Want to buy a 357 snubnose, any suggestions?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

juniour

Want to buy a 357 snubnose, any suggestions?

Post by juniour » Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 am

I'm wanting to get a 357 snubnose. i've been looking around on the internet and I like the looks of the Ruger SP101 2-1/4" barrel. I found New ones for about $465 includeing shipping.That sound like a good price? Are these decent guns? I mainly want it for it's small carry size and I have the stuff to reload 357/38. What you think?
Juniour

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm

they are quite nice.... a little bigger that the smith and wesson j-frame but good none the less
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon May 02, 2011 12:16 pm

SP101 = 5 rds @ 26 oz
LCR = 5 rds @ 17 oz
S&W(442) 5 rds @ 15 oz (38+, I don't think mag is necessary, especially in a snub nose) JMO?

If I were going to buy a snub nose, as much as I like the SP, I would go for the lighter versions.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

Hakaman wrote:SP101 = 5 rds @ 26 oz
LCR = 5 rds @ 17 oz
S&W(442) 5 rds @ 15 oz (38+, I don't think mag is necessary, especially in a snub nose) JMO?

If I were going to buy a snub nose, as much as I like the SP, I would go for the lighter versions.
Haka
Go with and S&W "J" frame like the 442, one whole lot of LEO's can't be wrong.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

if you shoot .357 mag then the extra weight will be nice...

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm

if you shoot .357 mag then the extra weight will be nice...
I really don't know the right answer to this, but is 357 a little overkill when
38 +p is available ? (I'll depend on the LEO for the answer here)
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 pm

I'd take .357 mag over 38+p's......a little more ooomph

-John Wayne

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon May 02, 2011 10:51 pm

The wife has a SP101 and it is quite pleasant to shoot with .38 specials, but I don't like to shoot it one bit with .357 magnum rounds. It does not have the nice trigger pull of a S&W, but it's fine for a defensive gun.

Y

juniour

Post by juniour » Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I never really thought much of the wieght issue. But do recall seeing that some of the S&W had a titanium cylinder and some kind of alloy frames. I ended up buying a Ruger SP101 today locally. They had to order it and will have it in 3 days. Got it at the same price and feel good to give the local guy the bussiness. If I like the thing maybe later on I'll get Me one of them S&W with a little longer barrel. I'll report how I like it after get to shoot the thing. Now I need to find a good holster.
Juniour

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun May 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I carried one for about 1yr. They weigh more than the S&W J-frames that's for sure (27oz mty). Their weight does help to tame the .357 down a little but the .38+P is the way to go. I still have the C/T Laser I had on it for practice but the gun was traded in a deal to get the boss one she wanted. They are not that bad to carry with a IWB holster. :)

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon May 09, 2011 10:33 am

Even if the gun only shot 38+P, I think I would gladly sacrifice the power of not having the magnum capability
for the comfort of a lightweight gun. That's JMO , but I sometimes think the "self defense" issue is over blown,
and misunderstood. I think fluency and accuracy, along with being schooled on how to handle a gun efficiently
out weighs power any day of the week. I think a LEO has different needs than the civilian, and a magnum would be appropriate,
but for me, 38+ seems sufficient. For most people, a magnum might be a negative due to the fear factor the recoil presents.
Haka

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am

There has been some debate on the Ruger Forum about the SP-101 being changed. Guy bought a new one in a different barrel length than one he's owned a while. Back of trigger was hollow, solid on older gun.

Debate was whether or not hollow meant newer trigger was a MIM part, and whether that was an okay change from investment cast on older gun. Also speculation on whether other internal parts could now be MIM. One of those debates that may never end........ :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Hakaman wrote:Even if the gun only shot 38+P, I think I would gladly sacrifice the power of not having the magnum capability
for the comfort of a lightweight gun. That's JMO , but I sometimes think the "self defense" issue is over blown,
and misunderstood. I think fluency and accuracy, along with being schooled on how to handle a gun efficiently
out weighs power any day of the week. I think a LEO has different needs than the civilian, and a magnum would be appropriate,
but for me, 38+ seems sufficient. For most people, a magnum might be a negative due to the fear factor the recoil presents.
Haka
my opinion is carry the biggst stick that you can wack someone (or thing) with. that being said an all steel .357 like the sp101 shooting a magnum will feel like shooting a +p from a lightweight j frame, if all you can reliably shoot is a heavier gun with standard ammo and hit every time.... go with that! if you can handle the recoil and blast of the 357 mag out if a snub... even better!
I've shot the super light smith .357 mags and I DO not like them, Sam I Am! not in a boat not with a goat! of course your mileage might vary....

-John Wayne

greener

Post by greener » Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:Even if the gun only shot 38+P, I think I would gladly sacrifice the power of not having the magnum capability
Haka
my opinion is carry the biggst stick that you can wack someone (or thing) with. that being said an all steel .357 like the sp101 shooting a magnum will feel like shooting a +p from a lightweight j frame, if all you can reliably shoot is a heavier gun with standard ammo and hit every time.... go with that! if you can handle the recoil and blast of the 357 mag out if a snub... even better!
I've shot the super light smith .357 mags and I DO not like them, Sam I Am! not in a boat not with a goat! of course your mileage might vary....
Nate's? With hot loads. I remember shooting that one and hoping I had ibuprofen in the car, but I wasn't going to admit to him I was in pain. :lol:

My Colt Lawman has a 2" barrel on a full size frame. .357's are easier to shoot in the Colt than +P in the 442. I don't think recoil that you can handle is that big a deal in snubs used for SD. You aren't going to shoot that many or shoot it that often.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Forget the 357 magnum and just buy one of these:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW45.asp

Haka :wink: