Want to buy a 357 snubnose, any suggestions?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:24 am

As much as I like the ruger sp-101's I dont own one as I have a 65-5 k frame 3 inch heavy barrel love it....the action is as silk carrys nicely and will handle the .357 mags that I like to carry the speer gold dot 135gr short barrels..........I must say if I didnt have this gun I would have a 3inch 101........there's just something about a k-frame that does it for me and the 65-5 is a awsome carry the 3 incher is alittle hard to find but they are out there......

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Fired an SP101 for the first time this weekend. Nice shooter. I can now see why people like them.

I have a 4" M65. The action is better than my 686. I need to do more with it than leave it around with .357 125gr JHP's.

The Colt Lawman with a 2" barrel is a nice snubbie if you can find one.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:32 pm

The Ruger is a nice looking gun. I don't have a .357 right now, and will take a good look at the SP101, next time I get a chance.

I've owned lots of .357's. My favorites so far were a S&W model 27, a S&W 686 Target version with 6" barrel and adjustable front sight, a T/C Contender 10" .357 bull barrel with a 2X scope, and a Dan Wesson with a variety of barrels and shrouds.

All good shooters. If they make a 4" SP101 with adjustable sights and a round butt, that might work out well for me. - Something nice to carry, and nice to shoot, too.

Lightweight revolvers shooting hot loads will bite your hand. If you do not want to shoot hot loads, a .38 special won't kick so much. If you intend to shoot real .357 loads with a short barrel though, a little extra heft on the frame will do no harm. In fact, it could make you better at shooting those full-house .357 loads out of that snubbie - and that could save your life, some day.

I am used to 6" or longer barrels, so for a 4" gun I am considering, the SP-101 has a certain appeal and lot of that is in the sturdy frame that will help soak up recoil, and steady my aim.

Definitely a good choice for the truly snubbie barrel lengths like 2 1/4".

greener

Post by greener » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Lightweight revolvers shooting hot loads will bite your hand. If you do not want to shoot hot loads, a .38 special won't kick so much. If you intend to shoot real .357 loads with a short barrel though, a little extra heft on the frame will do no harm. In fact, it could make you better at shooting those full-house .357 loads out of that snubbie - and that could save your life, some day.
Lightweight, small revolvers, IMO, are not for shooting pleasure. I shoot my 442 just enough to stay reasonably proficient. The full size revolvers are more fun shooting.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 am

greener wrote:
Lightweight, small revolvers, IMO, are not for shooting pleasure. I shoot my 442 just enough to stay reasonably proficient. The full size revolvers are more fun shooting.
They are not target guns and were never meant to be. I shoot my 442 in .38Plus P with regular .38 loads quite often, maybe a cylinder full a week. It is not an stand there aim ans shoot guns Mr BG will not just stand there and wait for you to whack him. It is a point and shoot a quick double tap a 5 to 4 yard and if you can hit 10 to 12 inch square every time that should get the job done,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:
They are not target guns and were never meant to be. I shoot my 442 in .38Plus P with regular .38 loads quite often, maybe a cylinder full a week. It is not an stand there aim ans shoot guns Mr BG will not just stand there and wait for you to whack him. It is a point and shoot a quick double tap a 5 to 4 yard and if you can hit 10 to 12 inch square every time that should get the job done,
Sounds about right. If I want to shoot .38/.357 for fun, I'll do it with a GP100, 686, M65, M19 and so on. The airweight is strictly for business.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:42 pm

greener wrote:
Sounds about right. If I want to shoot .38/.357 for fun, I'll do it with a GP100, 686, M65, M19 and so on. The airweight is strictly for business.
Got to agree with you my friend, my fun shooters and usually only in .389 and some light loads on top of that, my 50TN Anny Blackhawk and my Marlin 1894C. That lever gun is a real fun shooter, it gets a lot of use lately.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:21 pm

I think we suffered some "thread drift," but that's ok. Junior, I just bought a Ruger SP101 in .357 mag, and I love it. I've never been keen on .357 out of any size barrels, unless it comes with wheels. The recoil and the back blast and splatter just take the fun out of it for me. Thirty-eights on the other hand make for quite an enjoyable shooting session. I might be wrong about this, but I think the the .38 spl will put an opponent down. You made a good choice. TJ

jimjc

Post by jimjc » Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm

My suggestion would be rent one of the small light guns and shoot 357`s before you buy....See if you can hit anything....They are punishing.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Rent or borrow one from a friend you know has a model that you're interested in. Many folks are more than willing to allow you to try out one of their firearms during a common range session.

R,
Bullseye