Kahr PM9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Kahr PM9

Post by Georgezilla » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 pm

What do you guys think about this carry pistol over all? Any opinions on reliability, longevity, conceal-ability, design, and anything I may have forgotten?

The main thing I am concerned about is that I have read in a few different places that the polymer frame is "flimsy". If one is to carry a pistol for self defense, it should be shot often. Does this little pistol have the longevity to be shot that often and have thousands of put through it?

Thanks.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:52 pm

the Kahrs I've seen PM sreies and CW series have all been stout little pistols. Iwouldn't call them flimsy any nire than any other plastic gun
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I think that's what Jodie Foster carried in "The Brave One". It seemed to hold up to her wasting all those bad guys.... :shock:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 pm

The one I shot seem like it would do the job OK for up close and personal work. I fired some Cor-Bon in it and it had a pretty fair snap to it. :)

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Indeed, it is a very small and light weight pistol. I have seen a few videos of very experienced competition shooters firing them, and even in their hands the KM9 has a bit of muzzle flip. Though the recoil on the KM9 seems to be nothing compared to that of the KM40. In the videos I have seen, the recoil of the KM40 just seems uncontrollable; it looked like a 40S&W may just be too much to fire out of a 15 ounce pistol.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 am

A female cop i know carrries a CW40 off duty and shoots the raccoons out of the bird feeder with it, she doesn't have any problems with muzzle flip.... she is a farm girl though

-John Wayne

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 am

Tough lady! The CW40 is a little larger than the PM40 though, it weighs 2 more onces and has a "full" grip.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 am

hakaman has a pm9 I believe he likes it too

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:38 pm

What do you guys think about this carry pistol over all?
When I carry, that is the pistol I use. The Khar is a very solid gun, and as I have mentioned before, a very nice trigger.
I, personally, shoot it very well (in my terms anyway). I use a Galco pocket holster and unless you are trained to spot such guns,
I don't think many people would know it's on me.
Mind is a little older version then this:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P9-w-Night-Sights.asp
as you can see, it is a little pricey.
another option:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp
Haka

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, Haka. Do you own a PM9 or a P9? The one you linked is a P9.

Haka, how many rounds does your Kahr have through it? Has your pistol had any issues or quirks? Any complaints about the design of the pistol?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:30 am

Georgezilla wrote:Thanks for sharing, Haka. Do you own a PM9 or a P9? The one you linked is a P9.
Haka, how many rounds does your Kahr have through it? Has your pistol had any issues or quirks? Any complaints about the design of the pistol?
I probably have about 1000 rds thru it, give or take a 100, and it has been very reliable with nothing really negative to think of. It is the PM-9:
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-w-Night-Sights.asp (thanks for catching that, GZ ).
It's just a good solid sd gun, the only negative that comes to mind, if it is, is that it is a 6 or 7 + 1 capacity. But that's common with small guns.
Good luck with whatever you get, Haka

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I shot 100 rounds thru my Kahr this weekend: 50 rds of Zero Manf reloads, and 50 rds of my own "secret" reloads.
It shot all of them like a hot knife going thru butter. Smooth!
Haka

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the pistol, Haka.

I have done fairly extensive research on the PM9 and Kahrs in general. The only negative thing I have been able to confirm about Kahr pistols is regarding their black DLC pistols. Big time quality control issues with it. However, Kahr does not apply the coatings, they ship the parts to a 3rd party to apply the coating, so I suppose Kahr is only at fault for picking a poor company to apply the coatings.

wagon

Post by wagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am

I have a "basic" PM9 stainless with standard sight, it has been my EDC for about 2 years now, ~750 round so far it is 100% reliable and amazingly accurate for a pistol of this size. Trigger is buttery smooth; light, slim, all day comfort in a Mitch Rosen Clipper IWB.

I have always wanted to replace it with something else, but that something else never has come along... or .... there is no "something else" that can replace the size, weight, reliability.. and the "package" which PM9 offers: price, firepower and size.

The grip on PM9 is still too small to my medium hand, I have to add a Pearce grip extension to shoot comfortably. If I'd do it again I would go with a CW9 which my LGS is selling it for only $385 (vs ~$600 for a PM9 basic version).

Good luck shopping.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

i carry a SS MK9 daily. i wish the trigger was a little more glock-like instead of revolver-like. seems most issues i have seen, or read deal with the 40 cal versions. my buddy constantly has issue although i think its mag related.

mine seems to run like a glock. dirty and dry i know it will fire 13rds. since thats all i have on me. :lol:

i bought mine because its thin!