LC9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 am

Try aphone call.... Usually works better
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:00 am

Give it some time, they got a pretty good backlog going in the shop right now. Piasashooter just heard from a Ruger Tech yesterday after emailing them last week about his frame hole problem. The CS reps are going to make everything sound "rosy" that's their job when dealing with the customers. Call or email asking to speak with a repair tech and they'll get back with you. Just leave them a good daytime contact number and they'll call once they get enough time.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:03 am

So far Ruger's CS is behind Taurus.
Wow, and all the bad things I hear about Taurus?

greener

Post by greener » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:14 pm

After being away for about a week, I emailed Ruger one more time and got the air bill by email. So, I'm making progress.

Ruger's process is respond to an email by requesting (for me not very clearly) information, then emailing the shipping instructions. Seems clumsy. They have yet to respond to my phone call.

S&W immediately responds with the airbill information. No series of emails like Ruger.

Taurus is pretty much like S&W. Quick, no fuss.

Henry, the owner emails you and wants your shipping address to send you the part.

I guess I'll see how fast Ruger fixes the problem and returns the pistol.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 pm

About a year ago I Had a problem chambering some brands of ammo in a Green Mountain 20 inch blued fluted sporter barrel. Talked to Dennis Paladino at GM and he told me to check a couple of things and get back to him. I called him back and gave him the info and he started to send it back and the would see that it was taken care of. Hardly hung up the phone and there was a FedEx shipping sticker attached to an e mail from him, GM takes care of their customer and quickly.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Finally got the LC9 to UPS for it's pilgrimage to Arizona on Wednesday.

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am

Yo Greener - I have an LC9 and it has functioned 100% for 800+ rounds but have read about the metal shavings in many LC9s. Sorry you are having problems with yours. Seems I read a post where the firing pin hole had some sharp edges thus causing the shavings that muck up the travel of the firing pin. IIRC, the OP chamfered the opening and fixed the problem.

Hope Mother Ruger returns your LC9 PDQ...
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Post #24 has an interesting solution based on the firing pin hole being sharp.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/399 ... y-fix.html

Be interesting to see what Ruger does.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 am

Reading that thread reminded me of some those old TV show cliff-hangers "Stay tuned, same time, same channel and find out if our hero makes it out alive!" Jeez, guy just write the thing and cut the drama!

I could see where softening the edge of the firing pin hole on the breech face could reduce brass shavings in the firing pin recess. That sharp edge would scrape along the bottom of the cartridge as it is forced into the chamber causing the shavings. I don't remember you mentioning the shavings in your LC9 pistol were made of brass, just metal. I was not making the connection as to the source of the shavings until I read that thread. For some reason I thought the firing pin was shaving inside the action. I'll be curious to hear what the solution from the factory was on your pistol. If you still experience this at least you have an idea how to remedy the problem.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 am

I wouldn't have described the metal shavings I saw as brass. They had no discernible yellow.

He does seem to like to write.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:03 am

That would explain it, there may not be a correlation to that problem and yours if the firing pinhole was not shaving metal off the cases.

R,
Bullseye

OpsMgr
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by OpsMgr » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 am

Bullseye wrote:Reading that thread reminded me of some those old TV show cliff-hangers "Stay tuned, same time, same channel and find out if our hero makes it out alive!" Jeez, guy just write the thing and cut the drama!...................................................

R,
Bullseye
That is the thread - Sorry I didn't warn you guys about the silly drama of the OP's writing style...
The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't think a magnet would attract brass. I don't think the firing pin is made of stainless, is it?
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 pm

In general stainless is not magnetic. However, some are.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 am

greener wrote:In general stainless is not magnetic. However, some are.
If I remember correctly from my ole "working" days the type 400 s/s alloys are slightly magnetic and the type 300's are not at.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.