Python Value

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Python Value

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm think of selling my Colt Custom 6" Ni Python. I'm the original owner of this gun purchased new in 1977. I have the original box, test bullet, and papers with the exception of the factory target. The custom work from Colt included trigger work (like glass, 4.5#DA) and adj sights. This has the best trigger of ANY gun I have ever shot. And normally when people shoot it their eyes just lite up because they have never shoot a gun with this good of trigger. I would rate this gun at 95-98%, it's not a safe queen. The only marking on it is a scuff on the bottom of the wood grips. I have mainly shot Lead SWC through the gun with a cylinder of std jacket after every shooting. I will need to take some new photos of it to post.

On Gunbroker I have never found a Ni finish like mine. The Blue ones have been listed for over $4k.

David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Pardon my slack-jawed, drooley stare. Pretty revolver. It would be hard to part with.

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sat May 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Folks seem to always ask way more than there worth IMO..
They are one of the nicest made revolvers ever made but come on over $4000 for a blued one??
The secret to the Python & the Colt Dick Special is the extra finger that holds the cylinder steady & tight as the trigger is pulled..
The trigger, hammer, ratchet etc were hand fit on all of these..

That is one nice looking revolver you have there..
Good luck!!
Times are hard out here in the real world..

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:47 pm

I was shocked when I saw it listed for that price too. But I think it actually sold which is surprising. I think it was a safe queen that was unfired. I shoot all my guns. I did not buy them to just look at, you can look a whole lot cheaper. It's not a gun that you want to carry. it's the reason it stored in the sheep skin bag.

I don't shot mine hardly once a year any more. No one in my family is interested in guns so it's just me.

Currently I'm trying to find someone who can give me an accurate appraisal.

Greener, Thanks for the compliments. It's was the 2nd handgun I ever bought. And Colt had to 6 mo wait list to get a hold of one. Had to put a deposit down and wait for it to be finished.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Sounds like this gun is very hard for you to let go. If it absolutely has to go, I'll wish you the best possible price and wonders done with the money.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat May 14, 2011 11:36 pm

I'll trade you my 686 for it, and won't ask for any extra money !

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun May 15, 2011 7:48 am

Hakaman wrote:I'll trade you my 686 for it, and won't ask for any extra money !
Haka, you are a very generous and thoughtful person to offer to do that, what a sacrifice.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 am

Haka, you are a very generous and thoughtful person to offer to do that, what a sacrifice.
Thank you old man, it's the least I could do.

Seriously, that is one of the most beautiful revolvers I have ever seen. I think you could get a lot of money for that baby. Some collector would pay blue a fortune. I would start my "asking price" very high.
Haka

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun May 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Around this area the blued 6" Python with all the trimmings is going for around $1,200 to $1,500. True collectors that have never been fired except at factory and have no turn line will bring about $1,800 and up. I have never seen one with Colt Guard go for more than $2,500..

I researched this pretty good here on the central east coast of Florida as I have a 1978 Python and was wondering what it might be worth.

Image :)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 pm

The auction sites seam to have quite a few of the blue ones. The going rate seams to be like you posted, $1200-$1800 on the high end. The Ni finish seams to be more scarce.

Nice looking Python, but I'm a little bias :D

I just like the lines the Vent rib barrels gives them.

I'm planing on shooting mine Tuesday, which means I will have a 2hr cleaning time. This is the only negative of the Ni finish, powder residue show up every where.
David

Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon May 16, 2011 7:47 pm

I get mine out about 4 times a year but I don't shoot anything more than a few .38+P's through it and a few boxes of puff loads. I do have the sales ticket and the little four way screw driver for it but that's all. Box and papers are long gone. Still as accurate as the day I got it and it's box stock. :)