Once used brass and a blown up gun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

I submit a motion to this commitee on the English language then.

"Explodinate" shall be designated a word and "Brandish" shall be struck from the language due to decades of misuse.

Coach1, thanks for the updates, please do report on the response from the ammo "manufacturer".

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

bigfatdave wrote:I submit a motion to this commitee on the English language then.

"Explodinate" shall be designated a word and "Brandish" shall be struck from the language due to decades of misuse.

Coach1, thanks for the updates, please do report on the response from the ammo "manufacturer".
I agree with the use of the word explodinate and it's past tense, that damn gun explodinated in my hands!!!

It has been added to my spell check dictionary as of right now.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm

And "Explodify", to describe an intentional event.

Example:
"I loaded up that teddy bear with tannerite, backed off to 50 yards, and explodified it"
... or ...
"I was impressed at how well I was able to explodify that little propane cylinder"

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: What I can say for now

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Coach1 wrote:
* The reloads were bought from Sillman Cartridge at the NC Fairgrounds show. http://www.sillmancartridgecompany.com. They seem to be a repuyable NC based company. We will see what response we get at this weekend's show. They will have a booth there. We bought reloads and new factory ammo from Georgia Arms at prior shows and had No problems.
Yes, Do contact the mfg of the reloader. They all carry insurance and will cover all repair cost. A lot of times they just replace the gun complete, this way there is no hidden damage.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 pm

BFD - the Alumagrips should hold up fairly well under these circumstances. I can only speculate on that brand as I have not witnessed or examined a set of these after a case separation.

Coach- your next round in the magazine was struck by a piece of the blown out casing or by concussion of the hot gasses during the detonation. The extra rounds in the magazine are always susceptible to secondary detonation with a case separation event. This is where the grips blowing out and venting out the excess pressure is not a bad thing. This is a better alternative than having all those hot gasses and excessive pressure fed downward and directly into a magazine full of fresh cartridges. Of course, the shooter's hand must have adequate protection but the amount of force secondary detonations can cause could turn the whole pistol into a hand grenade.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Coach

I'm curious, as to if these rounds were loaded with lead bullets or jacketed.

Yleefox

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Wow You guys are frightening me.

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm

A grenade! Really? I am an admitted novice at pistol shooting.. and am having the best time - in a long time - for an old guy.. getting into the shooting sports. I guess I am just learning that being safe with handling the gun is important.. but it is not a no-risk sport. That said - I am staying with this!.. Just going to avoid gun show reloads.. at least for a while.

The 45 rounds were FMJ as I recall. I will check with my S-i-L to confirm. The mag blasted out of the frame.. and my assumption was that most of the gasses and bits went out with it. The next round (with the dented casing) did prompt a fleeting thought: "What if that one had a sympathetic detonation?" I have not posed that to John. But Bullseye's comments ring true.. it can happen.

He has not heard from Sig as yet. The LGS sent the whole gun to them on Tuesday. So, they likely just got it today. We will see the ammo vendor on Sunday. John's dad is visiting from Sydney and wants to go shooting with us on Saturday. Fun for the entire family!

BTW. I sent John this GTO URL and a recommendation... the Best Darn Gun Forum on the web! He talks with an accent but you avoid that with text :)
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

I have seen some pretty catastrophic gun incidents in my time. Guns blowing up is no light matter. In a few instances serious injuries have occurred and if not for the rapid application of first aid could have ended up quite differently.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:31 pm

thanks to newton's law if you did have a sympathetic detonation the case would most likely be the projectile since it os the lightest part of the round!
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Can I get an "out of battery" detonation with my S 686 or RBH revolver?
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

No, your revolver's cylinder is spaced (gapped within the frame) so the cartridge case is fully supported and only the case rim is exposed.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I like my revolvers, they have a lot going on about them as far as target shooting. With my two revolvers, I can shoot:
38sp
38sp +p
357 mag
45acp
45LC

ps... I don't have to pick up brass on the floor either.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Hakaman wrote:Can I get an "out of battery" detonation with my S 686 or RBH revolver?
Haka
yes but it requires a hammer and a large nail.........
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Can I get an "out of battery" detonation with my S 686 or RBH revolver?
Actually, that's one of the reasons I like revolvers.

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 am

Definition
ex·plod'·ify
Pronunciation: ik-splohd-ify

1. to expand grips, frame, and slide with force and noise because of bore obstruction or double charge, as opposed to poor cartridge support (e.g. Glock .40 Kaboom).

2. to burst, fly into pieces, or break up violently with a loud report, as a Sig with gun-show reloads.

3. to burst forth violently or emotionally, especially with pain, cursing, violent speech, etc.: "He explodified with cursing and horror, as his hand released the weapon".

—Related forms
explodifider, noun
explodified, explodifiding, verb
unexplodifided, adjective

Word Origin & History
explodify
English, 2011, from bigatdave "to explodify a Sig," originally, "explodinate a proofed gun (Sigs are proofed, right?)", later, "Explodify", to describe an intentional event, such as, ""I loaded up that teddy bear with tannerite, backed off to 50 yards, and explodified it" or "I was impressed at how well I was able to explodify that little propane cylinder"

Medical Dictionary
ex·plod·ify
to undergo a severe hand pain and astonishment instantly. The unexpected hand pain and mental surprise causes onset of shock, whether actual physical injury has or has not occurred.

Famous Quotations

"It takes quite a screwed-up load to explodinate a proofed gun."

"If "Explodinate" isn't a real word, it should be. It sounds like what it describes!"
Last edited by lucam on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.