my first handgun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

M60FMJ

my first handgun

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 am

I just turned 21 2 months ago and am looking to get a handgun here soon, but i am a broke redneck and need a affordable one anyone got any ideas on the type and caliber? i want a handcannon btw
dropped on request 1/7/12

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am

Looked into the Alaskan model of Ruger's Redhawk? In .44 mag or .454 Casull. Best "hand cannon" I know of. None of them will be cheap.

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedh ... odels.html
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

M60FMJ

Post by M60FMJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am

well i didnt want a revolver, i awant a autoloader something like a highpoint 45.
dropped on request 1/7/12

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:35 pm

M60, you question is a little vague. What do you intend on using it for?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Based on the phrasing of your question, all I can glean is that you might just like a cheap noisemaker, in which case I don't think any one here could offer you advice :oops:

I agree with Haka, we would need specifics of the intended use for the pistol. Do you intend on competing with it at all, do you want something that's got a lot of aftermarket parts, these are things that we would need to know.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

if you want a gun that is over heavy, cheap, has a horrible trigger, aned brick like ergonomics, the highpoint is touugh to beat. my brother in law bought a hi point 380 as his first semi auto about 10 years ago... it shot well enough, accuracy was decent, but it was waaaay to big and heavy for wht it was. I used to think they would blow up in your face due to the chaepness.... but I found this series of videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXm ... 7PDBPfKV4s
that changed my mind....

I think you would be better off for a cheapie first handgun with a smith and wesson sigma or SD 9mm
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Taurus Millenium Pro. Going around here for $320. Pretty good feel. Also, some of the Phillipine 1911's go at a reasonable price.

The trouble with having a handcannon comes in feeding them if you shoot a lot. 9mm handguns aren't quite as expensive to feed.

For a first handgun I like .22's such as a Ruger or S&W22A. Accurate shooters and inexpensive to shoot. Of course I like .22's and always carry at least one to the range. Usually 3 or more.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:if you want a gun that is over heavy, cheap, has a horrible trigger, aned brick like ergonomics, the highpoint is touugh to beat. my brother in law bought a hi point 380 as his first semi auto about 10 years ago... it shot well enough, accuracy was decent, but it was waaaay to big and heavy for wht it was. I used to think they would blow up in your face due to the chaepness.... but I found this series of videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXm ... 7PDBPfKV4s
that changed my mind....

I think you would be better off for a cheapie first handgun with a smith and wesson sigma or SD 9mm
The Hi-Point .45 I fired some years ago fired every time and did the one-ragged-hole thing at 17 yards. Not a bad shooter.

Their 9mm carbine was pretty good.

I never could convince myself I wanted one. Might be a good, cheap, first pistol. bgreene, if you get one, I'll help you shoot it.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

greener wrote:Taurus Millenium Pro. Going around here for $320. Pretty good feel. Also, some of the Phillipine 1911's go at a reasonable price.

The trouble with having a handcannon comes in feeding them if you shoot a lot. 9mm handguns aren't quite as expensive to feed.

For a first handgun I like .22's such as a Ruger or S&W22A. Accurate shooters and inexpensive to shoot. Of course I like .22's and always carry at least one to the range. Usually 3 or more.

I tend to agree.

A "hand cannon" will break the bank (and maybe the hand) in a hurry. I've owned several.

My favorite LGC has Remington UMC 9 mm ammo for $8.99 per box of 50 everyday. That's cheaper than shooting 22 mag. so I shoot A LOT of it. The 9 and .22 long rifle are the way to go for me. I also enjoy my .38s and .357 every now and then. I'm too old to prove anything with hand cannons anymore.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:53 pm

I hot a hi-point 45 once, it shot to point of aim and put the bullets where the sight were lined up.... not bad but way to bulky for what it is. the hi-point carbines are very cool, and work great frm what I fear.

Greener, I have no plans on buyng a hi-point pistol. bt i wouldn't turn one down if it was guven to me. :wink:
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 am

m60,
FWIW take heed of Greener's advice on getting a 22 first. I would suggest the same for the following reasons.

1. It will take 20-50,000 rounds down the bore to become a better than average pistol shot. Take the price of good 22 bulk ammo and compare it to the price of the cheapest 9mm round available and you quickly find out you can shoot over 5 times as much for the same $$.
2. A 22 will give you the same feedback on your shooting skill set as a larger caliber. It will teach you sight alignment and trigger control, if you are open to learning.
3. A 22 can be shot in virtually any indoor or outdoor range.
4. A good 22 (note I did not say expensive) is inherently far more accurate than a larger bore even costing 2-3 times as much. Most of the firearm suggestions you will get from this forum will shoot far better than you will EVER be capable to shoot them, this statement is not meant as a slam, they are just that accurate.
5. While not stroking the inherent need for recoil and noise, the 22 will teach you without breaking you. (yes I was 21 once too, and my first handgun was a Ruger 45 Colt so I've made most of the mistakes I'm cautioning you against).

I would encourage you to start with the 22 for about a year, maybe less depending on your learning curve and how much exposure you will have to good shooters. When you're on the range and seeing someone tearing the centers out of the black, ask him/her to critique you and give you some advice. There are no deep dark secrets on how to shoot a handgun well. All the basic information you will ever need is available on the internet if you are open to it. There is a wealth of information on this forum should you care to ask. Don't be hesitant to ask! There is no such thing as a dumb question, the only reason someone can answer it is because they asked the same question before you did.

If there is an active Bullseye shooter/league in your area, I would strongly encourage you to seek them out. If you can learn to control your trigger, shooting Bullseye, you can use that skill to transition to any other shooting discipline and do very well, the reverse is not true without having to unlearn a lot. You are now a blank slate as a pistol shooter. You can either fill your slate with good solid proven techniques or you can do what I did and learn the long and expensive way.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm

This is my carry gun 90% of the time, Kahr PM9. It is very reliable and fits me well.
Nice trigger and well made. It comes in various calibers, 9mm, 40, 45acp.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Deeeeetroit with a locked gun, not a good idea.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Deeeeetroit with a locked gun, not a good idea.
Like Barney Fife, it's the only way I don't shoot myself in the foot.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:33 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Deeeeetroit with a locked gun, not a good idea.
Nope. I think that's a good idea, especially if you keep the keys somewhere else. That way, if the bad guys jump you, they won't be able to use the gun against you. :lol:

I like the Kahr, Haka. Not sure I really like the lock.