Am I crazy?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Am I crazy?

Post by Jack D » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:29 pm

I am considering selling my S&W mod. 36 flat latch and buying a LCR in .357. My reasoning? I have a .357 rifle and SP101 in .357 and I load .38's and .357's. It would be much easier if I simplified by having one caliber to load for (.357) so I wouldn't have to readjust dies, separate cases, adjust powder charges, etc. Then all of my cartridges would fit all three weapons. The LCR would be easier to carry and that is also a consideration.

But that is a S&W in VG condition with flat latch and original diamond grips. It belonged to my dad, passed on to me, but rarely used by him and has no special memories attached to it.

Would you do it?
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:33 pm

You can't "un-sell" a firearm once its gone. I'd find a way to get the other without sacrificing a heirloom. It may not have any special memories but it was once your father's gun.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:47 pm

I agree with Bullseye, to me it doesn't seem worth the chance of regretting getting rid of it. Just the fact that you posted on here to get opinions, means your unsure. If it was me, I would keep it, I constantly here people talk about guns they wish they would have never sold. I can understand though, wanting to have the same load for each gun, that would be pretty cool.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:15 pm

If you want one load in all your guns you could just load 38spl and be just fine without selling or buying anything..... I wouldn't sell dad's revolver, even if I didn't want it my kids might when they get older. Food for thought.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:07 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:If you want one load in all your guns you could just load 38spl and be just fine without selling or buying anything..... I wouldn't sell dad's revolver, even if I didn't want it my kids might when they get older. Food for thought.
Y would keep it also, got 2 .38/.357's and 1 .38+P, but shoot .38 loads in all of them, besides that I rarely ever sell a gun. Buy a .38=
p hammerless J frame for a carry gun and all will be well. What we need on this is the Big Greeners opinion, pretty much know what that is, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:28 pm

BAOM,
Greener got hooked into guns/reoading by me.... I would buy the new gun and keep the old one, you can never have too many....

-John Wayne

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:BAOM,
Greener got hooked into guns/reoading by me.... I would buy the new gun and keep the old one, you can never have too many....
Did not even know there was such a rhing as too many guns.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks all, for the insite.

The mod. 36 was given to my dad in leau of wages (the guy was broke) along with a Winchester clone. He didn't want it or need it and he only fired a half box through it. He gave it, and the .30/30 to me, mostly to get them out of the house. His health was bad and he had no place to shoot them nearby. I guess that's why it has no special meaning to me. No memories. Neither of my sons are very interested in it either. They both have LCR's.

I'm mostly wondering if I'm crazy for wanting a LCR in its place. I've fired my sons LCR in .357 and, although I wouldn't want to do it often, It was something I can handle. Even the SP101 is a handful in full magnum loads. I keep both loaded with Speer .38's (Gold Dot?) for personal protection.

I prefer to use .357 brass in the .357's to avoid the ring in the chambers and that forces me to load both .38's and .357's in my preferred target loads and that means changing the dies back and forth.....I suppose I could buy another set of dies, but a different gun would be better.....no worries about mixing the ammo. The only other guns I have left are both Ruger .22's.

I doubt I could get enough to buy a S&W, but perhaps a LCR (with laser)? I'm wondering if the LCR will hold up to thousands of rounds like a S&W will????
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I do the same with my 44mag..... I load them to 44spl velocities in mag brass....(trail boss is great for this) the spl's are pure fun to shoot

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:22 pm

If it has "sentimental value" attached to it, I probably wouldn't sell it. If not, sell it. Maybe the best thing to do is keep the 36 and ALSO buy the the LCR. You can always sell the 36 anytime. If it is for money to buy the LCR, well, that's a tough decision you have to make. Right now I am considering selling a gun or two because I don't shoot it that much, and I want to buy a different style in it's place. Funny thing is I once had a gun sold on gunbroker, then changed my mind because I started missing it too much. Luckily the buyer understood and agreed to let me keep it. Point is, as the song goes, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone"!
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am

I would keep the 36. You say you load both .357 and .38 anyway, so changing the dies isn't too much is it? Just load the .38 brass in some quantity so you don't need to do it more than once or twice a year.

I'll repeat the above advice, you can't un-sell a gun. Even if it has no memories, it's a quality gun in nice condition.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:00 pm

The general concensus is....yes. I'm crazy. Guess I'll hang on to the S&W 36. Just wish it were a .357. It would certainly simplify things. I'm a fan of KISS.
You say you load both .357 and .38 anyway
I wouldn't if I didn't have a .38 spl. :)
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:05 pm

You're not crazy.

I only get to the range ten times a year, at best, yet I own seven guns. Why do I need seven guns? Each only gets shot 3-4 times a year.

I just can't part with any of the Rugers, and my Bobcats are my CCW until I find better.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks. I needed that.

Both of my sons have the LCR's. One in .38 spl and the other .357 mag. I've fired both of them and although they are OK. Nice and light. I just can't get used to the plastic feeling. I like cold hard steel. And that is as much a consideration as any other. No offense intended toward the modern plastics.....I'm just used to the feel of steel in my guns and the LCR feels like a toy in my hands. I wouldn't turn one away in .357 but if I had my drothers I'd take a "J" frame S&W in .357 over an LCR. Just can't afford the price of a S&W. Wouldn't have this one if it weren't given to me.

The only reason I even considered the change is that I believe I can get enough for the 36 to get an LCR.......but doubt I could get enough for a S&W "J" in .357. I haven't looked at any others.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Your not the only one that can not warm up to the Tupperware guns. I do not own one either. I can't sand the feel of the Glocks, I don't know who's hand they used but it sure was not mine.

All of mine are steel, SS, and/or Al frame. :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911