly better then the 22/45. Both carry well, but the Taurus has the edge there. It is a Beretta clone, minus the hammer spur. Double action only.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser