Bodyguard 380

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Bodyguard 380

Post by greener » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:48 am

Smith & Wesson's entry into the pocket .380 market. Integrated laser. There is, or was, a promotion on these that had them selling for ~$330. Coworker asked me about them, I said I knew nothing, but I was pretty sure S&W would put out a decent product and their CS was superior. Besides, the others in this class with lasers were going for more. He bought two. I'm taking him to the range in a week or so and will be able to get a bit more info.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I'd like to hear more about this one when you get back from the range. It doesn't appear to be much smaller than a Glock 26/27/33.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:56 am

THIS ONE IS LCP SIZE I'VE SEEN A COUPLEBUT HAVE NOT SHOT ONE. THEY LOOK OK, BUT i DON'T KNOW HOW i FEEL ABOUT THE INTEGRATED LASER.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:15 am

After buying the CT laser form my M&P, I'm not that enthused about having one. If the price were right and I wanted the pistol, I'd get one with a laser. I wouldn't add another laser. The only time you can practice with the laser I have is on a dark cloudy day, so I don't get much practice. I assume the laser bore sight is still good.

On the full size, I'd rather have a Surelight like you do on your Glock. With the mouse guns I'd rather have a full size mag light in my left hand. But if everything else works well with the S&W, the integrated laser is not a detractor, especially since it is closing in on the price of the LCP.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:42 pm

There are alot of pros and cons about lasers. OM brings up a good point when he says he doesn't
want to give his "location" away. I personally enjoy them for the uniqueness of them while target
practicing, basically, an expensive toy. I had CTC laser grips for my Beretta M9 that I sold
because I didn't like the way they made my "grip" feel when I activated them to the on position.
I felt like my finger/hand pressure was not natural when activating the laser with my finger,
altering my POA. I think the best option going is tritium sights. I am amazed at how they work in the dark,
allowing you to aim just as well as if it were day time. Also, you don't give up you position as you would with
a red/green beam coming off your gun. I think alot of people buy lasers for the wrong reasons, like: "they are cool",
"my gun has an accessory rail, so I've got to put something there", etc. Face it, do you really want to give away
your position in the "heat of the night"? With that being said, I am probably going to get a laser for the rail on my Beretta M9A1, but not
because I want to use it for self defense, but because it will be fun to mess around with at the range. Basically, a cool looking toy.
Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I will give away my position with thw muzzle flash, that will most likely be the last thin Mr Bad Guy gets to see.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I will give away my position with thw muzzle flash, that will most likely be the last thin Mr Bad Guy gets to see.
Well said. I'm in complete agreement with you on this.

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 pm

It's kind of interesting to watch the average shooter with a laser sight. Frequently the little dot is fairly well aligned with the target until just before the shot, when the lack of trigger control causes the dot to jump to some other place on the target and a bullet hole appears there. I'm not criticizing laser sights here, I'm just pointing out how obvious the dot makes this common error.

Y

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 pm

It's kind of interesting to watch the average shooter with a laser sight. Frequently the little dot is fairly well aligned with the target until just before the shot, when the lack of trigger control causes the dot to jump to some other place on the target and a bullet hole appears there. I'm not criticizing laser sights here, I'm just pointing out how obvious the dot makes this common error.
You must have been watching me shoot when I had my laser ! :oops:
Actually, for me, the best place for a laser is at the range, messing around with it. I still might get one for my Beretta though, either that or a bayonet .
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I like lasers they are great if you have to shoot from an unconventional position where a a god sight picture is unavailabe.......I am not sure how I feel about a laser that is BUILT into a gun.if you have a laser issue your whole gun has to get sent in to get fixed, where an add on Crimson trace, Viridian, lasermax, etc you only have to send the laser.

Peronally I like the rail mounted light or light/laser combos. because I think it is important to ID your target before you shoot it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I like lasers they are great if you have to shoot from an unconventional position where a a god sight picture is unavailabe.......I am not sure how I feel about a laser that is BUILT into a gun.if you have a laser issue your whole gun has to get sent in to get fixed, where an add on Crimson trace, Viridian, lasermax, etc you only have to send the laser.

Peronally I like the rail mounted light or light/laser combos. because I think it is important to ID your target before you shoot it.
Shoot them first, sort them out later when you have more time.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I like lasers they are great if you have to shoot from an unconventional position where a a god sight picture is unavailabe.......I am not sure how I feel about a laser that is BUILT into a gun.if you have a laser issue your whole gun has to get sent in to get fixed, where an add on Crimson trace, Viridian, lasermax, etc you only have to send the laser.
Good points !
That made me laugh :D :D :D
haka

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:I like lasers they are great if you have to shoot from an unconventional position where a a god sight picture is unavailabe.......I am not sure how I feel about a laser that is BUILT into a gun.if you have a laser issue your whole gun has to get sent in to get fixed, where an add on Crimson trace, Viridian, lasermax, etc you only have to send the laser.

He has to do the paperwork. A sure way to cool your shooting jets. :lol:

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Strictly in the interest of firearms research, I went to the gun show this morning. One dealer had a Bodyguard .380 for $339. Same length as the LCP, just a bit blockier. Fit my hand as wall as any of the mouse guns.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 pm

greener wrote:Strictly in the interest of firearms research, I went to the gun show this morning. One dealer had a Bodyguard .380 for $339. Same length as the LCP, just a bit blockier. Fit my hand as wall as any of the mouse guns.
Well,,,,,,did you take it home? :wink: