Self Defense

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

The smaller calibers are a lot easier to recover in a small gun. Like Hak said, you can empty a Bobcat in under three seconds, and keep 'em all on a paper plate.

The main complaint I've heard on the LCP is how it jumps so bad and is uncomfortable to shoot. Seems it would take some practice to not flinch, anticipating the muzzle flip and hard recoil.

The Micro Desert Eagle is often described as actually painful to shoot. I'd rather put 6 .22's in the BG's mid section, than one .380 in the middle and 5 who knows where.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 pm

ruger22 wrote:The smaller calibers are a lot easier to recover in a small gun. Like Hak said, you can empty a Bobcat in under three seconds, and keep 'em all on a paper plate.

The main complaint I've heard on the LCP is how it jumps so bad and is uncomfortable to shoot. Seems it would take some practice to not flinch, anticipating the muzzle flip and hard recoil.

The Micro Desert Eagle is often described as actually painful to shoot. I'd rather put 6 .22's in the BG's mid section, than one .380 in the middle and 5 who knows where.
That's why I chose .32acp for my mouseguns. It just shoots better, and as a bonus you can store a lot more in the same space.
But the primary reason was so MrsBFD could shoot it comfortably, with availability & storage secondary considerations.

I still think .22lr can get you out of a lot more trouble than harsh words or a blade, surely not enough gun to go looking for trouble ... but enough to meet Rule#1 (bring a gun) so long as proficiency and reliability are maintained.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:14 pm

I prefer for a mouse gun a 380 but not the Micro size a little bigger is just fine and just as easy to conceal (just about) my ppk/s is just about right except it dosen't ride as nicely as the J-frame for pocket carry,

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:44 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:I prefer for a mouse gun a 380 but not the Micro size a little bigger is just fine and just as easy to conceal (just about) my ppk/s is just about right except it dosen't ride as nicely as the J-frame for pocket carry,
The J frame is a really nice carry, the P3AT is my wither time off side coat pocket carry.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Bottom line. What you have with you is better than NOT having anything. Bigger is always better if you have a way to comfortable conceal it. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:43 pm

It's a shame that we have to carry such items when going for a neighborhood walk,
but I have been everything but bitten so far from dogs of careless dog owners.
Dogs have charged me, and mouthed my hand, up to an including a pit bull breed.
Let me tell you, it scares the tar out of you when it happens. Our community
is hashing over some pit bull laws that could ban pit bulls completely. I hope so!!!
I do have a good grasp on when to use such things, and it would be a "last" choice/option for me,
but it is there if I ever need it. These are my "walking companions".
Haka

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Your bonkin' stick needs a wrist thong, you might want to consider upgrading to an expanding/collapsible baton in the long run.

As far as aggressive dogs, the best advice on minimizing pain with dog bites is effective but counter-intuitive. If you are going to be bit, don't pull back, don't hit the dog on the head ... shove your fist or arm INTO the mouth, try to reach out the back end for full effect. Grab the collar and pull if given the chance.
It works, doesn't harm the dog too horribly, and leaves you as the established dominant participant of the encounter without tearing up your arm/hand as bad as trying to pull away, which also puts you into the "prey" role.

I've had to use it twice, it was highly effective each time, once was a fairly large dog of no particular breed, the other was a lab mix of middling size.

And so long as I'm offering unwanted advice, you'd be able to conceal that little Kahr about anywhere in a better holster, you might need to drop to a flush-fit mag though.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:47 pm

I think most highly populated cities have what they call agressive dog ordnance. This is open to include all dod's that attacks unprovolked. I would probably use a walking stick with a weighted head to make it very effective if needed. The reason some carry golf club irons. But what you carry will work very well.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 pm

I've used an 18" bat and a squirt gun with household ammonia. A face full of ammonia seems to cool the dog's ardor.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:17 pm

A five "D" cell Maglite works wonders on softening up aggressive dogs' attitudes. Besides if you need a light at night, your walking companion 5-D can illuminate your way. More than once I've had a person approaching me with unknown intent turn and depart the area at first sight of my handy flashlight.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Bullseye wrote:A five "D" cell Maglite works wonders on softening up aggressive dogs' attitudes. Besides if you need a light at night, your walking companion 5-D can illuminate your way. More than once I've had a person approaching me with unknown intent turn and depart the area at first sight of my handy flashlight.

R,
Bullseye
Keep one with an LED bulb in the car and by the bed.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm

greener wrote:
Bullseye wrote:A five "D" cell Maglite works wonders on softening up aggressive dogs' attitudes. Besides if you need a light at night, your walking companion 5-D can illuminate your way. More than once I've had a person approaching me with unknown intent turn and depart the area at first sight of my handy flashlight.

R,
Bullseye
Keep one with an LED bulb in the car and by the bed.
.I think th COP flaslight in my Montero Range Bag is a SIX cell.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm

The five and 6 d cells are just too big and heavy, th e4 cell with LED bulb is very nice though. I do prefer the Mag charger rechargeable 3-4 d size over the d cells jsut because it gets expensive to replace batteries a lot and the rechargables tend to be a bit brighter, what you give up in heft and length you make up for in a faster swing, kind of like choking up on a louisville slugger.

Plus it is waaay better to explain to a jury that you hit someone with your flash light that you carry to light your way than a club.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:
Plus it is waaay better to explain to a jury that you hit someone with your flash light that you carry to light your way than a club.
That would sound a lot better in court, than I just hit him with my club.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:
That would sound a lot better in court, than I just hit him with my club.
plus its a multi-tasker you can get 2x the usefulness out of a flashlight than a club......or you could go to a walking stick and get more range on your swing. :wink: